What Is Survival?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by hollowgirl, Feb 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hollowgirl

hollowgirl Administrator Gold Supporter
      85/99

Blog Posts:
    Webster’s dictionary defines survival as the state or fact of continuing to live or exist especially in spite of difficult conditions. I think our goal here is to work together, sharing knowledge and experiences so that we may be better prepared to survive ANY difficult conditions that may face in life. Each of us live with varying levels of modern conveniences. Some live in cities and others in rural areas.

Our ancestors were able to survive without the luxuries we have today. They survived by hunting, fishing, gathering, and farming. Their days consisted of obtaining the basic necessities of life. In this age, this is not the case. Many people, and previously myself, spend thousands of dollars each year on a vehicle to commute to a job so that they can earn money to purchase their groceries from a store. Things have really changed. And the sad reality is we have no clue what we are getting when we purchase food from a store. Although, food manufacturers or producers (honestly, I’m not sure what the technical term should be) are “regulated”, an alarming number of foods are recalled due to a variety of contaminations. Some of these contaminations have even resulted in death. How terrifying.

For many people, there is no option other than to head to the store for your basic necessities. I cannot think of a single place that a person could go, without being required to have a license or permission to hunt, fish, or gather food. I live in a pretty rural area and all the land is either private or protected. If you do not own a piece of land, your only option is to purchase food or appropriate game licenses or you risk criminal charges. I came across the story of a man attempting to defend his right to fish/forage for food. His defenses were very interesting to me. What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone know any places where a person is free to hunt, fish, or forage?

sunnytn likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As you say HG, no where is totally free to hunt/fish. Forage for edible plants, yes, there are places here where you can do that. Some Aboriginals here have places to hunt, fish & forage. I am a land owner, so I can hunt, fish & forage, & I am able to give permission to others to hunt on my land. There are I believe forestry areas here where people can hunt, but not without a permit. A lot of the Aboriginal's hunting grounds have been taken from them over the years, our government is even evicting them from their settlements now because the mining companies want the land. Their water supply has been cut off & their dwellings bulldozed. Our government is totally corrupt, but the majority of people here in Australia do nothing about it.
    Someone once said that if enough people want TEOTWAWKI, then eventually it will happen. I think a lot of people want it to happen because despite the danger & hard times, it would give them back their freedom, their freedom of choice.
    Keith.

sunnytn and hollowgirl like this.
  3. hollowgirl

hollowgirl Administrator Gold Supporter
      85/99

Blog Posts:
    @Keith H. as I read your posts on the current state of Australia it almosts frightens me. They sound so similar to events happening in America. One thing that really scares me about America is that most people seem to be completely oblivious or even in support of freedoms being taking away. I believe that with enough people freedoms could be restored, but so many are willing to rely on the government for 100% support. I wonder if or when the time comes, will there be enough people willing to fight for their freedom here?

sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that being in America you should also consider that many people want it to hit the fan. I don't know how many hard core survivalists you have over there that are armed to the teeth with everything they need to survive a 3rd world war, but I am convinced that those people will not do anything to stop it happening. The best way to do that is do nothing. Let everything get worse until it hits the fan. I think this will take a long time if it is to happen at all.
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/survival-today-mess-we-are-in.html
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think TEOTWAWKI will take long at all, all you have to do is remove one thing...ELECTRICITY, this makes all our gadgets and technology work and once the power goes down that is the end for most of the population. nothing would work, no fuel in the filling stations and no food resupply to the shops, most people would panic and panicking people do stupid things and hasten their demise.

Keith H. likes this.