What is the cheapest protein source per gram?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by lucidcuber, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    What is the cheapest food source of protein per gram? As far as I can ascertain, peanuts generally seems the be near or at the bottom of the price list for protein/gram. I've heard lentils are good too but from where I buy chickpeas peanuts are a cheaper source of protein.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Most nuts do not take kindly to long term storage!
    Tinned sardines! great protein, last and are dirt cheap!
    I buy by the carton!

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Memory of some things not so good these days lucidcuber, but I think I will go with beans.
    Keith.

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Kidney and black beans, lentils, and legumes (peanuts, peas) are all pretty high on the protein scale. Chickpeas are actually more of a low GI carbohydrate than a protein (which is still essential).
    Plus, all of these things are easy to grow and store for the long-term, if need be.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    If you've got a chicken, eggs.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Peas certainly surprises me as a protein source. It's low in calories, so I never thought I'd have much practical need for them. How much protein do peas usually have?

Chickpeas are carbohydrate rich, but also very protein rich, and people usually store them for the protein rather than for their calorific value.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Nuts by far is a cheap and healthier alternative. And they come in such a variety that it is hard to get bored with them. There are brazil, cashew, peanut, pecan, and pistachio just to name a few. They are also filled with the healthy fat our brains need. Good luck and enjoy!

8. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree that nuts are cheaper and healthier. However, are they able to be stored long term? I collect beans that are canned but is it better to buy the dry beans?

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never tried drying nuts, but dried beans are better for storing than canned beans in my opinion.
    Keith.

10. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, there isn't an expiry date on dried beans apparently, whereas canned beans will last years but not indefinitely. They might lose their moisture if they're in the cupboard for too long, but you just have to soak them for longer when you do eventually cook them. But their nutritional value stays the same regardless.

Another alternative is canned tuna - it last about 3 years and is high in protein.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just make sure by checking the label where the Tuna comes from! So much pollution now & the Pacific is polluted with nuclear waste from Japan!!!
    Keith.

12. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    No increase to detectable radiation in any of the tuna or any other canned fish I have used yet.
    They still have the same amount of residual radiation they have always had!
    One handy use for my nuke kit!

I will stop buying when I get a radiation rise!

13. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I agree. Not only would the egg be high protein, but it would be very easy if you have chickens.

Lisa likes this.
  14. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I am repeating someone else here, if so I apologize. Beans are good sources of protein, but they take time to grow. So, stock up on beans. Eggs are very good source of protein, I think it's 6 grams per egg. But chickens may be the first thing your neighbors come after for food. And you can't store eggs very long.

Catch rabbits, lay trot lines for fish (can't be easily seen if someone is walking by), and stock up on items that last well in storage.

Or be the first to raid the supermarket after a collapse.