What Is Your Favourite Survival Pastime Or Sport?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Keith H., Nov 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

?

What is your favourite pastime or sport that is related to survival?

1. Rifle target shooting

25.0%
  2. Clay pigeon shooting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Muzzle-loader longarm shooting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pistol shooting

12.5%
  5. Knife throwing

18.8%
  6. Tomahawk throwing

18.8%
  7. Archery

37.5%
  8. Other. Please state what this is.

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What is your favourite pastime or sport that is related to survival?

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I also enjoy kayak touring.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, I had not thought of that one. I remember reading about the making of the latest "Last of the Mohicans" movie with Daniel-Day Lewis. All the Indians were real Indians, but they had to teach them how to paddle a canoe properly. Some comments from the Indian actors was that they very much enjoyed learning the old skills & connecting with their roots. We all need to be good at what we do.
    Keith.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My others fishing boating of all kinds from a tube to a large boat in the right place used right a boat could be a great survival shelter home and tool for moveing and gathering

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My others fishing boating of all kinds from a tube to a large boat in the right place used right a boat could be a great survival shelter home and tool for moveing and gathering

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fishing is a good one, I don't get to do much fishing these days.
    A close friend & I used to make a boat camp when on the great lakes, much the same way one makes a canoe camp.
    20a4e23919d42a6294160e332513589f.jpeg
    Keith.

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ive been busy tieing flys for the steelhead run this weeks weather we are headed to the streams near erie pa for the run large rainbows and browns move from lake to streams to breed great fishing then mon after thanksgiveing deer opens

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I raise gardens. It's more like work however. Fun only at harvest. Needed in survival.

Sighting in rifles is embedded in my neurocircuitry. Plinking and range-blasting is oh so fun. Should riflery come to be needed for survival, not fun.

I fix all manner of normal and rare equipment; electronics, mechanical, pneumatics, fluid xfer, robotics, ..., if it has to be assembled, if it has to be fixed, if it has to be programmed, if man-made has to match biologic, whatever ... . True at work. True at home. Fixing, building, and improvisation are needed in survival situations. However, this stuff IS work.

Perfect world = hobby at home & same at work
    I envy folk who enjoy such. I envy folk who are not under hellish pressure to get things done by yesterday.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree, to have payed work that you actually enjoy doing would be great. I wish I had been given more information on available occupations back when I was leaving school at age 14, but the school classed many of us as factory fodder & that was the only information we were given. These days the information is out there, in the news & on the net, but there are less jobs available & a lot more people. These days you need qualifications on paper to get any decent job, in my day all that counted was that you could do the work required.
    The way we live now means we can pretty well do whatever we want you & I, but we still have work that is constant & has to be done. But I don't think we would have it any other way;)
    Keith.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I fish a lot. For me there is a special zen that I find on the water. Over the years I've gotten pretty good at it and could feed my family off fish if nothing else. I also actually do most of the other things on the list as well. At times when I was younger I was heavily into shooting, reloading and such.

Many of my hobbies could also be said to have survival related uses as well.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I love to sword/axe fight nothing like charging a field with 400+warriors split into 2 armys armed and hungry for victory

First time on the field I was so overwhelmed I died in less than 20 sec don't even know who hit me
    First time I survived till the end there was less than 20 of us left such a high and buzz I was addicted
    it's bin 10 years training and fighting and still the best buzz ever plus the craic after no better piss up dan with a bunch of vikings after a big fight

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    So Mr Boots, finally I know what you are! A living historian like myself:) Does your group practice any other period living skills? My interest is in the 18th century, but I would have been sorely tempted to join the local medieval group if they had not been so "up themselves" & just so unbearable to put up with. A great pitty. In my opinion members of these types of living history groups stand the best chance of survival in any survival situation.
    Keith.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Getting out to the rifle range.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    getting away from noisy human beings and walking in the countryside listening to the animals and birds.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    @Keith H.
    We used to do up to 1600
    (pre gunpower due to how difficult getting a licence is here)
    now mostly 800-1014 (main Irish viking period)
    we do a big living history village and are always pushing to improve our crafts every thing from blacksmiths to potters to candle makers its bigger than our fighter group as all warriors must learn a craft for display if they want to fight and a few in group don't want to fight but want the living history side it one of the reason I join our group as most groups do one or the other and I wanted to learn both
    I know what you mean by up themself came across a lot of clickly groups at some big open shows I think life is to short for all that shit
    We'll defiantly have a big advance and the right gear and skillsñ when the S.H.T.F
    we have build a viking longhouse big enough for all of us to sleep in with our extra gear a few years ago we use for a training base and get togethers and with our village we have all the tents and tools to live on the move
    next we want to build a long ship.....

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I like to hike up to the mountain lakes and do a bit of fishing, maybe practice a bit of survival skills.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds great, thanks for the reply, appreciated.
    Regards, Keith.