What Got You Interested In Living Off The Land, Survival, And Prepping?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by awc90, May 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. awc90

awc90 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    What got you interested in living off the land, survival, and prepping? I became interested as the price of groceries and basic needs started rising. Eventually, it will get to a point where lower class families will not be able to survive without supplementing their food supply with game and natural, raw foods (best case scenario). Worst case scenario is the fear that money as we know it today will no longer be accepted and I refuse to have any chip in my body that allows me to buy/sell.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid our family home was a large 18th century farm house with a large garden. My parents grew all our own fruit & vegies. I had a strong interest in Daniel Boone & Davy Crockett. From about the age of 3 or 4 I was lighting camp fires in the garden & cooking meat that my mother gave me. As I got older I spent all my time out in the woods & fields with a bow & learning how to make & set traps. I made my first crude muzzle-loading gun when I was about 10 years of age. Play came to a halt when at the age of 14 I was in full time work, but by this time I had an air rifle. As soon as I was old enough to get a gun licence I got myself a shotgun & spent all my spare time hunting for meat for the table. This was in England.
    Eventually in my late teens I realised that I no longer wanted to remain in England. The woods & fields of my childhood were now covered in housing estates. So I left England & came to Australia. I travelled right round Australia on my own, getting work where I could. I purchased my first rim fire .22 rifle in West Australia when I was working on a farm. Eventually I finished up in Darwin, fell in love with a gorgeous redhead. Cyclone Tracey hit in Xmas 1974 & I lost everything except my 4WD Landcruiser, my .22 rifle & a 12 gauge shotgun. We were lucky to still be alive. I married the girl & moved out bush off grid. I hunted for all our own meat & we grew our own food. I joined a local pistol club & one day on the range I heard a different sound from a pistol & the smell of black powder wafted by & drew me to this bloke using a cap & ball revolver. My interest in muzzle-loading was rekindled.
    I met an American bloke at the pistol club who was also into black powder, & he introduced me to "Buckskinning". At last I had found what I had been searching for, an 18th century lifestyle. This grew into a love of Living History & I started collecting & making all I could to do with a Daniel Boone lifestyle. I was at this time not what we call a prepper now, but I grew up with parents who had been through WW2, & they were preppers & survivors before the terms were coined. I just took my cue from them & lived the same lifestyle. But I soon came to realise that 18th century living history had many advantages over & above being a fun hobby. The equipment was made to last & was sustainable, so were the skills & methods. With this kind of lifestyle I can live in the wilderness long term & retain a certain level of comfort. It was a rough & dangerous life living in the Territory, we had our horses shot & our guard dogs shot. I did not think that our property at that time was worth losing our lives over, so we sold up & moved to New England in NSW.
    We purchased a forest here & built a cottage. We put in gardens, & again I hunted for our meat, this time with a .62 caliber flintlock fusil. For over 20 years we lived a virtual 18th century lifestyle with no electricity. Now we live in a modern house which is self-reliant in all services including solar power electricity.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Elm Cottage up the hill & Linstock House in Wychwood Forest.
    [​IMG]
    Part of our wood supply which we use all year round for cooking & heating.
    [​IMG]
    Sunrise.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think you are right, the lifestyle that the majority are living today is not sustainable. Unless there is a major change, such as the corrupt governments working for the people instead of working for themselves, then things could get bad. How long this will take though I have no idea. I think you have made a wise move, well done young lady.
    Regards, Keith.