What Is Your Favorite Breed Of Chicken?

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by HomesteadJill, May 31, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. HomesteadJill

HomesteadJill New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    What is your favorite breed of chicken, and why?

I think I really like welsummers:
    they are pretty in a way that provides good camouflage
    they are good foragers
    they are decent layers
    they can go broody but not too much
    they are good winter survivors
    big enough to eat

The only con about them is they are a bit skittish compared to other brown layers, but that can be good for their survival.

I also really like bhramas, they are a great duel-purpose bird, great eggs and large enough for a good meal (or weeks worth if you cook him right). They are also cute and talkative.

2. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    This reminds me about the days i was raising chicken. This is what any farmer is always concerned about. I like the abor Acre (AA) breed of broilers. this is because the grow very fast and has good weight at 7 weeks. there are However other breeds of broilers with other features that farmers prefare other than AA.

3. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    My favourite breed of chicken is the naked neck. This breed of chicken has no feathers on the neck and the neck region appears longer. Its cheap and easy to rear on free range, a prolific layer and is quite resistant to diseases.

4. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I like layers the most. I like it when I pick eggs in the evening. Sweet feeling, sometimes I get much that I sell and other times give out to neighbors. Saving some capital to build a substantial coup for 100 of them and do them commercially.

5. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    We have several different kinds, but my two favorites are Buff Orpingtons and Copper Morans. They both seem to be excellent layers, yet bulk up fast enough to eat, and they both appear to be pretty laid-back calm birds. Plus, people really like the blue eggs from the Coppers!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Fried.........either pan fried or deep fried.
    Popeye's Chicken is wonderful.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Today I added chickens to my prepper list of critters for self-sufficiency . They are 6 baby pullets that I picked up at the feed store . Now I have for critter assistance in self-sufficiency Milk goats , homing pigeons , chickens and a bloodhound that can trail down about anything that breaths and has trailed down one critter that had a 17 hour head -start . Survival critters , is just one leg of my multiprong plan for survival .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I like Rosecomb and Dutch Bantams. Raised them as a kid and fell in love with those little birds. Don't eat much or take up much room but there eggs are super rich in flavor and a bright orange in color. Makes a great omelet or french toast. They aren't as big as most chickens but they still can make a good meal and you can raise more birds in the same space.

IMG_7638.jpg

They can run like the wind and even fly fairly well which makes them better at eluding predators. Mine would run under there coop at the sight of a raptor and fly into the trees at any dog they didn't know. My dad let them stay out one night that I was gone and a mink got one that was sleeping under the coop. That was my only loss until I joined the army.

Dale

Rebecca, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.