What Is Your Profession?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by PedroP, Jun 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    When you're not practicing your survival skills what is your day job? I am graduated in Physical Education but currently unemployed. I am also a retired martial artist who enjoys a good training every now and then.

Koala likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I am employed as a kindergarten teacher in my local town. It is literally fifteen-minute walk away from me or so and I feel blessed. I have worked very hard for my degree and even took additional courses after finishing university. I just love children and teaching. I feel like they're the future of every society and humanity and raising them in a good, educational way is vital for the overall survival. I enjoy my work very much and I would never change it for another job, even if the wage was way higher.

Watching the little ones play and have no worries on their mind is beautiful and it makes me reflect on how stupid us, adults, can be - we worry about everything without even realizing that there's no need to. So yeah, that's my profession! :)

koolhandlinc and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    You have the age that really matters they learn so much in the early years that helps make them who they will be later in life.

Koala likes this.
  4. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Indeed. I find that the problem with most educators where i live is that they tend to not let the kids be themselves. When we're young and burning fuel we need to explore, run, shout and eventually fall too, to learn. They tend to hold the kids back so much that they won't be what they were born to, but rather what the educator thinks they should be. One another note It's good to know you love your job ;)

Koala and Bishop like this.
  5. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I am a corporate manager in procurement department. In my younger days while obtaining my degree I also did metal work, and auto mechanics, which are things I do as a hobby now. In my twenties I was a over the road truck driver for a couple of years. Was a good way to experience the entire nation in a non-tourist way.

6. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't agree more Bishop. When they're still in the kindergarten stage they're like little sponges that soak up everything you show them - often without you even realizing. I have read many psychological discussions where they debate how heavily the childhood stage actually influences human beings, it is incredible. That is also why I take my job seriously. I am aware that it is great responsibility and of course, a privilege being able to participate in their education and development :)

7. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Pretty much that. The early years of a person can either make or break them. While I am no educator I sure know what I would teach my kid in order to provide just the right amount of difficulties to make he or she grow without traumatizing them. The world is a harsh place and if we're soft we're bound to get hurt. That is why parenthood is such a gift in our lives.

Koala likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I had a few jobs in my short life time I been a dishwasher block Mason's labor shark Fisher man clammer US Marine still a US Marine you don't stop being one once you become one but the last 20 years I have worked for the Florida State government 13 years of that I worked at a last chance school for court order juvenile boys 15 to 18 was shanked while working there had my eye spit open had a kid try to take me out with a bush ax I was the first one hired and the last to leave when they closed down after 13 years and then was given a job with the same agency running a 90 person in mates program all woman at that I been doing this for the last 7 years

koolhandlinc, PedroP and Koala like this.
  9. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Im a nurse. Working in the middle east. Been doing this for almost 15 years. I am not a prepper or a survivalist. I just love watching and reading stuff like this. Im Asian, and some techniques that I see is something we do on a regular basis. I just can help to be amazed on how innovative people are.

10. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    My situation too buddy. Graduated last year but still can't find a job so I am looking for other things. Will start a mechanic course soon, I just love bikes and would like to work with them. Sometimes we take a little while to get our lives on track but it's important not to give up, always move forward and don't think about the time we spent as wasted but rather as a time we used to learn skills, meet new people, learn about life itself and then evolve.

11. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I am a writer, a freelance writer. I write everyday and don't have any survival skills training going on at this moment. My eyes is on karate, though I am afraid of the real-life kicks and punches. Registering for the classes is quite expensive here. I am saving and would join them soon.

12. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Nice knowing that! Getting some martial experience is the way to go. Even if you don't like it when push comes to shove it's better to know something than knowing nothing at all. It's also a great exercise too so very good for losing weight and keeping fit.

13. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Pedro. Which of the martial arts would you recommend for someone like me who haven't had any previous training?

14. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on your objective really. Martial arts differ mostly in style and application. Some are more competition and exercise oriented while others are self-defence oriented. I suggest you look for a self-defence oriented (Krav-Maga, Jeet Kune Do) since our focus here is survival after all. In the future, however, if you have the time money and will for it is always good to have experiences with different styles

15. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I am a writer, a freelancer, a photographer and a cinematographer. These are majorly skills I'm into in part time.

I am an undergraduate of physical education and I'm in my final year. I also sometimes double as a fitness instructor and a voluntary coach of a female handball team. Phew! What a mouthful!

16. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I worked with that foe about two years. I really enjoyed it but the pay was low and the people I had to dealt with were unbearable. So I plan on starting a mechanic course next year.

17. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm a..........................ah..................... why nuthin'.

Retired police, retired General Motors manager.
    Thinking about college.
    Again.
    I hold degrees in engineering from Kent State and Human Resources from
    Geneva.
    Thinking of getting a job bagging groceries. :rolleyes:
    Really I might see about more classes at Kent State as the main campus
    is but 3 miles down the road.
    Masters in counseling specializing in addiction recovery perhaps.
    My area is rotten with heroin addiction.

18. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I am currently a counselor at a daycare camp with the cutest kids. I am trying to make my way into med school. I started college a couple of years ago. I will study for my MCAT exams very soon. I am not excited and excited at the same time. The patients I take care of at the various places that I intern say that I'm so young, and I have plenty of time. I shouldn't worry. I laugh every day. Well, it's fun living my life every day and coming to places like this. Fun indeed.

The heroin addiction is very interesting too. I learned about opioid addiction in my school, and it is very bad. I hope one day that we can find a solution.

19. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm a Theater Historian, currently unemployed. Before I lost my job I worked as an assistant at a Psychiatry.

20. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Working as a fitness instructor can be really frustrating as sometimes, the clients want some things like free jobs, which is really not encouraging.

My clients are not many and I charge them what I know they can afford to pay, but some clients are naturally stingy and the female folks especially would end up cutting your fee to peanuts.

Like I said, I'm currently a student, so I'm doing that just to survive.

21. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I know bro. We all have to. What I found to be true around here is, you have to fit a certain "profile" in order to have success in our profession. You got to be fit, eat healthy, post pictures of your healthy life in your social medias and so on. If you don't follow the rule, even if you are a knowledgeable guy and competent worker you'll hardly be able to stand out. Do you feel the same there?.

22. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Oh wow! My father was a mechanic. He is retired now but his dreams ever since he was a child was to be one. After he inherited some money when he was in his 20s, he finished the school that we have for it and he opened up his mechanic shop. He had this hugee workshop where he could fit 3-4 cars in. He even hired some people and it turned into a nice business. You just have to invest a lot because the tools can be very expensive. But I guess you just plan to work for somebody else and not open the whole business up, right? :) Anyway a nice profession!

23. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that's the idea! I plan on taking the technician course. It lasts for two years, much faster than a university. Also, it's much easier yo find a job since vehicles always break. Nowadays if you're not into research it's hard to find a job with a University degree sadly :(

24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Teach.
    Those who can, do.
    Those who can't, teach.
    Those who can't teach, teach teachers.

Grocery business.
    Everyone has to eat.
    Grocery stores make lots and lots of money.
    One huge Giant Eagle close by is open 24/7.
    Has a liquor store also but it closes at 10 pm.
    I don't drink, just sayin.
    Right next door is a Giant Eagle owned gas station.
    Buy food, get gas rewards.
    Last year I filled up the tank at 0.25 cents a gallon.
    Giant Eagle food quality is as good as any.

25. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm a programmer and have been so for a few years now. Programming gives me an outlet to create things and that keeps my brain always going and alert. I guess I like surviving out in the woods so much since it's extremely different from my day-to-day job, which can be quite exhausting at times.

26. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Yea bro. People get deceived by physical things. That you have perfect abs does not mean you're physically fit. I'm still facing the challenge till now. I'm not physically built, because I don't want to. I have very little fat in my body but I'm not muscular, because I exercise to keep fit and not to have a 'perfect body', but the clients will never know this. Once you are not Mr. Macho or you do not have bulging biceps, you do not qualify as a fitness instructor.

I try as much as possible to sensitize my clients, but people will always be a sucker for the 'perfect body'.

27. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    So true bro. The best we can do is thrive. If you don't have the perfect body you have to compensate by showing knowledge. In fact, knowledge is the other thing that should matter but in our profession, you might not be knowledgeable but if you have a nice body and you'll steal the clients of knowledgeable people. In fact, many fitness instructors worked around here and they weren't even graduated. So sad. It gives the profession a bad name.

28. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I know right! We just have to do what we can to survive and not bow to the competition. It could be tough, but you have to stand up for what you believe in and be firm. It's worse over here. A lot of fitness and celebrity trainers here did not even study physical education, and they are the ones killing our business. i see them take their clients through crude exercises and all I do is laugh and move on.

29. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I am a freelance writer. I also knit and crochet in my spare-time (which is very little).

PriscillaKing likes this.
  30. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Currently I work as a freelance content writer. I also do video editing for content creators on YouTube when they're in need of extra assistance. All in all it isn't very much money but good enough for those who enjoy living a humble lifestyle. I won't be driving my new Ferrari anytime soon (not that I want to anyway) but it puts the bread on the table and keeps the lights on. And the most important part is that I genuinely enjoy what I do, so I'd say I'm lucky.

31. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm a professional scavenger:p

32. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    After working for a multi national for many years as an executive in the middle management I started designing landscaped gardens - a hobby that I converted into business. Now I have a Trust that reaches out to the needy. Freelancing such as taking part in forums such as this is what I am busy doing these days.

33. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Can I just say that I have huge respect for nurses? People like you are absolutely amazing. I have some hospital experience and the nurses there were so amazing... much better than doctors. Anything I needed or wanted to know - they gave me. I always admired people that choose the nursing profession because it isn't easy at all. Especially if you work in certain departments in a hospital. You see many horrible things and illnesses but the nurses still manage to be happy and cheer up the patients. A really respectable job!

Neiltarquin likes this.
  34. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I seem to be the only one paranoid enough to refuse to give out any personal information over an open forum. It's poor OPSEC to give any more information than necessary. Even posting jpegs can be a risk if they're duplicated elsewhere on the net.
    Who do you trust with your life, sorry to throw cold water over this "little love in" but you people have a lot of catching up to do.

koolhandlinc and PriscillaKing like this.
  35. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks a lot. Funny thing about this is, as a kid, I don't want to be a nurse. I hate to see them work during holidays but, here I am... Loving my job hahaha

36. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    @
    Ystranc

"only one paranoid enough"?

Answer:
    A profound yes!

Paranoia will destroy ya.
    Caution might be called for.
    I'd not post my phone number, real name, or address,
    but my general location, education, experience, age, skills, or lack thereof ................

No harm.

37. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Think about it, members of this forum give names, ages, email addresses approximate locations, occupations. They talk about what weapons they carry or don't carry, if they're married or single, keep cash in the house and they tell us about their preps (although I allow for the bullshit factor there)
    Phishing scams work by assembling tiny bits of trivial giveaway data and using it to gain more important data.
    I am simply cautioning members to remember that they have already put a lot of data out there, some of them even log in using FB..... THERE IS NO NEED TO TELL ANYONE ANYTHING PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE.
    As much as I might agree with people on this forum or respect their knowledge and skills I recognise the fact that I don't know them and they're not my friends. I mean no disrespect by this but it takes a long time to gain my trust.
    Once you have my trust I'd take a bullet for you but until then I'll remain sceptical.

PriscillaKing and jeager like this.
  38. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    "I mean no disrespect by this but it takes a long time to gain my trust."

That sounds quite reasonable to me.

Trust is a quality I don't give up easily.

There are FEW I trust and that includes family.

SPECIALLY family.

I have one sibling, a sister.
    My mother had considerable money in investments and her will spelled out
    "share and share alike".
    That was fair.

Unknown to me my sis got quite good at forging our mothers signature.
    Sisters neighbor is a notary.
    Sis had typed up a new will, forged mom's name, neighbor notarized it.
    Sis got mom's house, cars, and $250,000. 00 bucks.
    I got NOTHING.
    Was BARRED from mother's funeral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky for me I knew the funeral director so could pay last respects AFTER
    calling hours.

Decades since I've even spoken too or seen my sister.
    She can rot in hell for all I care.
    It isn't about the freakin' money, it's the very idea of being barred from
    the funeral.
    Hell I have money. I EARNED IT.
    I don't have a lot of money in the market but enough that I don't miss
    any meals, have a decent little house on 15 acres of woods, and a decent
    new S.U.V. every 3 years.

39. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    one guy even had a photo of my house when the google van went through, but its not important, post SHTF I will probably be a long way from here.

40. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    You can't see my home from Google street and you can barely pick it out on Google Earth. I like it that way.

41. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Makes two of us!

I write, do what I can (which isn't much) with an orchard, knit, sell junk in flea markets, do odd jobs...very much a financal "survivalist" since becoming a rich man's penniless widow.

I was born and raised frugal, in the sense of "Live below your means and give money to good causes," and can't say I've become a good example of where that leads, but don't think I could ever be a real greedhead anyway.

But I surely could use more paid work!

42. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    The cyberspace entity known as Priscilla King is separate from the flesh-and-blood writer, or from the other people who've contributed to the creation of the brand of Priscilla King. That's why all images of the original Priscilla King are cat pictures rather than human pictures. (There are other, unrelated people who use the same name...at one time over 100 on Google+ alone, but when I registered this name it was unique in cyberspace.)

When using this screen name I write about jobs I've actually done. (As a hack writer I've written up things other people have told me about jobs *they* have done, using *their* screen names.) I do not write about: clients' names or locations, unless they've been paying me to mention those; individual children (the children in my life are collectively known as The Nephews, although some of them are nieces and/or adoptive relatives); the real name or address of any other private individual; the precise street address of places where I've lived or worked.

As much time as I spend writing, and as much as I've published, "I can't lie (twang, twang, twang), I can't hide." But I blur the details.

43. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Nobody should use Facebook. Even as a registered brand with the right to have a "business" Facebook account, I don't touch Facebook.

Putting your street address and pictures of your children on a computer is just wrong.

44. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    At this point I don't know who we are supposed to be hiding from....but I know enough to not reveal personal details on the internet just because there is plenty of kooks out there. If the highly unlikely event of someone recognizing my picture then good for them.... I don't say anything I am going to be ashamed of, or reveal my inner most secrets or details of any plans I have.

45. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, these things happen...I entered cyberspace with some sort of foolish hope of raising awareness and demanding justice.

I'll spare everyone here the full-length rant about how I became a rich man's penniless widow, and just say that nobody who had taught grade six would EVER have accepted my husband's ex's blatantly forged document authorizing her to sell our home and clean out his bank accounts. She didn't even try to imitate his signature, or even transfer the notary seal from a different document onto the same page where she'd signed his, her, and the notary's names on a foreign-style document.

She also claimed to have obtained confidential government documents about me (for all the good they did her, since I have no criminal record), and definitely did get into at least one bank account, by impersonating me. Hah. For starters I'm legally White and she wasn't even what you'd call a light shade of Black. Yes, Gentle Readers, our identities can be stolen by people of different ages or colors or sometimes even genders from our own. People don't pay attention...

Suffice it to say I got ONE bank account back for myself, got his nieces back into his estate, but, because Prince Georges County, Maryland, is corrupt and venal, a judge upheld the ex's sale of our home to "a good faith purchaser"--as long as the sale quadrupled the listed value of the house!

"Your claim would be for dollars from the estate, not for the sentimental value of the house." Oh, right. Only it cost money to file a claim for dollars from the estate, and because the ex had spent a year sabotaging my business I didn't have that money to put up.

What our overcomplicated legal system allows people to get away with these days is truly amazing.

46. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I've never been on Facebook and don't intend too.

@ PriscillaKing

You got screwed and probably didn't even get a kiss.

I know what it's like!

I'm sorry for your pain and it is painful but I doubt that pain
    controls your life.
    You are, after all, a survivor.
    So am I. :>)

I made my money, such as it is, the usual way.
    I EARNED it!
    Working don'cha'know.
    I'm retired now and thinking of getting a part time job to bring
    in extra bucks for survival goodies.
    I'm not too proud to bag groceries. :>)

Believe me I've done lesser jobs.
    When 17 I got a job making explosives.

When 18 a job hacking bricks.
    That's taking wet raw clay bricks off a line and stacking them.
    Wet with kerosene which softens the skin and the course bricks
    take the skin off and you bleed and bleed.
    Terrible job.
    All for 75 cents an hour back then.
    I'm grateful that only lasted about 6 weeks and the place went
    belly up broke and closed down.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  47. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Good luck finding a store that actually hires adults to bag groceries...where I live, filling out applications is a viable way to find work up to age 25, unless of course you've been self-employed. That's about as desirable to the corporations as a prison record. Self-employed and car-free? I've been sent to interview for jobs by people who knew I was well qualified, and been insulted to my face.

On Twitter this morning I think I overheated my account--getting into a discussion about caregiver benefits for veterans. Tag line to a Tweep who posted a waving flag GIF was "While Dad was alive, Mother and I didn't wave flags. We waved mops. About 4x/day. (He was blind.)" Maybe that was not the most tactful way to try to draw more of the patriotic types into this issue. I am giving Twitter a rest now. But seriously, I can sort of see why the younger set are willing to fake disabilities and get hooked on dangerous psychiatric meds a lot of them wouldn't even need. People carry on about raising the minimum hourly wage for the jobs that do exist, but any sort of job, even below the minimum legal wage, is hard to find.

Oh well...I ate today, and have waterproof merchandise to sell tomorrow, even if it rains :) (I've not been too proud to stand in an open-air market under an umbrella.)

48. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I suppose I could be a piano player in
    a cat house.
    'Cept I don't play the piano. :<(

49. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL I have thought some about that. How many of the posts and threads are geared towards personal info.

50. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I am a professional gigalow. I used to practice my skills at night clubs around town. I would look for places with expensive cars in the parking lot. Go inside and set down and look about. If a lot of older women. I would order a water and wait. Funny what a businessman, doctor or attorney's wife will do for what they are not getting from the husband.

I decided to marry and put that life behind me.

jeager likes this.