What Is A Atlatl

Discussion in 'Hunting With Primitive Tools' started by Bishop, Feb 5, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

0503121506a.jpg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I love atlatls, and I enjoy making and using them.

I don't have the nerve (yet) to go after a wild boar with an atlatl like this guy did in the video below, but if pressed to hunt in SHTF situations I am certain that could easily take down a variety of animals with one. (I have bowhunted for many years, and practiced throwing atlatls for more than a few years.)

https://www.hunter-ed.com/missouri/studyGuide/Using-an-Atlatl/202025_700136533/
    As of this writing it is illegal to hunt with an atlatl in some places in the USA:

http://www.thudscave.com/petroglyphs/atlatlstatelaws.htm But IMO, if you have private hunting land or it is SHTF time...then it's game on!

I am a huge proponent of primitive tools and weapons because they can be readily made with just about any materials on hand...even so-called "trash." (Functional arrowheads are easily made with old broken toilets, glass jars, mirrors, etc.)

This video will give you an idea of how one can be made on the spot, without any pre-made tools...and then used to take down a boar.

Bishop and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Wide metal "banding" or "strapping" material is easily sharpened into broadheads and can be found in many business dumpsters.

You could get many small blades out of something like this:
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Oatey-3...ping&msclkid=ae9d717dd83b13071e0a2d1ace1413b2
    It's much easier than trying to fashion blades from stone or glass.

Old eating utensils can be hammered into functional blades too.

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Good ideas, Snyper!

As for me, I (and most flintknappers) can bang out an arrowhead much quicker than it would take to work with metals. Most newbies that I have taught are surprised at how easy it is to quickly make even a rough tool in mere minutes. Of course, if you want to fashion a show-quality blade, it will take longer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the atlatl in that video is quite small but the spear is HUGE! does it really need to be that long?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    The length ensures accuracy. Some can be as short as five feet long, but won't be as accurate as the seven to ten footers.

They are also quite powerful: In the 16th century, the Aztecs fought Cortez with atlatls powerful enough to pierce the Spanish armor!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    even 5ft sounds huge, I thought maybe they would be the length of an average arrow.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    The reason why the shorter arrows work in a bow is that the speed behind the thrust is so much greater. The speed behind the throw in the atlatl is a LOT slower.

A good analogy might be something like throwing a bullet with your hand, versus shooting it out of a gun...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    okay thanks, 5ft it is then.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Tip: if you use the five-footer, first practice throwing at a short distance, say around 15 or 20 feet, then gradually increase the distance as you master it.

You will have a blast, and be amazed by the power of this ancient weapon!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got to make it first!!:D that's been my problem all along getting the right piece of wood to make the thrower, the spear isn't a problem but the thrower is.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Here are some excellent tips: https://www.wildernesscollege.com/atlatl.html

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.