What Basic Skills Do You Know That Would Be Invaluable In A Disaster?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by OursIsTheFury, Jul 7, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I know it's not much, but for me I can do basic medical treatment as well as help diagnose and treat illnesses. I graduated in nursing school and am fully licensed, and I think if an emergency ever arrives I can harness those years of studying and hospital duty into a real world scenario, with the help of other medical professionals, of course. What about you guys?

coffee and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    • Flint & steel fire lighting
    • Wet weather fire lighting

• Fire-bow fire lighting
    • Flintlock fire lighting
    • Flintlock use, service & repair
    • Field dressing & butchering game
    • Blade sharpening
    • Tomahawk throwing
    • Making rawhide
    • Brain tanning
    • Primitive shelter construction
    • How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket
    • Cordage manufacture
    • Moccasin construction and repair
    • Sewing
    • Axe and tomahawk helve making
    • Fishing
    • Hunting
    • Evasion
    • Tracking
    • Reading sign
    • Woods lore
    • Navigation
    • Primitive trap construction & trapping
    • Open fire cooking
    • Fireplace construction
    • Clothing manufacture
    • Drying meat & other foods
    • Knowledge of plant & fungi tinders & preparation
    • Knowledge of native foods & preparation
    • Scouting
    • Basic first aid
    Keith.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  3. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Im a nurse so I know first aid and some minor operations. I guess im am one of those priced possession during disaster huh.. ;););)

4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Depends on how good you are, I do not have a very good opinion of foreign nurses since I was last in hospital in Sydney. They made my life hell & I was lucky to leave there alive. I took myself out of there, & I will never go back.
    Keith.

Neiltarquin likes this.
  5. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:

I'm sorry to hear that. Well I've been practicing thr profession for 15 years now, i might consider myself a little bit knowledgable.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, we need more like you!
    Keith.

7. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Wife is a Nurse & herbalist / homeopathic student of nature. I have basic first aid skills. Master auto tech with some fabrication / engineering experience. Can McGuyver many things when needed.

8. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I love caring for livestock animals,
    all phases of raising a garden,
    canning: vegs, meats, soups, fruits, bacon, butter, cakes, nuts, etc.,
    dehydrating: vegs, meats, soups, stews, eggs, etc.,
    I love teaching things I know to others (training),
    I love to help others do anything, from building things, down to the simply things like cooking.

I have a BS degree in education. I currently home school and raise my 7 year old grandson.
    I have run several companies: HVAC & Construction & House Cleaning. I was at one time a woman owner of HVAC company, and owner of my own Home Improvement company (State of Virginia licensed Contractor). I have flipped a house; even used to carry a real estate license. I can help do almost anything. I love helping anybody. I know some medical, though not a nurse or doctor (I did do 1/2 the program for Respiratory Therapist). I have been doing prepping/self-sustainable preparing since late 1999. I have gardened and raised cows, goats, chickens, kids and grandkids.

This is who I am. And all I think about is getting outside and raising farm animals, and growing food.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Machinist, Gunsmith, Mechanic, Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter, Roofer, metal worker, knife maker, gardener, farmer, butcher, leather worker, Ammo reloader, writer, fisherman, hunter, poacher (same thing as hunter but much more productive as a skill to put food on the table), shadow dancer scout, Basic first aid, wife is medically trained and works in the dental field, Sewing, cooking, canning, Info geek and inventor. chemist in the raw old sense, psychologist, astronomer, philosopher and general know it all... that was a joke by the way...

10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    716bc0f3a62e1c5f3b6b2a0b565baa83.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

LOL LOL LOL Texdanm....

I think the readers digest version would be jack of all trades...master of none..!!! But still...a good resume..

Watcherchris....in a similr boat...

Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

You could do a whole lot worse Coffee...

I am not sure I read your post correctly...

Do I understand your post to say you know how to dehydrate eggs????

Thanks,

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Can do Morse Code and make my own transmitting/receiving antennas...

Basic mechanical skills....some carpentry....

Fishing....reloading.....

Mother taught me some basic sewing...including how to darn socks...I still make some of my own repairs and am grateful to my mother for teaching me how to do basic sewing. Keep a set of needles and a large bobbin of thread in my daily BOB along with a bit of waxed string.

Not much of a welder though I have a stick welder and also a wire feed machine. These have already paid for themselves in home repairs...and a few other projects...and I don't regret buying them.

Never used a wire feed machine before this one and it was interesting to realize you can do finer smaller repairs with this as compared to stick welding.

Well enough of that ....for now..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I have actually done the first 8 things for a living at one time or another. Before I started my own company I worked for a place that did All Maintenance Repair and Construction. We really did do it all. The rest are all various hobbies that I do. I left out, Drafting, Cement work, Slab repair, Indian bead work, Wood carving and Fly tying and others because they aren't really applicable. I like to make things. If I see something that I like I will sketch it and try to make it rather than buy it. It started out when I was young because I was poor but it became a fascinating thing to me and eventually a living. Once you have figured out how something is made and how it works you have no problem fixing it or building another. I am a jack of all trades and MASTER of some.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  15. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL Texdanm...

Thanks for the resume update.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Knowledge is the best tool you can have. My adaptability kept my family off the streets in the early 80s when the oil industry went toes up and every place that I had ever worked for went out of business.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Though we can look back on it with some humor , having come through hard times....when it happens it can be devastating.

But on a serious note....you are correct...Knowledge is the best tool you can have.....particularly in adaptability. And survival often means the ability to adapt to changing conditions and or circumstances.

Thanks again for the resume update.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelte

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I can forage a bit and have first aid skills. I can also light a fire without matches.

Little things but they may help.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.