What is evryone's best water filter?

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Larry, Jan 17, 2016.

What is evryone's best water filter? 4 5 1votes
4/5, 1 vote

1. Larry

Larry Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    What is the best natural water filter? Should I buy something man made and stock up or just use something natural locks rocks? I have no idea so any insights would be great.

Joey smith and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    A store bought personal filter I would suggest a life straw, a mass filter to clean a lot of water I'm not sure on store bought but a personally made one is as simple as charcoal, filter sand, small stones such as pea gravel filter cloth and a 5 gallon bucket with small holes drilled in the bottom to allow drainage.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  3. BIll Dockstader

BIll Dockstader Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    no matter what kind of filter you get you also need to purify your water. The filters get rid of the big stuff but not the small stuff that's really dangerous. the viruses, amoeba, protozoa, etc. boiling it is the most common way, but there is also iodine tablets and the rite amount of bleach.

4. Gribb

Gribb Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Personal water filters and ready-made purifying chemicals are great but I treat them as a method of last resort. Given certain situations, I always have a plan to filter and purify my water the "harder" ways first. Ready made filters and chems don't last forever. Just something to consider.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a Sawyer mini filter will get rid of most of the nasties, then boil the water before using it.

Morgan101, pacmantacman and Rongway like this.
  6. ErnieB

ErnieB Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Sawyer water filters are great and can last upto 1 million gallons

pacmantacman and Rongway like this.
  7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If I need to deal with dirty water I prefilter it through sand and then filter it with a Katadyn filter!

note: most people in most places unknowingly consume a small number of most nasties!
    most nasties in small numbers are dealt with by the bodies own defences, it is only when large quantaties of these nasties are injested
    that the bodies defences are overwhelmed and disease occurs!
    Water consumed with low nastie counts is ok as nearly all water consumed has a low count not a zero count!
    You do not need to go overboard purifying water just get it to better than acceptable standards!

Caribou and Ystranc like this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have heard that those "life straws" are pretty good, though I have not got round to getting any as yet. My own water filtration kit is just a series of cotton & linen bags, these combined with my kettle for boiling has served me well for many years.
    Keith.
    38QcNHjkIxDT0eV2MxNZnDNxeYWeY7Bb.jpeg
    fa6YnA2OTUsa8P45B_g4Z-7kuOrFmw8L.jpeg
    This kettle is also used for collecting rainwater run-off from my shelter. Filtered water is boiled before being added to my water flasks.
    My two leather covered water flasks.
    The lighter water bottles for bugging out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lifestraw systems !! From pocket one to whole house system for price they work fantastic highly recomend them!!!

Caribou and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you
    Thank you Tom, I will try & remember to check them out next time I am in the city.
    Keith.

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    City people have to remember their water is treated before it comes to their home comeing to back country wells and springs you must filter water before you use as our water can and will give you the back door trots bad due to it being untreated water

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Our teacher in grade school's general science subject taught us the basic filtration method for drinking water. A bamboo cylinder with both ends open is placed on a cloth that is tied to close one end. It is filled with sand, about a quarter deep and another quarter amount were small stones and another quarter are small pebbles. And then the muddied water was poured on the open end of the bamboo cylinder so the water passes by the small pebbles then to the smaller pebbles and then the sand until the water is finally filtered by the cloth. Comparing the input with the output, clearly the output is much cleaner. However, our teacher cautioned us from drinking the water in the experiment. But she said that it would be okay to drink in times of emergencies or calamities only.

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Life straw. Work !!!!

14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The only thing that would concern me with this method is that I read somewhere that Bamboo can harbour parasites within the wood itself.
    Keith.

Caribou and Corzhens like this.
  15. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    At home we don't have filters anymore since the carbon filter got worn out and eventually broke. Now in the house we usually refill 6.5 gallon large water bottle with filtered tap water. We use a cotton membrane and afterwards we boil the water.

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    You are right on that note although I learned that parasite not in the school. However, the parasite in the bamboo are in the exterior only because, as the mountain natives say, the inside of the bamboo cylinder is very clean and sanitized. And to make sure of the cleanliness of the bamboo before using as a device for water filter, it is advised to skin the bamboo so the other cover will be removed together will all kinds of dirt, bacteria, germs, etc.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a double barrel system in my backyard that runs water through rocks and then gets down to a charcoal base. It really helps to get out things that might be in still water like lakes. The charcoal does a great job filtering it all out and then after it passes my barrel system I boil the water to get out anything that might be there but I can't see with the naked eye. There are tons of guides online how to make a rock filtration system. I have used the life straw before and it is the same concept, but on a smaller scale.

18. Derek Moore

Derek Moore New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    My personal favorite water filter is the well known Life Straw. This easy to use invention allows you to filter out harmful bacteria and waste left by pollution or the natural environment. The simplicity of the device allows you to use this at anywhere and anytime without any harmful repercussions whatsoever. It is also very easy to clean making it a top choice pick in the wilderness. Overall this has to be my favorite overall filter compared to many other unsuitable filters in the consumer market today.

19. Eliz Tan

Eliz Tan Active Member
      33/29

Blog Posts:
  20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Very cool idea. I just filed it away. I will teach my grandkids (parents allowed to watch) this as a science project. I don't care how they learn prepping, just as long as they learn. I do the same for teaching fire starting tricks. Thanks for the link.

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can never have too many ways to get clean water or make a fire!

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  23. Eliz Tan

Eliz Tan Active Member
      33/29

Blog Posts:
  24. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    How are you going to use the filter? Is this something you want to put in your house, or is it something that needs to be portable which you will include in your BOB?

If it is something for home use I would recommend a Berkey. They are a little pricey, but they do have a lifetime warranty, and you can filter a good amount of water in a short period of time; by Berkey's ratings 3.75 gallons in an hour.

If it is something that is portable for use in a BOB I would recommend a Sawyer Mini or Katadyn. Both are easy to use, and moderately priced. they are compact, and will fit easily into a BOB. I have several Life Straws, and would recommend their systems also.

Caribou, lalakai and TMT Tactical like this.
  25. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    While I have a couple different commercial filters, my main plan is to distill water instead of filtering it. I can build what I need to do that out of natural materials. Especially if I have access to clay.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Here it's about 20 feet of dirt.

It's fairly easy to drive a shallow well that can be used with a hand pump or a powered pump and minimal plumbing

coffee and GateCrasher like this.
  27. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    mini sawyer here.

28. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    All the above are excellent, and may I add pool shock, I have this also. Never to many ways.

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  29. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    All the above are excellent, and may I add pool shock, I have this also. Never to many ways.
    Do you by chance have a diy video to share? I would love to add to my knowledge how to make one.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a video or pictures of your diy shallow well. I have been researching methods of doing this. I need to get the hand pump, pvc pipes, and the strainer, filter, thingie at the bottom that lets the water in and keeps out the dirt, rocks and such...i forget what it is called.

31. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

This is what I was mainly referring to.

This one is closest to what I carry in my INCH

I haven't tried this one yet, but plan to soon.

This one looks interesting for home use

32. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    http://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/environmental-health-protection/private-water/driven-wells

7e271d0f813659a3e6a4a675167cd153.jpeg
    Lots of videos here:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=shallow+driven+well&FORM=HDRSC3

Our soils locally are mostly loam, sand and clay, so it's pretty easy to drive in a well by hand in a short time, and in most any location.

Hand pumps work down to about 25 feet.

There are places on my property where I can hit water at half that depth, although deeper is better if you want to pump large quantities.

TMT Tactical and coffee like this.
  33. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    If you have a portable pump and a water source, there's a faster, less labor intensive way of creating a new well:

Caribou, TMT Tactical and coffee like this.
  34. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Snyper, Thank you

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Coffee: Good call on the Pool Shock. Regular household Bleach can be used as well: 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water.

Solar distillation can also be used. I think Grizzleyette Adams is our resident expert on this method. This is a pretty good link:

36. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Son of Liberty, Thank you for these videos.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  37. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    After the 9/11 attacks and the anthrax letters scare I put in a two stage water filtration system since we were on municipal water at the time. A carbon block filter first, then through a .1 micron filter, to a separate tap in the kitchen sink which we used only for drinking/cooking. There was a lot of speculation at the time that terrorists might try poisoning/contaminating a city water supply. Have private wells now so it's less of a concern, but have a Big Berkey in storage just in case and a cheap Couglan's with 1 micron filters in the BOB.

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  38. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I've got a few filters, Sawyer Mini is great, easy to use and I set it up as a gravity filter on overnight camps. Got a couple of Big Berkey's; we use one at home and one at fixed base camps when there are anything from four to twenty five of us there. Millbank bags are pretty good at getting crud out of water (does not remove bacteria) and then heat treat the water or steri tab it....or stick a large whiskey in it to steralise it;)

Ystranc, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  39. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Duke in Wales,

Can you say a few extra words in re the "25 of us" . Is this a formal prep org or related ? or neighbors ? etc ?

I have an interest in group preparedness, response and recovery.

Elsewhere I mentioned I have a Survivor 06 Reverse Osmosis water "purifier" for seawater made by Katedyne, Colorado. It's the smallest in world for a RO seawater filter system.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    The 25 (can be more) are just a bunch of us with an interest mainly in Bushcraft but some of us are active preppers. We have land we use which is woodland, good supply of year round water, plenty of bunnies and hares to be had and fish to be caught.

Group size varies from meet to meet but is easy when the lads bring wives and children along for numbers to grow. Can't beat cooking stew for 25 hungry lads and lasses :)

Ystranc, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  41. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Duke in Wales,

A great post.

You're working the prepper portfolio at the apex level. My compliments !

I think I recognize the picture above "duke in wales".

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  42. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Re above-provided website, later will be studying it. For a few years now, sought a / the source for a "water wheel". You fill a plastic/composite wheel fitted with U sections on axis and can roll the wheel to location sought.

US AID commissioned (nice word for paid for project) the water wheel for refugee camps so wheel could be filled up at gang of faucets, then trip back with wheeled water supply to rat hole.

My FOIAs did not work and some Peace Corps contacts ... American society has really, truly been dumbed down.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Above mentioned survival warehouse website real good. Their United Cutlery survival machete with hand guard: A+. Had been asked for a supply source to get some. Heavy undergrowth here and even with gloves (all weather/seasons when using machete) the hand guard is still needed especially for older hands with arthritic conditions.

My mistake; Katadyn's US distributor is in the Twin Cities, Minn area. I wrote Colorado because we got our RO filter system sent to after market supplier in Denver where our purification system outfitted with solar panels for power. We had a prepper club with co-op status; no tax, many other benefits. Too many members left planet and widows relocated.

When briefing on source of machete with hand guard was told the Aussies have an improvement over RO. It's graphene using solar energy. Don't know if in production yet. Not on my list. Current and final project is protoplasm maintenance and sharing advanced-level prepper knowledge.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Marshal Dupree

Marshal Dupree New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  46. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I personally use Aquamira Frontier MAX. My reasoning is because I need the most practical & lightweight virus grade + active carbon in a single solution for field excursion. And i have no need for day-to-day water purifier at home (already have a month worth of drinking water for that)

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  47. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    For daily use a R/O unit with a faucet in the kitchen. A Katadyn for backup and a Life Straw in the vehicle emergency kit. The Katadyn will filter something like 14,000 gallons per filter and I have spare filters.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Isabella,

Welcome to the Forum.

It's appreciated that you posted info on the filter you use.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the Sawyer water filters and have several in different survival kits in boat and truck, car and bug out bag. The minis are great and portable while the full sized one is set up to hook onto a 5 gallon bucket for family-sized water. I carry one of the minis in my boat and it makes even the muddy river water drinkable and can then be cleaned and is good to go next time. This sort of thing will ruin many other ater filters.

50. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts: