What First Aid Have You Had To Administer To Help Or Save A Life

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Blitz, Jan 11, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    After reading a few posts regarding first aid, splint usage and the like, it got me wondering what instances people have had to use their knowledge of first aid to either help someone or save someone's life.

I'm thinking that a few posters here live on properties, some in remote locations, which got me thinking about the practicalities of first aid when help isn't immediately available.

I've been pretty blessed and not been in such a position (as yet) to have to administer first aid, other than a band aid and such like, but am keen to learn from others.

So what experiences have you had?

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was spending a lot of time in remote locations, like two days travel to civilisation, so I decided to take an EMT course. At a refresher course I got recruited as a volunteer at the local ambulance service. I've done my share of life saving. I even brought one dead woman back to life. If you want to learn first aid I highly recommend volunteering at your local ambulance service. The training and experience will last you the rest of your life.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  3. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Two years ago in November my dad had just come home from his out of state job for the Winter. He was on the computer in the living room and I was in bed. As I'm a night owl so I was just getting up at around 7 PM and I just like to lay there before I climb out of bed. While I was laying there I heard my mom cry for help in the living room upstairs. "Aaron, Aaron, help!" I knew right then something was very wrong and I always think of these things in my mind should something happen. So I jumped out of bed and ran up stairs and there my dad was in the chair in front of the computer slummed face forward not breathing. My mom who was on the phone with 9-11 said she thought he chocked because she heard him take a giant gasp of breath. Like the breath you take if you laugh too hard. So I was doing the Heimlich maneuver and that wasn't working. So 9-11 dispatch said to get him on the floor right away to start compressions. Now I'm not CPR certified, but I did learn it a little while I was a firefighter explorer many years ago which back then never had the concept of hands only CPR. It was the ABC thing. But from YouTube videos I've watched and a commercial about doing compressions to the tune of staying alive (HA, HA, HA, staying alive, staying alive. HA, HA, HA) I knew pretty much what to do. Your compressions are timed to the HA HA's.

So I weigh like 330 lbs and giving those compressions was really putting its toll on my energy level at the same time I was emotional doing that to my own dad. What seemed like a very long time the EMTs and fire department finally showed up. The EMT had to zap him three damn times. You don't jump up like in the movies. At least my dad didn't. He kinda jerked to the side and made a sound. That electric shock is one powerful shock!

So to the hospital he went and so did we. While at the hospital I was in the chapel and thinking he might have brain damage because if the brain doesn't have oxygen in a certain amount of time you can go brain dead. His face was red while I was giving CPR. Finally we were allowed to see him and there he was conscious and alive but confused which had me thinking about brain damage. He thought he was still out of state since he just got home three days prior and didn't understand why my mom was at the hospital. The doctor had to give me a fist bump and said great work.

While he was in the ICU they said it was the widow maker. Rare is it to survive something like that. So he had a stent put in and now takes all kinds of pills. For about a week or two when he got back from the hospital he also had to wear a heart monitor that connected via Bluetooth to a smartphone that sent his vitals back to where ever. But all is good thus far.

So, that's my life saving story. Never thought it'd be my own dad. I always asked God about saving a life one day and here it's my own dad. Pretty crazy.

So with that. Go to YouTube and learn CPR. At least go that far. You never know when you'll need to use it. It's bound to happen one day in your life. Even someone choking at a restaurant. I read a story a few years back that Heimlich himself had to use his own life saving maneuver on someone and saved their life. Pretty crazy.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Blitz like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I have personally done a first aide course. BUT it was a number of years ago now. Can't help to have a refresher.

The local Community Centre ran them when I first moved here. Unfortunately, I missed them by a week. They were free too, which is always a bonus.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bah humbug! Me, I'm big into euthanasia. When I come up on someone horribly injured, I simply go back to the truck and get my .22 rifle. Pow! No more suffering. Kind'a proud of my work. I used to put down horses in Kentucky, so trust me, I'm a professional. The put-down man has been a very respected member of every community going back centuries.

Sometimes injured people claim to want to go on living. Yeah, sure! It's the delirium. OK, so they're screaming and crawling away -- I just walk walk up and Pow! Putting these poor folk writhing in pain out of their misery is how I return all of the blessings that have been visited upon me in my own life.

upload_2020-1-11_21-5-48.png

It is perfectly legal for royalty to euthanize soldiers who have allowed their uniforms to go unkempt, therefore I see no reason I cannot continue with my noble cause in service to my community.

upload_2020-1-11_21-17-51.png

This officer of the Put-Down Squad in her Minnesota community was given a high commendation for ending the suffering of this homeless man. He was well into the last stage of freezing to death and could only moan. The officer immediately drew her weapon and put an end to his suffering. We salute you, officer Jennifer Dahmer!

upload_2020-1-11_21-26-5.png

7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Love your work Old Geezer, hahahaha!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Jennifer Dahler .......

My day is made !

Thank you Old Geezer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

You wouldn't happen to own a large, black cloak and a sickle, would you? Go by the name Reaper or Banshee?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Reaper / Prepper, hey what's the big difference?! And, do you not like my attire? My scythe, what's wrong with a scythe? In England, the immigrants they've brought in are stabbing people, especially true in the big cities. I think that many civilized British would like to be carrying a big scythe right about now!

My wife thinks I'm cute ... OK, she does insist that I keep my hood up. She likes my deep voice -- that's something!

Old Reaper
    0afea6e66ac8951d7da70769b54f957e.jpeg

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I actually had you pinned for Father Time. LOL! :D