What Is More Likely To Happen?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by keenonthedaywalker, Apr 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. keenonthedaywalker

keenonthedaywalker Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    A zombie apocalypse or just a virus that kills a lot of people

I am just curious, because I think both are very likely to happen in my opinion.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    forget "Zombies" as such, they don't exist, think virus, more pandemic.

3. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Okay thanks. What do you think?

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    some kind of pandemic virus is quite possible, with the fast transit systems we have these days, any kind of disease can travel from the other side of the world in days, maybe even in hours.

5. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Okay so if something like this would happen do you think you would survive, and if so how?

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    anything like that happens i'm going into self imposed personal isolation until the disease has run its course.

7. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    And what about WW3?

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't see a zombie apocalypse happening like we see in the movies. I can see that some people may start eating other people for food if things got really bad. A deadly virus is quite likely, as new strains become immune to antibiotics. In which case as lonewolf said you would have to isolate yourself until it had run its course.
    Invasion is always on the cards, at least here in Australia, not so much anywhere else. We are already seeing the Indonesian government committing genocide in West Papua, whilst the rest of the world does nothing & the Australian government sanctions this & supports Indonesia! China has invaded Thailand & yet again nothing has been done. North Korea is threatening war.
    Frankly I think Australian's worst enemy is its own government. They would love to disarm us all together & are working toward that goal. A new "National Firearms Agreement" now exists in which the government states that it is illegal to use a gun in defence of a home invasion! They have also made it illegal to carry anything that may be used in self defence. New legislation has been proposed that will limit the number & types of firearms we are allowed to have. Without firearms we could not defend ourselves in an invasion. I think the Tasmanian massacre was orchestrated by the Australian government so that they could take our guns. Which they did. They confiscated all semi-automatics so that now we are seriously under-gunned if there should ever be an invasion.
    Travel these days is so easy & wide spread so that anyone getting infected could transmit that infection widely before anyone knew it existed. Europe could easily be decimated in a short period of time, as could the UK.
    Right now we are seeing a worldwide threat of terrorism due to middle eastern refugees not being vetted correctly. Sleepers are popping up here & there, home grown terrorists. It would not take much to bring a country to its knees once the electricity is knocked out.
    Keith.

9. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Hey Keith, if something happens there in Australia will you be prepared man, cause it sounds like something might actually happen soon.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are as prepared as we can be given the present circumstances Keenon. We live in a forest which we own, we have two houses, four 4WDs, an SUV & a Volvo wagon. We also have a tractor. We are totally off grid with solar power, our own grey water systems & composting toilets. We have two 5,000 gallon cement water tanks on the main house with another 1,000 gallons for the gardens. The cottage has two 1,000 gallon galvo tanks. We are going to purchase more tanks soon. All are fed from rain water.
    The cottage is also totally off grid & self-sufficient. We have a large pond below the main house which we use to pump water up to both house gardens. Plenty of wildlife here for food if needs be, & we keep chooks for eggs. The forest supplies our firewood for cooking & heating. Our gardens at both houses supplies all our own food.
    We can isolate ourselves here quite easily, & rarely get visitors anyway. We all have our own packs & equipment, so if we had to leave & move further into the wilderness we could do so easily. I am a primitive skills instructor & I have passed many of my skills onto my three sons. If there was a serious shtf situation, some of our group (18th century living history group) members would also be coming here. They too have skills & their 18th century equipment.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

11. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Man that's awesome man! You are prepared. Good Job!

Keith H. likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith isn't just prepared, he's living it.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah he is!

Keith H. likes this.
  14. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    How about you lonewolf? Are you prepared?

15. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Keith, I would be nervous about bushfire having the forest so close to your cottage.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We do have firebreaks & will be widening them this winter. We have two fire pumps, & the house is fireproof including fireproof windows.
    Keith.

17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey Keith, you're not raising fighting cocks out there are you man?! Running a little gambling operation?!

Just kidding!

My dad's the fellow who was running gambling ops. By the time I was in Jr. High, I'd been in a many of the gambling "establishments" in adjacent counties plus our own. I'd count the money out the gambling machines and stock the cigarette machines while in high school and college. Your farm looks a lot like a cock-fighting operation! Now if you'd just add twenty more pens for the fighting cocks, you'd be able to go into full operation. Man, I knew one guy who kept his pens in open sight of a major state highway -- he had enough money to pay off the county mounties. One fellow I knew saw the state highway patrol come out of a huge gambling operation -- they'd just gotten their "paycheck supplements".

After the SHTF, everyone will need some barter or silver to pay off those still in uniform. My dad and his friends payed-off the state congressmen and the gambling houses paid off the cops.

Back in the day, I'd have stayed FAR away from a place like yours unless I had permission enter. Where I'm from in S.Appalachia, heading into a set-up like yours would be one horrific risk of getting "your ticket punched".

Your friends have shotguns and plenty of ammo, I hope. I know you want to keep as much as you can 1700s, but you need to wire your perimeter -- keep banks of batteries wired in parallel for back-up. Hope you have a pack of dogs to set out on trespassers. There must be a beau-coup of folk around you raising hemp. Is that illegal in Australia? Of course there would be no way to enforce such laws. Marijuana is the #2 cash crop of Tennessee. Moonshine got beat-out decades ago. A few of my dad's friends did federal time over unstamped whiskey. Be good friends with your "agricultural" neighbors -- they can be part of your area's defense network. If they are friendlies, go with it.

Keith H. likes this.
  18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No mate, no cock fighting here, though we have had some feisty roosters in our time! No worries, we can defend what we have within reason.
    [​IMG]
    My Black Powder under locking lever double 12 gauge with brass shells.
    Keith.

19. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    NICE! Keith that is totally awesome!

Keith H. likes this.
  20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Keenon. Obviously this is not the only gun I have, but it makes for a good picture ;)
    Keith.

21. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah it does!

Keith H. likes this.
  22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mostly muzzle-loaders but some modern firearms as well. I prefer the flintlock muzzle-loaders for long term wilderness living/survival.
    Keith.

[​IMG]

23. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
  24. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting. I do not see this producing a Zombie problem though. However, several cases have come to light where drug addicts have been eating people. Then again of course there is always the strong possibility that some people faced with starvation will become cannibalistic!
    Keith.