What Is One Life Skill We Should Be Able To Do?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by airfightermax, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    A skill that could tremendously help you or other people in life.

Doesn't necessarily have to be something that could save life like CPR, just little things that could make someone else's day better.

AuntB likes this.
  2. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    If we're in a real-life survival situation there are lots of things we can do to help each other. We can share, console each other, help each other out, share our information. When people start to go into the mode of only thinking about theirself in a disaster instead of pooling together, it's not gonna work out well.

AuntB and Hikin33t like this.
  3. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Not farting in elevators is a skill that would improve life for those around you.

JimLE and GS AutoTech like this.
  4. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree. Humans are social animals. We wouldn't last much without social interaction.

I can see how people could get selfish though during hard times. It's self preservation at it's work.

5. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think the greatest skill to learn is socializing. Not a lot of people can learn that. Most of us are busy consuming and gaining resources for survival. But the socializing is something we have to learn. And that being said, you can see that we have to learn this skill. Rest of the other skills are lot easier and we can learn them with time given. But socializing is hard at every age of our life. That is something we have to learn.

AuntB likes this.
  6. Hikin33t

Hikin33t New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Being able to make a fire without the use of firestarters like matches and lighters might be useful. Or alternatively, getting lighters to work without gas or a broken flint. Some people in my life who've survived life in prison claim they can do this. It seems really useful in my opinion.

Another thing that I want to teach myself is the knowledge of edible and non-edible plants in my local area. I know of some people who've eaten things on hikes that they shouldn't have.

Also, making jerky. Jerky is a really good way to store meat without it spoiling. Or so I've heard through the grapevine.

...Now I'm hungry.

Brownbear and AuntB like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

watcherchris, AuntB and Hikin33t like this.
    1. Hikin33t
      Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about!

I didn't realize that was your personal channel. I subscribed for more cool survival tips & tricks!

Hikin33t, Jul 20, 2017
      Bishop likes this.
  8. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I agree. We are meant to communicate with each other. We're not called social animals for no reason.

I want to learn how to socialize too. I'm an introvert so I am not really good at interacting with people. There really isn't any need for me to socialize right now but on survival, it will be a really great thing to have.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:

Yeah I try to make good videos of skills

watcherchris and AuntB like this.
  10. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    LMAO

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    lighting a fire without modern gear would be needed to sustain human life, without a fire you cant keep warm, cook your food or boil water. basic things.

Brownbear likes this.
  12. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I cant point to a single ONE skill. No use in staying full if you gonna freeze to death, or warm if you cant harvest water. Maybe the ability to improvise. If you cant think outside your bubble, you are screwed in most situations in life. But I dont know if that's a skill really.

watcherchris and AuntB like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Farting silently in elevators is a great life skill. You can oooze out a bomb and then glare at another person and then after the next stop have the elevator all to yourself so you can laugh until you get to your floor.

On a more serious vein everyone needs to be able to make fire in as many ways as possible. Fire is life. It will keep you warm, light the dark nights, keep the predators away, boil and make water safe to drink and cook your meals.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  14. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL

15. AuntB

AuntB Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    I think people need to learn to like being alone. Some people always need people or noise. Being comfortable with oneself in silence is important. Not really skill but it is something that would cripple many.

16. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Basic problem solving. There are an infinite number of ways to skin a cat. Being able.to identify what you need to accomplish, make a plan & execute. Attempt, fail, rethink & rework, attempt again & again until you succeed.

omegaman and TexDanm like this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, I think a lot of people are scared of silence- maybe that is why they make so much noise.

18. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:

I agree I spend a lot of time alone in fact I am up in a tree in the rain right now waiting being quiet and still waiting to not be alone to take a shot

19. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm a Mr. Fixit. Same was true of my dad, but especially of two of his brothers. Don't know where it comes from, but it's in me. Poof!, I have it. I'm good at math, spacial relations, and the appreciation of music. These attributes are genetic and I am VERY thankful to God fore wiring me this way.

I can, without effort, figure out how things work, take things apart in my head, put them back together in my head, then do the same in the physical world. I did NOT develop this. This was simply given to me by God = wired genetically. Again, this is a GIANT gift from God. It has allowed me to feed my family over decades / scores of years. Thank you, God.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Danm, you sound like ME! I've made a living out of fixing stuff. What I was a kid there was a Science Fiction book written called "A Mote in Gods Eye". In it there was a species that had basically specialized to the point that every profession was done by a subspecies that were genetically predisposed to be the perfect adaptation for that job. There was one group that had the genetic predisposition that you and I evidently share that allows us to sort of see inside of machines and such and make connections and understand things that are evidently not seen by other people. I always wondered if Humanity was beginning to do like that species in the book and diverge into different specialties. I was taking things apart and putting them back together by the time I was 7 or 8.

Math was always so easy for me. All the way to and into calculus it was as if I understood the concepts before they were explained to me. I took Algebra 1 in the 7th grade as part of an JFK program to move the US ahead in engineering and technical areas. Then on the other side I STILL can't spell at ALL. Thank God for spell check or I would look like an imbecil one these boards. Spelling is usually counter intuitive and all the rules seem to have more exceptions and words that follow the rules. To people like me it is like if they told you that 7 X 8 =56...most of the time. And 2+2 =4 on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays. ???????????? I before E except after C and the first two words I think of are Weird Science!!

My mind is very logical and linear. English is TAUGHT as if it were phonic but the fact is that it is more character based like Chinese than anything else. You see the word in its entirety or you are in trouble. I always have trouble with ambiguity and to some extent people have been something I've studied for my whole life trying to understand why they act the way that they do. A machine is simple a human mind is a mystery.

watcherchris likes this.
  21. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Pare, there's always a need to socialize. When my wife and I moved to a new rural location, we made a point of meeting as many neighbors as we could. We told anyone who asked that we were now to the area, didn't know anything about farming, raising goats and chickens, but really wanted to learn.

Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. for one example, one neighbor would bring garden veggies over and told us to borrow their trailer for hauling stuff any time. We would make a point of feeding their chickens whenever they went out of town. Another neighbor heard we wanted to cultivate a garden in our back yard. Next morning he shows up un-announced with a tractor.

I tell you, choi, greet neighbors with a smile; good things will come of it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just relax and appreciate life , when I was in Nam I promised myself if I was fortunate enough to get out of that place I would never take a day of life for granted again . I would be surprised to get to see the sun come up because I didn't think I would make it through the night . Ever wondered why you here about some soldier doing some crazy self sacrificing act . At least a large part of the time it's because they think they have no chance of surviving only short time anyway .It's amazing what crazy things someone will do when their life is cheap but at the same time a another breath of air so precious . Each morning "weather permiting " I step out at dawn to watch the sun come on my back deck with my Vietnam memorial coffee cup filled with coffee. I have a view overlooking a mountain valley and large stream , it's often cloaked in mist and if I am lucky might have the nations bird the bald eagle come soaring by .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Texdanm,

Amen on that Texdanm.....Amen on that.

I have been a loner for most of my life. It bothers the women I see at times though it benefits them as well....in certain kinds of problem solving.

It is not that I am anti social per se....I am just not a social butterfly ..and dislike crowds...traffic...poor parking...etc. etc etc.

Where the crowds tend to gravitate...I tend to go the other way. This bothers most of the women I have seen over the years as women tend to be more social creatures than myself....much more social.

I tend to be very choosy about the company I keep..and am therefore often alone..I prefer it this way. It keeps things more simple....though I do not want to be a machine...I do like simple...

What is that saying....KISS???? Keep It Simple Stupid!!!

For certain understandings in this arena...social and being social...I tend to turn to women rather than men because of them being more social creatures.

And a woman's radar seems to often work on a very different frequency than does a man's radar...or is the word here..intuition??

Math was never easy for me and I never took to it. However....as I aged..I realized I needed to at least make friends with math....simply because one cannot get away from it in this world.

The tests for various levels of Ham radio privilege brought this home to me very clearly as I had to go to long forgotten books and break them out to study the patterns for the various resonance formulas...etc etc. I needed to at least make friends with Math. I could not get away from it.

Learning to think and function down in the thousandths of an inch or closer came as a result of working in this shipyard on machinery ..is something which will stick with me for the rest of my life..

It also comes in handy when reloading ammunition and getting the correct dimensions....sizes.....thinking in thousandths of an inch.

Morse Code did not come naturally to me...but had to be developed slowly over the years....without breaking the spirit...but I am much better at it than in the early days.

At some point in SHTF or TEOTWAWKI...I believe this will come in handy..along with the ability to fabricate my own resonant antennas.

But Texdanm...has a point...and is on point......machines can be simple compared to the human mind.....

But I believe that someone out there wants to make us into machines ....like Pavlov's Dog...responding to a stimulus...and not thinking...for ourselves....not thinking outside the box...bit always in their box. Drooling and salivating on command.

This way, in this manner, you make a better and more predictable controllable voter.
    And even a much better consumer.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the thinking out of the box .When in the military we were given written aptitude tests , tests were checked on the spot and the about three quarters of the recruits were told to return to the barracks. another test was given to the remainders , again the test results were immediately checked an all but 4 was asked to leave . I was among the four and thought I must have done something wrong . To our surprise we were offered the chance to go into Green Beret training .So out of an estimated 200 only 4 had the right thought process . This mind set no doubt would play a role in surviving any survival situation . I don't think this is a matter of being smarter but a matter of thought process . Perhaps life experiences have something to do with that .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The most important life skill/s should surely reflect a human's basic needs of warmth, shelter, food & water & health. I would place primitive fire making first and then foraging second. Utilising those two primary skills one can be warm, fed, and also healthy, not just through diet but also through herbal remedies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the one basic skill is the ability to make fire, without warmth you probably aren't going to survive for long, as well as warmth it will cook your food, boil your water and in some countries it will stop wild animals from invading your camp.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Without fire you are pretty much a lost cause as far as surviving. Learn how to do it in as many different ways as possible and then DO IT until it is as easy and natural as breathing.

The one basic life skill that is the single one that first raised the human above the animals is often overlooked. How did a creature with no claws, no fangs, thin soft skin, slow running, no fur and poor night vision rise above the predators even before he found how to make fire?

The human is the only animal that learned how to THROW things. An ape might be several times as strong as a human but the best that any of them can do is toss. Not a single one will ever throw a 90mph fast ball. That is the reason that kids spend so much time throwing things. They instinctively know that throwing things is how to keep a predator far enough away that the claws and fangs don't matter. Man has then taken that one skill and multiplied it many times starting with spears, atlatels, bows, and sling through our modern guns and rockets.

A stick in hand makes you the king of beasts. All primitive people made special throwing sticks that made that ability even more functional the boomerang and Apache throwing sticks make your arm even more able to take out prey and send a dangerous critter away than just a rock. Most adults lay this aside but it isa valuable skill that you can improve on with a little practice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The human species is a physically weak species. It has no armoring. It has no horns. It can run, however not as fast as lions, canines, bears, and such. So, God gave it brains. Those humans with fleet feet, fleet brains, and those possessing the inner fire to survive survived.

WWII, Italy, Holocaust: Jewish people were being shipped out to concentration camps. One group was too infirm/injured/old to be removed from a make-shift "hospital". German troops had been sent to Italy. A few of these Germans began storing paint at this Jewish hospital. They left for a couple of days, whatever. One of the crippled Jewish men had figured out that the Germans were going to use the paint as fuel. Gasoline & kerosene were too precious to waste, especially if all you wanted to do is burn down a building ... with the Jews still inside.

By the way, I have zero idea of how many people -- Jews or Germans -- were involved.

The Jewish men knew where a pile of out-of-commission rifles had been thrown; the pile was adjacent to their building. By cannibalizing a lot of rifles, they managed to create a few usable rifles. Who could care less about the headspace on these make-do rifles! These rifles would at the very least fire.

When the detail of German soldiers returned, the Jews shot them dead.

There is prepared. There is unprepared. Thought is involved. Will is involved.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.