What Smartphones Or Tablets Do You Use?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by BsurviM, Mar 11, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BsurviM

BsurviM New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello,

the question is what mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) do you use, for example when there is no internet.

Which mobile devices support local setup and use?

Local setup simply means that you can set up your smartphone or other mobile device without internet. There is no internet activation, no server dependent.

This is local setup.

Only if there is a local setup, there can be local use. If the first step is not there, it is automatically internet dependent.

I've heard that all current Android smartphones and tablets don't need internet and can always be set up locally and used immediately. Even after resetting to factory defaults, it can be set up and used locally immediately.

iPhone and iPad (some of my friends use them) have told me that it can't be set up and used locally. That means you always need internet to use small things for example. Without internet you can't even use the integrated flashlight function.

Can anyone confirm these discoveries and what is the current status (March.2020)?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Smoke signals.

Caribou likes this.
  3. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to connect my computer to the internet.
    Once in a while I actually use it as a phone.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  4. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    First and foremost, my usage of any electronics isn't dictated by the availability of mobile network (not relevant).

I always carry 2 - 3 smartphones, and a low-end laptop along with Anker PowerCore+ 26800
    • For daily use and my "public face" I use Lenovo S920 (slated to be replace within this year)
    • For more private use (only select people + gov't knew about the number) I use Samsung S4 I9500
    • As for my "black phone" (nobody but small group of people knew the number and the number is registered using different identity, with additional security measures in place) I use Sony Xperia Z3 but this is slated to be replace with another Sony Xperia handset (still haven't decide & don't have the money). This phone also have "blue force tracking" like capability.
    All phones use custom kernel + MOD, while the "black phone" use specialized firmware, kernel, MOD that myself + team developed in-house. We also offer the system to anyone (particularly to gov't agency and military) , but so far only law enforcement agency took our offering.

I also use Acer Aspire ES1-432 for field work or anything else that require long battery life or mobility (low end CPU only consume small amount of power)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a laptop and a flip phone. That reminds me it probably needs to be recharged. I'll check when I find it. Thanks. My landline works just fine so there is little need for a cell unless I'm traveling. Got a trip in a month. Have to ask the wife, again, what my cell phone number is.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    an old laptop and an even more ancient(non smart) mobile phone.
    when SHTF I will throw both in the dustbin and live a simple life.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Why the waiting? There is already global SHTF (epidemic) now. Just dump all your electronic to the nearest trash can (or whatever you call it there) and be done with it, or give them all away to someone else who might need them (albeit unlikely).

8. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I kinda confuse what you were referring as "local setup" here?

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    hasn't got that bad here yet, there isn't a single case of the virus in my location.
    we are a lot more healthy out here in the English countryside.

10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    For night operations and other times of limited visibility, when requiring max opsec, I use a heliograph.

For backup: semaphore flags.

No lanterns !

11. BsurviM

BsurviM New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Local setup simply means that you can set up your smartphone or other mobile device without internet. There is no internet activation, no server dependent.

This is local setup.

Only if there is a local setup, there can be local use. If the first step is not there, it is automatically internet dependent.

I've heard that all current Android smartphones and tablets don't need internet and can always be set up locally and used immediately. Even after resetting to factory defaults, it can be set up and used locally immediately.

iPhone and iPad (some of my friends use them) have told me that it can't be set up and used locally. That means you always need internet to use small things for example. Without internet you can't even use the integrated flashlight function.

Can anyone confirm these discoveries and what is the current status (March.2020)?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  12. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    I actually wrote quite lengthy post about on the subject in different forum, so i just going to re-post portion of it here.

Contrary to popular believe and advertisement, A SmartPhone is basically a standalone computer in the form of a pocket size phone with capability to connect into cell phone services as mean of communication. For all purpose and intend a SmartPhone is not a phone in traditional sense at all. The use of “Smart Phone” nomenclature is merely for the purpose of advertisement to differentiate it from other consumer electronic such as tablet, laptop, etc.

The other common misconceptions is that smart phone could only operate within cell phone service coverage or relied on certain internet based company (such as Google) in order to operate properly. As I had stated before a smartphone is basically a standalone computer that will retain all capabilities regardless the presence of any cell phone service or internet connection. The only features that will not be functioning when going off-the-grid is anything that require internet or cell phone services.

All mobile phone including the so-called smartphone could be set to run in off-the-grid mode by activating "Airplane Mode"

Unfortunately company like Google, Facebook, Apple doesn't like the idea of THEIR PRODUCTS (users / YOU) going off-the-grid (it hurt their revenue), which is why they create the whole misleading perception that smartphone need to continuously connected to the internet.

13. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    From my only use with an Android-based phone. I can turn off WiFi and cell Internet and still use it. As to asinine overly priced iPhone, I'm sure that's a different story. Since I don't have deep pockets to mess with one, and wouldn't want one anyway, I can't verify. Knowing Apple in their infinite wisdom, it probably turns into a paper weight without any Internet source at all.

If you're a computer dork like I am, and if you want to have some sort of Internet at your home provided you still have electricity. Grab the program called XAMPP which contains a LAMP stack and install your own Wikipedia for family members to contribute to and a phpBB forum. You can run the XAMPP server on a computer and with the computer's ports open or firewall dropped (don't need it in a SHTF scenario) you can access web pages like you would the Internet.

When I get the money to build my bunker I will have a local Intranet/Internet for the board out of their minds. LOL! You could use a Wikipedia install as a journal type thing.

You can also download all of Wikipedia and use Wikitaxi to view it. I did just that and the whole damn thing is burned to a 25 GB M-Disc which is suppose to last 1,000 years. In addition to Wikipedia, I have the MP3 of the national anthem on there, the lyrics, the Bible, and other things. It's my wish to have that disk placed in my casket since I know my grave may be an archeological find some 500 years from now should mankind weather the 6th extinction. God I hope we do. Mankind has bleed, sweat, cried a million tears, fought countless wars, discovered, innovated, invented, landed on the moon, sent probes to interstellar space and have a few on Mars to just expire one day. We've come too far to be fizzled out. We just need to get our collective shit together.

Justin Baker likes this.