what kind of car do you drive?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by BeautifullyBree, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    My vehicles are old and probably nothing special to you all. I do love them, and appreciate wheels to drive! I drive 2000 dodge truck and a 95 camaro. They are both my babies. What kind of cad do you have? Do you enjoy having it or are you ready for an upgrade. I would love to upgrade if money was of abundance, but I do love what I'm blessed with.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I drive a Citroen Berlingo 1400cc petrol MPV, we wanted a van with windows and that's exactly what we got!
    I've just bought the wife a Vauxhall Agila 1000cc, its small but its extremely fast.

Keith H., Mekada and BeautifullyBree like this.
  3. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am a car person. I purchase vehicles based on what I like and the opportunities it provides me with being able to do the things I want to do. Right now, I have a 09 Chevy Malibu. Love love love that car! If it hadn't already been in 5 accidents-none by me though!!!-- I would keep it until the wheels fall off. Great on gas, very spacious for people of all sizes. Typically it will fit 5, but 4 comfortably when traveling. I will be upgrading because I think the last accident did some damage to the axle and one of the tires on the passenger side where the car was hit the last time, wears out way faster than the other 3. So, on my list is one of my all time faves, a Dodge Durango. I had one about 8 years ago. All I'm going to say is in one word: S W E E T!! From the powerful engine to the body style to the tow capacity to the cargo space, I enjoy being not as low to the ground as in a car. No, it may not get as much highway mileage as the Chevy but it'll do. If I travel, I can always rent a car. Ok, enough said. I could go on and on about cars.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  4. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I love Chevy Malibus. My sister recently had one and they are definitely spacious and great gas mileage. My friend had an older dodge durango and besides the gas mileage they are great. They are also very slaxiow and comfortable. I like how they have the sporty look of a truck, but the space of an SUV.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    67 jeep pickup 74chevy work truck with mantaince box 47 6x6 52b model mack 52dodge pickup and mrs has 01 blazer 72gmc 5ton farm truck

Keith H., Prairie Dog and Mekada like this.
  6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Toyota 80 series Landcruiser 94 model with a few mods!:D

Prairie Dog and Mekada like this.
  7. Daniel Sylvester

Daniel Sylvester New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    2013 dodge journey and I love it. great suv for the buck.

Filthy_Lucca and Keith H. like this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I did have a Volvo wagon, but our rough dirt road was not good for it so I gave it to one of my sons who lives in the city. Another son now has our X-Trail SUV, & we now have a Toyota Hilux 4WD diesel twin cab. I drove it recently for the first time, & I was seriously impressed. I want to get another one to use myself on the property & for trips to town. Our bush basher is a Russian 4WD Lada. We use it for carting firewood.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Recently bought a 53 seat bus!
    Conversion to survivalist RV in progress, due for completion Easter 2017 but will probably be delayed for at least one reason!

10. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Very nice indeed!
    PD

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Toyota Hylander Hybrid for daily commuting, 2001 dodge crew cab 4x4 for heavy use, hauling and camping. Spouse drives a dodge caravan.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a good mix PD.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  13. Spec OP warrior

Spec OP warrior Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    2017 International CXT, 1995 Hummer (bought at Mil surplus auction). 2016 Ford F-550 4 door w/ 12 ft bed, 1998 Chevy S-10 extended cab (used a work truck), A 2011 Freightliner mil semi, and an M939 Oshkosh 6X6 with troop carrying bed system

Prairie Dog likes this.
  14. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Honda Jazz for clean driving Suzuki 4x4 kept just for hunting shooting and fishing.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  15. Topolov

Topolov New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    A 04 Ford Expedition 5.4L. Best car I have ever had.

16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had a Chevy Silverado. It had two gas tanks with small V8 engine. I had the computer-controlled carburetor replaced by an old mechanical carburetor so that the cops couldn't burn it with their EMP guns (it also had an old non-electronic distributor) -- it wouldn't have died even if the balloons had gone up. It's power and gas efficiency went to pot, however. Inevitably I traded it for something else which I can't remember.

We received the MiG that flew out of Vladivostok and made it to Japan. It had tube circuits. Some laughed. They stopped laughing. The Soviets were expecting their aircraft to survive a nuclear war. Tubes arc then begin working again. If solid state arcs, it dies. I've seen the old electron microscope photos of circuits taking a static hit -- looked like the damage of a 500-pounder on a rice paddy = dead circuit or a walking wounded. Our aircraft have triple redundant circuit boards housed in Faraday cages. Give ours sufficient EMP and they'll still fry (thus the triple redundancy). The Russians are anything but stupid.

Survival vehicle? Give me my druthers and I'd take a 1950's tractor = low complexity and no solid state electronics. Plus, you can plow your garden and your neighbors' gardens. Friends exceed gold in value; we humans are not equipped with eyes on the back of heads. One can weld a bullet-proof cab into existence and one can put a blade on the front of a tractor. Whatever you wish to protect weld-up the plates and mounts you need.

A fellow I knew got into it with some yahoos who were even more redneck than him. He loaded-up some FMJ .357s HOT. One evening they were driving by and he assassinated their truck. He put a round through a front quarter-panel on into the cast-iron engine; it busted the engine's water jacket. Poor engine, R.I.P.

17. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    I drive a Hyundai Sonata. Its paid off, gets great gas mileage, and is a "gray" car in every sense of the word. It's shockingly easy to lose in parking lots, and when I go to meet someone I always have to go to their car. Although it may not stand out as a survival vehicle, I'd certainly be able to move around unseen in it as eyes just wash over it.

That being said, I'm in love with Keith H's Hilux and desperately want it. I'll likely look into getting a Ford Ranger when they are released in the US in 2019, especially as it'll be quad cab with a diesel engine. I couldn't afford a comparably equipped Toyota. I believe the Chevrolet Colorado is offered in a diesel, but it's extended cab only and I can't do that with the wife pushing for starting a family soon.

18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting you should mention the Ford with military accoutrements, just this past week I was just looking at that puppy in the news. I did in fact feel lust in my heart for that little beast. Would that we had the money. I had a Ford Explorer that lasted us 16 years -- I drove it until it was destroyed / worthless, MidWest winters, mountain logging roads, put way too much cargo in it, bouncy-bouncy farm roads, long distance driving, still it gave me very few problems. Now I've had a Ford Escape four years-ish (small, 3-liter 6 cylinder, but man, will it go fast) and it has served well in the same horrible conditions as the Explorer.

If only one could get a truck with desired features that could also survive an EMP. Back 60 years ago, it was the Dodge Power Wagon. My father wanted one of those (he drove every sort of U.S. and British military vehicle that existed during WWII).

Woodsbum likes this.
  19. Skot

Skot Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I drive a 2001 nissan gu patrol wagon, locked and lifted running 35" a/t's for everyday and 37" tsl swampers when we hit up the tough tracks in the mountains. Cars always loaded up with all the gear i need to take off for a weekend camping, just stock the fridge with food and drink and im good to go. Currently has the 4.5L petrol 6cyl in it though so its quite thirsty. In the process of gathering gear for an engine conversion atm.

20. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I looked-up your vehicle and man I like it. The air intake being put high is a great thing to have. Is the exhaust also high? The reason I ask is that I once in my youth I tried to ford a puddle that had become a pond and drowned my car. I hit that water at good velocity with an 8-cyl 1960s Buick, still I lost, it didn't plow to the far end. Too, in the 60's the distributors were electro-mechanical and if gotten too wet, would short-out. One gun range I liked and used for decades was on the other side of a mountain stream that would turn into a small river during heavy rains. Weigh a truck down, use steel cables w/winch, and you can be on the other side of such. Add wench, all the more fun.

21. Skot

Skot Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    The exhaust itself isnt any higher off the ground than your average 4x4 wagon. But being a petrol ive still got the same problem with the dizzy. In my old gq I used to run a 12volt air pump from behind the glovebox that pumped air into the distributor cap, creating a sort of pressure i guess, keeping the water out. I dont know the science behind it, i just know it worked well and got me through a few sketchy crossings. But yeah all of the early patrols were pretty capable offroad, they pretty popular around here. Quite easily modified too.

Old Geezer likes this.
  22. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Ford Edge S.U.V.
    Goes about anyplace and gets awful gas mileage.
    Nice ride however.
    Next one is likely to be a Lincoln S.U.V.
    I'm American and just can't spend money on foreign cars or cars built in America but
    foreign owned. Like Honda, etc.
    Not knocking foreign cars as being bad cars but they aren't American owned companies.
    Foreign cars built here by Americans don't seem to care the profits go over seas to further
    foreign economies.

23. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Finally got the Triton 4WD Diesel home, love it. Drives well, plenty of power, & the 4WD transfer is easy to use :) Nice to have a road vehicle I can call my own again. The rear cover is in having new retainer loops fitted.
    Keith.
    ZvJZ6ei07elYfFQzASPLl8Ascg0P5qF-.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh; that's NICE!
    Power plant?
    Transmission? Auto/stick?
    Half ton?

Keith H. likes this.
  25. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have an older triton and the turning circle really sucks
    Have they fixed that Keith?

Keith H. likes this.
  26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. 2.5 litre, automatic, limited slip differential. No idea what the weight is. Fording depth is 600 mm , 700 mm on the Hilux. We have a creek to cross that floods fairly frequently, & when too deep the only other way out also has waterways to cross plus a lot of dirt road. http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/our-familys-bug-out-vehicles.html

27. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Kieth H.
    Are gun laws tough down under?
    I had a e-friend for years who lives in S. Africa and he often remarked that gun laws were real tough
    there.
    He shot a lot of black powder but had to be a member of a recognized gun club and then submit
    a reason for wanting the weapon, and name of gun club.
    He could only have one pound of black at a time.
    The police would then canvass those club members and his neighbors seeking anyone that might
    object to him having a firearm. That applied to black powder and AIR GUNS!
    I think England is the same or perhaps even more strict.

Keith H. likes this.
  28. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gun control here is fairly strict. I think the Australian government would like to disarm all citizens except police, military & criminals!
    Semi-autos are banned totally since the Tasmanian shootings, though I strongly suspect that the government had a hand in that. You have to show good reason for owning a gun, self-defence is not accepted, in fact it is now against the law to use a gun to protect self & family in a home invasion. Club membership, permission from a land owner to hunt, occupation as a farmer/land owner or professional shooter are classed as good reasons. But now they have produced the National Firearms Agreement in which they seek to control the number of guns owned by proof being required for the specific need of a particular gun.
    Muzzle-loading guns have to be registered like all other guns, plus you need a licence & a permit to purchase. Muzzle-loading pistols are restricted to an "H" class licence & require club membership; they can only be used at the club range. Antiques are at present free of licence,registration & permit to purchase so long as you do not intend to "use" them. I take the term "use" to mean fire them! (they are so ignorant!). However, I hear there is a move to place more requirements on antiques too. There is a restriction on magazine capacity for all guns, & I believe pump actions may also be banned. They tried to ban the importation of the Adler 12 gauge underlever shotgun, I think they failed to do that but did restrict the magazine capacity to 5 rounds only. The ban on the Adler would have resulted in the confiscation of all underlever firearms.
    The Australian government uses crime & terrorism as a means of imposing further controls & restrictions on firearms & citizen freedoms. Many crimes in progress have been manipulated by the government to cause maximum harm/deaths. Moves that could have been taken to end the crimes in progress have been blocked. Snipers told not to shoot. police told not to arrest!!! I don't like where this is going, & I think our biggest survival threat comes from our own government.
    Keith.

29. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I fear you are right about your own government.
    Here in the U.S. we fear the same thing if the liberal snowflakes become the ruling elite.

OfficerOtto and Keith H. like this.
  30. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have any sport-touring or dual sport motorcycles?

I'm looking for something in the class of the Kawasaki Versys 650 and just want to see what my options are.

31. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I am currently taking driving lessons in my parents Ford car. The size of it is somewhat large and is really comfortable on the inside. I don't think I can easily adjust to any other smaller car nor drive it if it isn't as big as my parents Ford. The color black really brings out the beauty of it and makes me want to show it off to my friends. The surface is really slick and smooth with blending windows on the door side. This is also one of my future car's that I would enjoy driving every day.

Keith H. likes this.
  32. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are thinking survival, then a 4WD is the way to go. Having said that, if you can't afford to get a 4WD, then learn how to drive the vehicle you have well. A 4WD does have the edge in most situations, for instance when the roads are blocked by panicking people trying to evacuate an area. A 4WD can get off road & get around the jam. BUT, you still need to know how to drive well, no vehicle will realise it's full potential unless it has a good driver. Even a non 4WD can do reasonably well off road with a good EXPERIENCED driver. Get that experience.
    Keith.

33. Dejah

Dejah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I drive a white four door 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. That was my very first car and I absolutely fell in love instantly. Everything I could ever ask for in a car, that car provided. I was in high school and college at the time and had a part time job so I really needed a car that was good on gas. It felt like I could drive for miles before it was time for me to fill my tank up again. What I really wanted the most was a fairly large car so all my friends can hop in and ride with me. This car came with many features like navigation, a CD player, bluetooth, and chargers. What more could I ask for in a car, it was perfect. The payments were very cheap so I wasn't really worried about how I'm going to afford the car financially. The car easily got me back and forth to where I needed to be and never gave me any issues.

Keith H. likes this.
  34. wizzywiz

wizzywiz New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Sadly, i don't know how to drive. I have plans to learn during my vacation. My challenges now would be getting a teacher and a driving permit.

Keith H. likes this.
  35. TheRealFlyness

TheRealFlyness New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Currently I drive my girlfriends Chevy Cruze for the time being. Saving up at the moment to buy an electric motorcycle from a brand called Evoke. Urban S currently goes from 0-60 in four seconds and there is no gas tank. Electricity is the future to everything rather you want to believe it or not. Thomas Edison had this vision of electricity everywhere and that's where society is taking humans.

Keith H. likes this.
  36. Chiari

Chiari New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I drive a Peugeot 308 1.6 turbo. Stick Shift. I love french cars. Their design is unique.

Keith H. likes this.
  37. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    exterior01-L.jpg Our get-around vehicle is a 2011 Nissan XTerra in perfect shape, with 111,000 miles and no payments. Dawn's is a 2012 Honda Civic, also in perfect shape, with 60,000 miles and no payments; but given that we now live in a place that actually has winters, she's looking at a Subaru Outback. Problem is, we're used to not making car payments any more. I'd like to get a pickup truck, but they're hideously expensive; anyway, the XTerra is big enough to pull our little trailer, so I'm sticking with it for another 100k miles or so.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  38. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    An Update:
    My Triton twin cab 4WD diesel ute has now got an LED driving light fitted to the bull bar, & I now have a Triton 4WD single cab diesel work truck as well. This truck also has an LED driving light on the bull bar.
    Keith.
    0a31637a44fb99aa387ea2f944c058f1.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    There should be a tag on the driver's door with that and some more specifications like tire size and axle/rear end ratios.
    Open the door and look on the end or look on the frame that the door covers when closed.

This may be yours:
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/compare-specs/t1h16a-mitsubishi-triton/

Keith H. likes this.
  40. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    currently I drive a Vauxhall Agila 1200cc, the wife has the 1000cc model, I can get through the narrow deep North Devon country lanes usually at a fair speed and get around any obstructions, these vehicles are light and very nippy and although small can carry a lot of stuff in the back with the back seats down-mine are down permanently, 45 gallon blue plastic barrels, wooden pallets, bags of compost or manure, or even a load of used tyres, no problem.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    This is my ride
    2000 Harley Davidson F-150:
    Truck.jpg
    I have 3 Polaris ATV's for off road travels
    These aren't mine but they are all the same models:
    500 HO Sportsman 4x4:
    b3f6e74522b71168f89e1618bdf7ff2c.jpeg
    400 Sportsman 4x4:
    400 Xpress 2x4:

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  42. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Turning circle on this one not too bad Arkane.
    Keith.

43. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am just home yesterday from surgery on the 19th for a left hip replacement, so I am not up to a long walk up a rough track to check the door plate. But these are what we have now.
    7c70e34a13c5710f8eae1ac4805daf19.jpeg 7c70e34a13c5710f8eae1ac4805daf19.jpeg 7c70e34a13c5710f8eae1ac4805daf19.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Great Darwin! That comes to $26,377 US. What a lovely truck, and a 2.6 liter turbo diesel with an intercooler. What a damn shame we can't get them in the states

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.