What Insect Tastes The Best?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Toast, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never eaten an insect before, but which one tastes the best? Would it be better to try cooking an insect first? Would that improve the taste at all? The prospect of eating an insect, is one that disgusts me on many levels. The fact that they have a hard exoskeleton, and that they would crunch and throw fluid everywhere in your mouth. I honestly hope I never have to eat insects in my life, but if I do, I wanna know which ones taste the best!

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably a whitchitty grub although I've never eaten one.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Earthworms may also be great-tasting. Those who've eaten them say they taste like chicken skin.

Roasted winged termites are also quite delicious but as they swarm only seasonally they are not a food source you'd find reliable.

According to someone who thinks he's an expert in eating insects, cockroaches have a texture and taste of greasy chicken. They don't. I accidentally tasted one many years back while traveling and all I can say is they can be great at inducing vomiting. That's how horrible tasting they are.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would say witchetti grubs, honey ants & possibly termites, though I have never tried them myself. I often find witchetti grubs when we are cutting wood, next time I must remember to bring some home & try them. Better lightly fried I have read, or place them in hot ashes.
    [​IMG] Witchetti grub.
    Keith.

5. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Crickets and grasshoppers taste pretty good, especially roasted over an open fire or baked in an oven. Just remove the antenna, wings and legs as they are barely edible and are tough going down.

6. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Although their lifecycle is a great example of the ultimate in boom-and-bust in the insect word, locusts are renowned for not only being edible but also being considered a delicacy in the Middle East. FACT: Locusts are the only insect deemed to be Kosher so they can be eaten by anyone.

7. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm a huge fan of the show Bizarre Foods and you'd be surprised how many places he visits where bugs are eaten regularly! I've seen crickets on there a lot in a variety of ways and I've actually wanted to try them for quite some time now. I've heard they're pretty good. Every time I saw them eaten they were cooked though. The idea of eating a live insect makes me cringe. If it's cooked, it's a lot easier for me to wrap my head aroun.

8. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When I think of people eating insects, I think of the show survivor. I agree in that it's not something I would want to do. I had a patient tell me one time that her mom would make chocolate covered ants. I looked at her laughing because I thought it was a joke. She was looking really serious because she was and didn't think it was funny. Her take was whatever momma gave me is good for me. I thought ok, to each his own.

9. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Good luck if you are eating them raw. I have only tried them deep fried and with soy sauce. Once you get it deep fried it will kill any bacteria that may linger, and it cooks it right through. I highly suggest you do that for starters.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i don't think any of them taste that wonderful raw, i'm told their not too bad if you flash fry them.

11. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    After eating chitterlings for the first time, I think that there is basically anything that you can make taste good enough to eat especially if you use some types of flavorings among other additives. I think you might want to ask the exact opposite. What bugs are so vile that you should avoid eating them completely?

12. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Termites do taste good. You can prepare them easily since you only need to fry them on shallow cooking oil. You can add a little salt to enhance the taste. I have also eaten crickets. You can also fry them and enjoy your meals. Others mix crickets with flour after crushing them thereby making cakes or biscuits.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have to admit that I haven't eaten a good insect, I mean a good taste. But my husband who has that adventurous personality and experience say that the beetle is the best insect that he had tasted. In the province, the beetles are caught in the dry soil of the farm. They catch it by hand and kept in a bottle with a cap. At home, the beetle is cleaned by removing the wings. And then it is fried. Sometimes it is marinated and there is also a soup dish that they say is delicious. Here is the photo of an edible beetle that I caught in our backyard the other week.... IMG_1969 beetle.JPG

14. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't intend to find out!
    I'd go for frogs and fish before bugs.
    I like frogs and fish and they are larger than bugs and have much more protein.
    I'd rather eat a stray cat!

15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Witchetti grub & termites (white ants). I hear Honey ants are good too.
    Keith.

16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Yuk. To each his own.
    Enoy.
    Bon appitet.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    one never knows what we might eat in a survival situation if we had to.

18. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    That's why I prep, so I won't resort to eating bugs.
    I'll eat dogs and cats first if necessary but I'm banking on prepping skills to carry me and mine
    through.
    Prepping skills.
    Why we are here.
    Anyone frying maggots has been in deep doo-doo for a bit don'cha'think?
    Pro'ly on the brink of death and if so eating maggots ain't gonna help.
    Like drinking urine when out of water.
    People that do that and live did so in spite of it rather than because of it.
    Google that and become enlightened.
    No one here knows everything. If anyone already knew everything about surviving anything
    they wouldn't need to be here.
    A smart person knows he knows not.