What Optics For A 12 Gauge Shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by OfficerOtto, Mar 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    I have a Remington 870 Xpress. Awhile back I put a Blackhawk scope mount on it and currently have a TruGlo red dot sight on it (the dual color mid-range optic). This optic is fine for target shooting but is really awful with moving targets. I need a combat-oriented optic, preferably that won't break the bank.

I have an AimPoint PRO on my AR, but I can't afford another one right now and I can't really justify putting it on a shotgun anyway. I don't want anything with magnification for several reasons.

Any suggestions? What have you all used before?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps you just need more practice. Smoothbores are pointed, not aimed. My 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore shooting round ball is as accurate as a rifle at 40 paces with no sights. Much faster to use if you can just point.
    Keith.

3. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Although I also need more practice, the optic needs to be upgraded. I can't afford to practice as often as I need it so the optic helps with faster target acquisition and is easier for inexperienced shooters who will likely have to pick this up as well.

The gun itself is very accurate at target shooting. I won't be defending myself from stationary B-27 targets, either, so that is a moot point.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Swinging a shotgun is best without a optic system its like your painting over your target start behind go across and keep going dont stop then shoot its a thing that takes time and practice

OfficerOtto likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    My shotguns have a torch and a laser but no optics at all!

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    On shotguns, I like to keep it super simply. A flashlight to confirm your target (and what is behind it) and that is about it. A brass bead was worked fine on my hunting and fighting shotguns. That said, the ghostring style of sites are popular and recommended by some authorities. If you are set on changing your scattergun, that may be worth a look. Good luck.

Old Geezer likes this.
  7. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Really don't need an optic for a shot gun unless you are planning to load it with slugs exclusively and that kind of defeats purpose of using a shot gun. I know optics makes it look more tacticool but at shot gun range the barrel is your target acquisition device, just point and shoot.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago I picked up a replacement or add on to the front sight bead on my combat shotgun. It is a sort of floresing rod that lays on the top of the barrel behind the bead and it gathers light making it seem to glow almost like an aimpoint dot. I really like it and it seems to help my old eyes when I'm focused on my target. It makes me have a better awareness to my aim without having to adjust the focus of my eyes. Getting old is a challenge.

I've found that I actually have less trouble with this focus issue with handguns than with rifle sights. I little help like this makes my speed on target better.

Old Geezer likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I once put a cheap laser on a little handy rifle of ours. The wifer loves it.

Yes, I know that it gives away your position. Don't flick it on until you need it. These things have a little cable to a push-button for on/off. I put the laser atop a see-through scope mount so that the sights could be used should one wish.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the old see through sights especially on leveractions. Up close you can use the open sights but then the scope on top, being as it is fairly high above the barrel, sort of flattens the trajectory. The bullet has to rise to that point and then if you sight it in an inch high at one range the bullet is dead on twice and basically can be within a couple of inches from the muzzle to several hundred yards out. While two inches matters for varmint shooting at rodents it doesn't matter much for large game or people. I'm not going to be shooting past 300 yards with a lever action so it really worked well on them.

11. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    The consensus on an optic on a shotgun is that "there is no consensus"...so to save time and avoid an argument...assume I am right.

This is my Benelli M4. It is my last patrol/entry shotgun. On the other side is a pressure switch 300 lumen inforce tactical light...which I consider to be of much more importance than the optic as long as there are a good set of ghost ring sights. The ones on this shotgun are Trijicons. The optic is an Aimpoint Micro with the 1.5MOA reticle.

BUT...having said that...I am 50 years old now and my eyes are telling me that I am at the point where though I don't "need" an optic on a rifle or a shotgun, it sure is nice to have.

This combination is going to cost on the high side of $2000USD...but for an effective combo, you don't have t spend that much.

BUT...I am just as happy with an old Remington 870 pump with a Vortex Crossfire II that will cost less than $500USD of you shop smart. Or, you can trade out the 870 for a Mossberg 500 and be around $400USD.

I have found the Vortex to be EXTREMELY reliable and rugged on every platform I have mounted and used them on. (AR15, M1A, AR10, AK47, AK74, CZ58).

My criteria is "Would I go through a dope house door and fight with it?". If the answer is YES...then I will buy it.

Shitcan the optic you have. It's junk. Spend $150USD and get a Crossfire from Vortex. You will NOT be disappointed. M4 Aimpoint.png