What Is The Best knife To Carry?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by sunnytn, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    Hey..a simple question. If you could have only one knife on you in the woods..what would it be?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I recommend a good quaulity sheath knife they are sturdy easy to care for kabar buck gerber are a few that are good but affordable i myself own two a usmc kabar i stole off usmc.and a buck the buck is allways on my belt with my leatherman multie tool and a brinkman flashlight along with my pistol

sunnytn likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Dont forget something to resharpen all your knifes with

sunnytn likes this.
  4. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, Tom! I know a simple pocket knife is not enough is some situations. I personally believe in carrying a knife and a walking stick..anytime I am out in the woods.

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good pocket knife never let you down just use it smart i carry a 3 blade old timer myself

sunnytn likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good pocket knife to carry is a swiss army knife one tool many uses buy a real swiss army not a cheap knockoff

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we've always said the best knife is the one you have with you when you need it.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    So true lol but i want a good ine not a 3.95 filder from walmart. That dont cut string

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that is true, I've always said "you get what you pay for" but I've had some good cheap knives, by cheap I mean under £10.

10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately we are not restricted to only carrying one knife, but if I had to choose, my choice is still the same, a good carbon steel butcher knife. Not all carbon steel butcher knives look the same, but they are all good if they are good quality. Usually not expensive, & there are plenty of 19th & early 20th century butcher knives to be found in second hand shops.
    [​IMG]
    This is my butcher blade hunting knife, at least 100 years old, could be older than that. The handle was missing so I made & fitted a new one.
    Keith.

11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If limited to just one it would be my big bowie style blade
    It is Spanish thin and light for its size but holds a super sharp edge "Neito" brand I think!
    Its a bit big for fiddly little stuff and not heavy enough for chopping but ticks all the other box's for me.
    I also carry four small lightweight fixed blade identical cheap knives for little stuff and a machete for the big stuff.
    And I have half a dozen or so lightweight butterfly style tungsten sharpeners on my kit!

12. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like a winner..thank you!

13. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you are well prepared when it comes to knives..thank you for your advice.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    like most survivalists i'm an avid collector of knives, got quite a few, its sort of an "occupational hazard".:D

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I would have preferred a swiss knife for it is an all-around knife cum utensil. However, with the thought of the woods, I guess I would be needing a bigger knife. How about the boy scout's hunting knife? That can be used for chopping bamboo or soft wood although not enough for a log. It is also very convenient for using to butcher a game or even for gardening. And best of all, it is a good weapon when there is an unknown enemy. When in a crisis or calamity, you cannot be too sure that the place is safe from humans. Criminals are everywhere.

When I was a girl scout, we didn't have the chance to hold a hunting knife. But I had seen different kinds because I have 8 brothers in all and considering that I am the youngest in the brood, you can expect that I have lots of knowledge about the boys and their wares.

16. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I to have a knife collection but use wise I get rather peeved when a $200 folder go's missing
    I now use a wide leather belt for my knives.
    My big bowie is at the front in an angled crossdraw sheath
    On either side slightly forward of middle are sheaths for my small fixed blades
    Low and on my offside is a fitting for my machete ( an Ontario brand one slightly trimmed to improve balance )
    Over the small sheaths on the sides are fixed leather pouches and a larger one around the back for my bits and pieces.
    The belt is strong enough to use absailing with a fitting on the front!

Currently selling off my unused collection of knives, just keeping the ones I use.

17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A pocket knife is pretty useless for self-defence, you need to think about what you are going to use the knife for. That is why I carry three knives, but the question was: "If you could have only one knife on you in the woods..what would it be?".
    With a good hunting knife you can even use it tied to a bush pole for a stabbing spear for killing game on a trail. A clasp knife/pocket knife is okay for camp chores, but it makes hard work of skinning & butchering game. If you can only have one knife, choose a reasonably sized fixed blade, but I suggest you carry three knives & a tomahawk.
    Keith.
    More on Knives here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=blades
    [​IMG]

18. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:

19. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    Thank you..I was thinking two knives..but three makes more sense. I appreciate the pictures. I am actually taking notes and learning a lot from so many of you!

Keith H. likes this.
  20. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would say a Chopsaw, it's a mix between a machete and a saw. This way you can chop down branches to clear your path or saw off big branches to build a shelter. As far as defense it would work, but I think for dangerous animals a spear would work better. A two in one type of knife is the best choice. I do agree for survival a pocket knife is useless.

21. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    Do you use a buck knife for field dressing small game. I have hunted and killed small game, but my partner field dressed them. I watched him..that has been over 20 years and I forgot the knife he used. I seemed to think it was a buck knife.

22. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    Yes a pocket knife isn't enough. Thank you for your reply.

23. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The best choice would be a field knife. The best thing to use for field dressing is something that's meant for that, from what I've seen this is something that looks pretty gory. I saw the Gerber Myth field dressing kit and it has two knives one to filet the meat, and one that has a bigger blade and a gut hook. I don't know what part of the meat to cut myself and I don't even eat meat, but I think this kit would make things easier to
    get what you want from your kill, from what I've seen. If I had to kill a animal and eat it I would want the butchering to be as simple as possible,
    so I can get the best meat without puking.

sunnytn likes this.
  24. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    It is simply use the right tools for the job!
    Small folders or fixed blades are great for little jobs, try peeling an apple with a tomahawk or machete?
    but cutting down thick branch's with the little knife is not fun either!

In my pack is a folding woodsaw and a 16mm hand auger! drilling holes and making wooden dowel/pins makes
    construction a lot better!

sunnytn likes this.
  25. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Cutting up and boning out an animal is mostly know how! Most any sharp knife will do but the right shape helps!
    Knowing where and how to separate a joint is easy once you know how and have done it a few times!
    The first few animals I did were a mess when I was done but after getting a few clues from a butcher things got a lot better!

sunnytn likes this.
  26. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think if you are in a survival situation, you will need sometime more durable and more useful than a pocket knife. I would suggest maybe a machete. But if you are just going on an adventure and not expecting to be in an extreme situation, I think a pocket knife would be fine.