What Does Being Prepared For The Worst Mean To You?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    No matter how prepared someone is sometimes things they hadn't planned for happen.

About 10 years ago, a plane crashed into the Atlantic ocean. There was only one survivor and he swam 200 km to get to the nearest coast.

Things like this happen. When you least expect it, you could find yourself in a survival situation. You could be traveling somewhere and there's an outbreak of a highly contagious disease. If you can't get out, what do you do?

Most of the emergencies people prepare, you know virtually everything you'll do but what of when the unexpected happens? What if you lose your survival gear? Are you always prepared for that?

2. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it simply means that you have taken all the different scenarios that might take place. It usually means to think of solutions for what may be typically unexpected. It also means being able to deal emotionally with unpleasant situations and coming up rationally with the best way to respond to such events.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    it means being as prepared as you can be, we can never prepare for all eventualities but just having some preparations in hand means one is ahead of those than cant or wont do anything to help themselves. i try to do as much as i can to ensure that me and mine have every chance of surviving, that is the bottom line.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You plan for a possibility. If you are going on an aircraft, carry things you will need in the pack you keep with you. Same on a boat or ship. Contagion? Isolate yourself. Grab provisions & get the hell out of there away from people. If we have to take a road trip, we have a pack for this to take with us.
    Keith.

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    The fact is, if you become the kind of person used to prepare for a worst case scenario, you wouldn't lead a normal life, you would become paranoid and security and safety obsessed. In the process, you are bound to make mistakes which would expose you to the very situations you want to avoid. But its good to be practical, to always have a plan A and plan B. Wherever you are, you should be able to figure not am escape route.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see anything negative about being prepared, if someone simply chooses to have blind faith in the system they may find that "ignorance is bliss" for awhile but when the sticky stuff hits the rotating blades it is going to be incredibly painful for them.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Being prepared to me means that I will not have to worry about leaving my house when on a national level it's not safe to go outside. It's a piece in mind because I know that I prepared for something that would originally leave me very vulnerable to the pressure of society. I know that a lot of people out there that don't prepare will have to depend on the assistance of the government, I don't want the governments help with anything.

I choose the independent life, and being prepared supports my interest for not wanting to let others take care of me on their own terms. You can't get what you want when you have to depend. If something happens, I'm comfortable still, and I love knowing that. It makes me feel great.

Don't be in the "Cast Away" scenario.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Being prepared for the worst is one thing, the innevitable eventually happenning is another. By preparing, we can only take precautional measures but we can not possibly protect ourselves from everything.

Now, I don't want to sound like a doomsayer. Taking all the necessary precautions is a great step towards dealing even with the innevitable.

This is because it will prepare you mentally. That way, you can respond other than question, act rather than react when disaster strikes.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "PREPARE for the worst, HOPE for the best".

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  10. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's more of a mental thing. If you are prepared to be faced with the worst case scenario at any time, with no prior notice, then you are ready for anything! Prepped or not, with gear or not. Of course, a few knives and tools would definitely help.. But if you have the mental strength you can do anything!

11. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I also believe it has something to do with being prepared mentally. Because you think about diverse scenarios, good, bad, worse case, etc.
    However, the question is if being mentally prepared is enough or not. I would think it isn't enough but it helps you to manage things better if you have the tools to implement your preparation plans.
    If you do not have the tools with you then that will change your whole planning arrangements.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if one has prepared mentally but has not prepared physically i.e. has only thought about getting stores in but has not actually done so, when the event happens you will be just the same as all the other people that haven't prepared, dependant on what others give you-which probably isn't much, or what you can steal. good luck with that.
    bear this in mind: a "prepper prepares, a non prepper does not prepare.
    which do you want to be?

13. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes we are unable to prepare for the worst depending on the time that disaster struck. You can't prepare for an earthquake since you never know when it will strike. One can prepare for a fire disaster because they may be alerted earlier. You can also prepare for floods if the weather man says so. You should consider having food and shelter first. Make sure that you have enough food to avoid being hungry.

14. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Prepare, prepare, prepare. And don't forget to prepare your mind as well. Because truly, none of us knows the future or what may happen. We can only prepare for the obvious possibilities and then prepare our minds to be survivors at all costs. Find new ways to think. Remain aware and open-minded.

15. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    To me, being prepared for the worst means exactly that. It's the kind of mentality and mind-set that military people, naval officers and astronauts have when leaving for a mission. You might not make it back alive and you need to be prepared for that reality. There are no shortcuts or maybe. Either yes or no. So in a SHTF situation, you need to tell yourself, I am here now and I will do all I can to survive. I am not going down without a fight.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that sounds like someone who dosent prepare until something is about to happen, real preppers prepare all the time-not just when something is forecast.

17. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The mention of worst gives me an idea of a situation that is a matter of life and death. Yeah, a plane crash or a sinking ship, maybe a fire in the building or a strong earthquake. In a situation like that, presence of mind is still the most important because life and death means a situation where you have to make the right decision in the quickest time possible. And you certainly cannot do that when you are in panic. As they say in the earthquake drill, be calm but move fast.

18. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Being prepared for the worst means to me to be prepared to die. That's the ultimate isn't it? The only thing worse than that to me would be to see my girls or grandbabies suffer. Being prepared to meet your maker makes it not so bad. I've had about enough of the craziness and inhumaneness of this place.

19. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    For me to be prepared for the worst is to expect something bad come from something, For example if you invest hour money you need to expect that you can lose that money and have another option to keep going, So that option is what I call to be prepared however When it comes to people you you have to expect disapointments and all bad things That helps to not be soo disappointed when they do worst things even of we still get disappointed no matter how much we think we were prepared :)

20. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    That does not mean that one must prepare for an eventuality but face the eventuality. It is not possible to think of things that may happen and it is therefore not possible to pack up things, just in case. Rather just face whatever be the consequences.

21. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It means you shouldn't always prepare for only what you are aiming but rather, you should consider all the possibilities of what may happen on the course of achieving your aim. Unexpected things might happen, but if you are being prepared for it, tackling it won't be a problem.