What Do You Think About Traveling To Mars?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi, Space Travel, and Future Technologies' started by Denis_P, Jul 7, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    The notion of sending humans across the vast void of space and onto the surface of another planet has been a hot topic these last few years. What was once considered wishful thinking is now becoming a very real possibility, with visionaries such as Elon Musk hoping to send humans on a Mars mission as early as 2024.

Being a survivalist forum, I can assume that most of us here know a thing or two about surviving on planet Earth. But how do you feel about surviving on a desolate planet, over 225 million kilometers away from home? Given the opportunity to join a Mars colony, would you? And what is your opinion on the concept of colonizing Mars? Do you think making humans a multi-planetary species is necessary or just a bunch of sci-fi mumbo jumbo? Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    At the moment I wouldn't since there wouldn't be a way back from Mars. If I were around 60-70 with not a lot of years to live I would go, but at the moment I have a lot of stuff to do and I'm still relatively young. Traveling to Mars would be extremely cool though, just imagine how surreal it would feel to walk on the red planet.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd like to go and live on an uninhabited planet and start from scratch again, but just me, no colony.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about Mars, I think it is pretty desolate. The Earth will burn up eventually, but not in your time or mine. We could get hit by a comet, but then so could Mars. I would not mind settling on a new planet providing it could actually sustain life. But the thought of humans ruining another planet through greed for power & money sickens me.
    There are planets out there that sustain life, we know this because we know there are Aliens living out there who have already visited earth, though I suppose it is possible that the Alien craft were operated by robots, but somehow I doubt it. Trying to settle on one of their planets would I think be a big mistake.
    Keith.

5. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree that Mars is going to be a tough one. There are so many challenges to face besides desolation, that with the amount of money and research it would take we could use it to fix the planet we already live on. Terraforming, for example, so that we could support life outside of controlled environments would take a ridiculously long time and no doubt cost massive amounts of money. Thing is that with our limited technology, it's the only chance we have for the time being.

Your comment on us knowing that aliens are out there and have visited Earth has piqued my interest, and I'd love to hear more on your thoughts and what exactly you mean by us "knowing." As a result, I've started a new discussion solely on that topic so that others can weigh in on the matter as well.

Here's the link: http://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/do-you-believe-extraterrestrial-life-exists.3701/

6. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think if the human race survives, colonizing on Mars may be a project in the distant future, however, I think you will first see colonies on the moon. That seems like a project that will be much more likely to happen as the distance is not as vast.

7. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    That mision can be done, but of course is a mision with a escale more then we can imagine, we need time and new technologies to do it but in less of forty years all that who us think is impossible can be done, we only need to wait and hopes that can be real in some years.

8. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    There is just talk than hardly any walk. First it was the moon and now that chapter is closed. Anything to be noticed and this chapter will also soon close. Rather than squandering time and money on useless pursuits why not make the earth a better place to live?

9. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Would I join a Mars colony? No, thank you. The whole idea of traveling to Mars never truly appealed to me. I am more than happy where I am right now - firmly on planet Earth. Sooner or later, we will need to colonize another planet in order to survive as species because we're destroying Earth quite rapidly. However, I won't live long enough to see it... nor will my future kids.

I think colonizing Mars is still far, far away. Ideas and discussions are just the beginning... to make it an actual reality is a whole new level.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I think I have read that there are projects for Mars that are being planned. It would be exciting if a manned spaceship can go to Mars that wil, once and for all, put a closure to the speculations. I remember when I was a girl, so many talks about the moon that there are aliens there or even animals. Some folk legends here of mythical creatures are said to be coming from the moon. With Mars, I don't think there is life but my point in going there is for a potential exploration if man can live there. Isn't it a very challenging ambition?

11. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I think Mars could be the future of human resettlement. I think it would be very interesting to see how humans would fare on that planet, not forgetting that we are subject to evolution and that the planet Mars experiences different environmental conditions compared to Earth. I think the people that would settle over there might develop slightly different adaptations compared to those living on Earth.