What is the longest period of time you've survived outdoors?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by judyd1, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm talking about living outside. Eating, sleeping, not having access to indoor plumbing. That sort of thing. For me, it's two weeks. Does it count that we were sleeping in the car?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Before I had kids we used to go on month long camping trips in the mountains, out in bigfoot territory. Of course, we did bring supplies and staple food and backup food in case we didn't catch anything. I miss those days, it was a lot of fun. But, now I have small children and won't be taking them that far away from civilization and emergency medical care.

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My longest survival trip was three years. There were a few times that someone offered their home to my traveling group, but overall we were spending our nights on the streets. This was all outdoors, which an occasional squatting spot found. I don't think that sleeping in a car is the same as living outside, but it's just as hard getting through the day. If anything, I think a car might prove to be more difficult since you have to find proper parking. I'd imagine it'd be hard to avoid parking tickets and you would constantly have to be on the look out for your "home on wheels."

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I spent 8 months out bush under a tarp, no power or plumbing and just one day trip every two weeks for supplies!
    We were clearing land, building fences and a home
    After a hard days work you can sleep anywhere!
    At the end the three of us has 60acres cleared eight km of fencing done and a house with garage/shed up
    Electric ready, water tank in with plumbing and toilet/septic, a house paddock fenced and a chook pen up ready!
    Going back home to civilization felt strange for a few weeks!

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Roughly over 20 years, some of this time living in camps, most of this time in a permanent shelter, & cottage that I built in the forest. Totally off grid the whole time though, no electricity, no tap water.
    [​IMG]
    A cabin I built up in the mountains in NSW.
    [​IMG]
    Under canvas, sleeping quarters & store tent.
    [​IMG]
    The cottage I built in the forest where we are now, but we live in a bigger house now just below this cottage.
    Keith.

Damorale likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Three years 67 -70 in the golden triangle

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Cluckeyo has hiked both the Appalacian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail in the US. They are both long trails, over 2000 miles each. It took him several months to hike each one of those trails. Maybe 5 months each not sure. The longest I have been out is around 6 weeks, as I met up with him and hiked sections of each of those trails, but then would go back home to rest my feet before striking out again.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    At one pointt on penna section. You were a few miles away from me

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    That is absolutely beautiful, I wish that one day I will be able to build my own house in the forest and get some things going there, I love the house!
    If you don't mind me asking, how long did it took to build that house? I imagine it was pretty tough to get the foundation going but after that it should be a smooth process. I don't have a lot of construction experience but I do know my way around the basics (plumbing, standard architecture etc.). I reckon I could get it done with some help.

10. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, about 36 hours, left the base to go camping at 9am, returned the next evening 9pm, although as a child is was a lot more fun than it would be now.

I've never generally been a fan of sleeping in a text, although the fun you can have in the woods more than makes up for it.

I think in a true SHTF scenario you could have a lot more freedom and fun just chopping down trees as your please etc.

11. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    As for my case, its 33 hours. We were the local officials of the electoral commission in my country. We had to sleep in a class without any beddings or even basic amenities in the cold. The next day would end in the same environment deep into the night.

12. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never been in a 'survival' situation outdoors and hope I never have to be.

13. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    As of yet, it has been a week or so, here and there. But I would never count them as real experiences such as that of Keith's up above in the thread. We went with supplies and we left with the same things, we didn't have to worry about finding shelter or finding food as we went with the required amount to last us the time we were there. We didn't build anything. We just made our own fires, etc. Basic stuff, basically! It's my intention to book a few weeks later this year or next year, and though I'll take everything I need to make sure I survive, I'll try to do as much as I can using the land and the available resources for the experience.

14. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's crazy! But it sounds like a lot of fun. I can't imagine just leaving everything to live in the wilderness for a while. I mean, I've read books about it and always dreamed that it would be fun. Maybe I'll put that on my bucket list or something.

15. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Just treat like a camping trip and have fun!

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    about 12 years, sleeping in an old wooden caravan(trailer), washing in the river, cooking over a camp fire, toilet was a hole in the ground, totally off grid.