What first aid supplies are a must?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by branchd77, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    What first aid supplies are a must in your disaster preparedness kits?

2. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    This may be kind of basic, but for people new to this, the first thing in your kit should be education. That a basic first aid class. Then start to build your kit.

Ricky Jeringan and Jason like this.
  3. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    Good point Gene

4. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Education is absolutely a must, learn how to treat the injuries correctly and the bare essentials needed to treat most common injuries. Take first aid classes if possible, start with the basic class and if you want to learn more find some more advanced classes, read books, watch videos while you can, talk to others. Very good point to hit on Gene.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  5. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    I have been taking a first aid class every two years sense 1982. Things have changed alot from my first class, so keep up on the education, new things and methods come out all the time.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I was trained in battlefield first aid and battlefield trauma first aid, basic first aid, cpr, and learned a lot along the way of life.

7. Ricky Jeringan

Ricky Jeringan Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    aint that right i am a first responder keep up on your classes read books and watch videos and talk to others and learn all you can

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was a first aider on British construction sites, if that's anything to go by most injuries will be cuts, scrapes and grazes, rather than anything major. in a shtf event i'd be more worried about diseases and hygiene issues more than broken bones.

9. FF Medic

FF Medic Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    I would agree with education. There are some really good an small (great to pack) quick guides to first aid. You should have the knowledge first, but in emergencys people need a quick reminder.

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A must have is super glue good supply of it will close up a cut quick and by healed time the glue removes easy

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A small sewing kit with slik string white and needles sew up bleeders quick

13. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have carried a basic first aid kit nearly continuously since 1974
    and other than updating yearly have rarely used it on myself and only occasionaly used it on others!

Time spent learning basic anatomy beats silly little first aid courses every time!
    and time spent learning how the body heals itself is golden!

Gloves and lots of them, hand cleaner and antiseptic/ fluid/cream and wipes and lots of!

14. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Anti septic and sterile water is crucial because it's much easier to clean and treat a wound than it is to treat sepsis with no medical help. Infection is a survivalists nightmare!

15. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Apart from education, one item you can't do away with is methylated spirit. Its very essential when it comes to cleaning all kinds of wounds and grazes. I have also discovered a very easy method to seal a wound. Slaked lime solidifies quite fast when mixed with some water resulting in the plugging of a wound. I almost forgot the good old bandage as well as distilled water. Most first aid emergencies come from injuries. It would also be absolutely prudent to carry antivenom.

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    only pack those items you know how to use, packing anything you don't have a clue how to use is just wasting space.

17. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    Three things that I would include in a safety kit would be acetaminophen(Tylenol), hydrogen peroxide, and first aide spray.

18. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Believe it or not, duct tape would be important. You can seal up a blister or cut, you could probably even immobilize a break with it. It's very versatile and can be a big help in lots of areas, first aid included.

19. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree that education and first aid training is a must. I have been trained in CPR and am just beginning to build a good first aid kit/small box. So far, I have aspirin, an antiseptic, gauze, tape, benedryl, an antibiotic cream , and an ace bandage. (It just dawned on me while writing that I need to add a pair of scissors.) It is a work in progress and I am trying to be thoughtful about what I add.