What of Getting To Know Your Neighbors?

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by John Snort, Jun 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    It's all about earning their trust. In case there is an economic collapse, apocalyptic event or something that's just as bad, your neighbors could be your worst enemies. However they'll be more likely to attack you if they don't know you that well. When shtf, it's the strangers who are first targets of people who were not prepared, acquaintances come next and friends last. If you are on good terms with your neighbors you could buy yourself time to bug out before you become a target.

Thoughts?

hades_leae likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Know your neighbors of course i know most of the county and have freinds all over do you tell all of them you are a prepper survivalist no

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    be sociable by all means but tell them nothing. remember OPSEC "walls have ears"!!

John Snort likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Aside from the thought of disaster and calamities, it is imperative to know your neighbors. When we moved to this house in 2001, we found out that there are only 7 houses in our road which is a cul-de-sac. We knocked on the neighbors one by one and to to know the 6 of them pretty well. It's not really socializing but just giving them a token, being new in the area. We have learned that all those 6 neighbors are seniors and only 1 house have kids, no make that 2 houses with children.

My point in knowing the neighbors is to be aware of the danger of criminals. In the recent weeks, there were news reports about illegal drug laboratories that were raided by the Narcs. One of the rented house was even owned by Robin Padilla, a known actor here. And every time the cops would raid, they would have the media with them... but the mastermind is not caught. So what happens if our neighbor is renting the house for drug activities?

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    We have good neighbors. And we all help each other out. Many of the people around here are very elderly. Then there are us middle aged ones taking care of them. It helps to be able to call on each other when the need arises. Also, we share our equipment. My neighbor has a fax machine that I use every now and then. And we have a fence post setter, which they use. And etcetera. There is actually several homes out here and we all try to help each other out.

6. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The situations that we are describing make it hard to believe that trusting anyone with any information will come of any good. Also, unless you have stored enough for your household and are prepared to share then I do not see the point in being sociable.
    The only way that one should perceive befriending others in the wake of a disaster as being a good idea is if the people that you are accommodating are a help to you as well. If they have obtained a skill set that the situation requires then by all means befriend them. Build a mini pack of the types of people that will know what to do in this situation if you can.
    Actually, survivalist fellowship is one of the advantages of a forum like this one. It will provide all of the information you will need as well as help those of us who will seriously prepare to still be able to aid each other.

7. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think there's any downsides to getting to know your neighbors, but that doesn't always mean they'd be useful in a survival situation. They could have something useful, like underground shelter, or guns, or what have you, but the likelihood that they both have it, and would share isn't high. But, all in all, like I said, there's no downside to knowing your neighbors. It'd just be best if you didn't rely on them. Just because they have something and you think they'd lend it or share with you, doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared on your own. And what if you're friendly with them and they want something you have now? Are you gonna share with them? What if sharing with them gets you killed? So maybe if you get to close with them, there could be potential downsides.
    I say get to know them, but not too well. Well enough where you think they would trust you, but not too much to where they think you would trust them.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Socializing with your neighbors where possible is a very good thing to do. I say where possible because some people would rather not interact with persons around them, and you would have to respect their wishes. However, a good neighbor could be your you extra eyes and ears and protector. There is the saying "No man is an Island, no man stands alone." Therefore, this should tell you that it's better to be able to have someone that has your back. In an apocalypse situation, I think it would be difficult to make it all on your own, you would be more able to survive if you could have a group and form a common bond to get through. "United we stand, divided we fall."

9. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    On the one hand, socializing with your neighbors could be an advantage when they have something you don't have but that you need.
    You could stay at their place if your place was destroyed. You could drink from their water if you don't have any water left yourself.
    But this requires trusting them that you need their help and also showing that you are desperate which I find quite tricky.
    On the other hand, it might be a disadvantage if you do not know them very well and do not really trust them. They could all of a sudden turn their back on you or betray you or want to harm you. You never know what people are capable of when a crisis strikes....No matter what I would say better to be friendly but distant.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Don't count on them in a make-or-break situation, but it's still good to know your neighbours. You will know in advance whom you can trust, who might even have supplies for themselves, and whom you'd better not touch with a two meter long pole! Besides, this will help you even in ordianry, daily life. Neighborhoods with stronger ties are generally safer, cleaner and even helathier (since there's less unnecessary stress, which can wear your health down in the long run).

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    neighbours around here are all commuters and non preppers, their okay in the good times but I trust no one post shtf.

12. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have msde it a point to wave and speak to my neighbors. If i have an emergency, i want my neighbors to want to help me. And if they are out of town for a week, i want them to feel comfortable asking me to get their mail and feed their pets. I want to feel a sense of community and belonging. I have lived in areas where people kept to themselves and where i felt anonymos. I did not like it.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's fine in normal circumstances but in a post SHTF environment, if your neighbours haven't prepared and you have guess who's stuff they will be coming for??

14. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I agree that when you say they're most likely to attack you if they don't know you, but I would also say that they might attack me because they know what I got. I'am not the type of neighbor that wants to get to know who lives next to me.

I don't care about them, so if there was a situation, I would treat them the same as any stranger who is seeking anything from a prepper. I don't care to help because they should've been prepared. Many people will probably say that this is not the best way to think, well everyone is different.

lonewolf and John Snort like this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    be friendly with your neighbours but without telling them what you have, remember OPSEC.
    p.ost SHTF treat them like anyone else outside of your family group