What Gun Is Best If You Only Get To Have One

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by TexDanm, Jun 8, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The AR-7 is a great camp gun. It is light, accurate enough for small game and water proof in a backpack. Stick a 25 round magazine in it and it provides pretty good fire power. It is the one gun that always goes when I go camping.

If I'm going to be all alone I like my Ruger Security 6 357 mag in a cross draw flap style military holster. The flap protects it from rain and cross draw is more comfortable for me. Also since I am bidextrious the left hand draw isn't a bad choice for me though I prefer to shoot right handed. Bidextrious means that I do some things right handed and some things left handed but am more capable than most at using either hand. I shoot right handed but throw left handed. When I am in the woods I don't expect to have to make a quick draw and the flap is only held by a patch of velcro so it doesn't slow me down that much.

I like the 357 mag because if I want to I can load it with low powered 38 specials and shoot bunnies with it and not tear them up. Where I live since we don't have bears a 357 mag is all you need to animal defence and the 38 special is a pleasure to shoot. I have a sweet little winchester Trapper in 357 mag that really shoots well and is enough for even our small white tail deer in the woods where you are usually shooting under 100 yards. It also will shoot the 38 specials.

In reference to the sad gun situation all over the old British Empire. The stupid thing is that in every case where guns have been eliminated the murder rate has never been positively affected. There are still shootings in London and even more people getting stabbed. The only people that are safe are the criminals. Are the cops in England still bringing billy clubs to the gun fights? I mean cops here are pretty useless but how much good is a guy with a stick going to be if someone is shooting at you?

2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    again by Ystranc on page 1 of this thread..

I had to laugh a long time when I heard in the news what the Mayor of London is considering to solve the knife problem which is running rabid in that city. Acid too.

Talk about Leadership...that is 24 carat pure leadership at work.

Don't worry Ystranc....our leadership in Washington DC is rapidly becoming just as Tabloid as is the Mayor of London.

Our current Supreme Court hearings are proving this out...about Tabloid ....just as is the case in London.

Your lucky you don t live in London. Me too....but give it time..it will spread like the flu. Ishmaelites cannot help it...

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    OMG!! You could debate this question like Politics and Religion. Nobody is going to be right. Nobody is going to be wrong. More than likely, nobody's mind is going to be changed, but it is still more fun than you can have legally with your clothes on.

I will weigh in on the side of the handgun. Lots of reasons for this, but specifically, the .357 Magnum. I prefer handguns. It is what I started with. What I learned on. What I have fired, and practiced with the most. A handgun is arguably easier to carry, and more accessible. The .357 has the option of three types of ammo. Lighter, .38 Special could be used for small game, and the heavier magnum loads for larger game. Granted, the range will be limited, but I don't know that the gun has to have more capability than my eyesight. I really don't feel comfortable shooting anything more than a hundred yards away. The .357 will be effective against the largest predators in my area. Ammo is readily available. If I can only have one it will be a .357 Magnum, and more than likely a Ruger GP100.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    For me, it needs to be able to be multi purpose. It needs to be able to be used well at close range as well as longer ranges, light weight and with light weight ammo, which is why I previously stated the Tavor X95 or the sig 556. I like shooting the sig a bit better, but I think the x95 is more versatile.

A handgun wouldn't be an option for me as they obviously don't have the range nor ballistic ability as a rifle, at least in any normal handgun caliber. The ability to more easily carry it or conceal it is of little consequence to me as I doubt I'd have to worry about it.

A shotgun could be a good choice, lots of different ammo types, barrel configurations, etc. However for me, the ammo is to heavy, they typically dont have high capacity, and the ones that do are unwieldy imo. I could see why some would choose them, just not for me.

Flint locks and other primitive weapons just don't do it for me. I want more than one shot. If all your worried about is hunting, then it could be a good choice as making round balls, your own gun powder and finding flint is fairly easily doable. For me, I'm more worried about defense than pretty much anything else, and I'd like to be able to put multiple rounds down range very quickly.

Just my opinions though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I have never owned a firearm and I never will, because the Government will Protect me, the Police are my Friends, and besides, Guns Kill People.

Just kidding.

The subject really hasn't come up for me, since I will shelter in place. However, if I were forced to'bug out', and I had room to carry and use a firearm, I suppose it would by my favorite firearm: a Ruger 10-22 Take-down autoloading rifle in .22 LR. It is more accurate than a pistol, and yet is low-profile enough (and can be made quiet enough) not to commit the ultimate crime of a bug-out person: drawing attention to oneself.

I have two 10-22's, the stock take-down and a heavy barrel fixed stock with a 3-9 X 50 scope. I consider them my two favorite rifles.

I have owned a Smith revolver in .357 and wish I still had it; if I did, I'd probably run out and buy a Marlin lever-action rifle in the same chambering. However, as I may have mentioned earlier, Dawn mentioned that the state of Idaho has a $50,000 surcharge on purchase of any more firearms than I presently own.

I do agree with my esteemed colleague Mr. Texdanm that a multi-barrel shotgun is an excellent investment; I, too, have the Mossberg 500 with the 18-in and 28-in barrel, although I see that more as a home-defense firearm than a bug-out one.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    C'mon Guys. Play fair. The post says " ONE ". Not one rifle, one, handgun, one shotgun.

If we are going to up the ante then I will go with a revolver and lever action both in the same caliber. More than likely 357 magnum for the reasons I mentioned previously. I might swing over to 44 magnum. Tempting.

TMT Tactical likes this.