What is evryone's best water filter?

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Larry, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Larry

Larry Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    What is the best natural water filter? Should I buy something man made and stock up or just use something natural locks rocks? I have no idea so any insights would be great.

2. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    A store bought personal filter I would suggest a life straw, a mass filter to clean a lot of water I'm not sure on store bought but a personally made one is as simple as charcoal, filter sand, small stones such as pea gravel filter cloth and a 5 gallon bucket with small holes drilled in the bottom to allow drainage.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  3. BIll Dockstader

BIll Dockstader Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    no matter what kind of filter you get you also need to purify your water. The filters get rid of the big stuff but not the small stuff that's really dangerous. the viruses, amoeba, protozoa, etc. boiling it is the most common way, but there is also iodine tablets and the rite amount of bleach.

4. Gribb

Gribb Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Personal water filters and ready-made purifying chemicals are great but I treat them as a method of last resort. Given certain situations, I always have a plan to filter and purify my water the "harder" ways first. Ready made filters and chems don't last forever. Just something to consider.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    a Sawyer mini filter will get rid of most of the nasties, then boil the water before using it.

Rongway likes this.
  6. ErnieB

ErnieB Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Sawyer water filters are great and can last upto 1 million gallons

Rongway likes this.
  7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If I need to deal with dirty water I prefilter it through sand and then filter it with a Katadyn filter!

note: most people in most places unknowingly consume a small number of most nasties!
    most nasties in small numbers are dealt with by the bodies own defences, it is only when large quantaties of these nasties are injested
    that the bodies defences are overwhelmed and disease occurs!
    Water consumed with low nastie counts is ok as nearly all water consumed has a low count not a zero count!
    You do not need to go overboard purifying water just get it to better than acceptable standards!

Ystranc likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have heard that those "life straws" are pretty good, though I have not got round to getting any as yet. My own water filtration kit is just a series of cotton & linen bags, these combined with my kettle for boiling has served me well for many years.
    Keith.
    38QcNHjkIxDT0eV2MxNZnDNxeYWeY7Bb.jpeg
    fa6YnA2OTUsa8P45B_g4Z-7kuOrFmw8L.jpeg
    This kettle is also used for collecting rainwater run-off from my shelter. Filtered water is boiled before being added to my water flasks.
    My two leather covered water flasks.
    The lighter water bottles for bugging out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lifestraw systems !! From pocket one to whole house system for price they work fantastic highly recomend them!!!

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Thank you
    Thank you Tom, I will try & remember to check them out next time I am in the city.
    Keith.

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    City people have to remember their water is treated before it comes to their home comeing to back country wells and springs you must filter water before you use as our water can and will give you the back door trots bad due to it being untreated water

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Our teacher in grade school's general science subject taught us the basic filtration method for drinking water. A bamboo cylinder with both ends open is placed on a cloth that is tied to close one end. It is filled with sand, about a quarter deep and another quarter amount were small stones and another quarter are small pebbles. And then the muddied water was poured on the open end of the bamboo cylinder so the water passes by the small pebbles then to the smaller pebbles and then the sand until the water is finally filtered by the cloth. Comparing the input with the output, clearly the output is much cleaner. However, our teacher cautioned us from drinking the water in the experiment. But she said that it would be okay to drink in times of emergencies or calamities only.

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Life straw. Work !!!!

14. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    The only thing that would concern me with this method is that I read somewhere that Bamboo can harbour parasites within the wood itself.
    Keith.

Corzhens likes this.
  15. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    At home we don't have filters anymore since the carbon filter got worn out and eventually broke. Now in the house we usually refill 6.5 gallon large water bottle with filtered tap water. We use a cotton membrane and afterwards we boil the water.

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    You are right on that note although I learned that parasite not in the school. However, the parasite in the bamboo are in the exterior only because, as the mountain natives say, the inside of the bamboo cylinder is very clean and sanitized. And to make sure of the cleanliness of the bamboo before using as a device for water filter, it is advised to skin the bamboo so the other cover will be removed together will all kinds of dirt, bacteria, germs, etc.

17. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a double barrel system in my backyard that runs water through rocks and then gets down to a charcoal base. It really helps to get out things that might be in still water like lakes. The charcoal does a great job filtering it all out and then after it passes my barrel system I boil the water to get out anything that might be there but I can't see with the naked eye. There are tons of guides online how to make a rock filtration system. I have used the life straw before and it is the same concept, but on a smaller scale.

18. Derek Moore

Derek Moore New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    My personal favorite water filter is the well known Life Straw. This easy to use invention allows you to filter out harmful bacteria and waste left by pollution or the natural environment. The simplicity of the device allows you to use this at anywhere and anytime without any harmful repercussions whatsoever. It is also very easy to clean making it a top choice pick in the wilderness. Overall this has to be my favorite overall filter compared to many other unsuitable filters in the consumer market today.

19. Eliz Tan

Eliz Tan New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts: