What types of items to expect in My Survival Forum store?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by hades_leae, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I'm actually anticipating a great reveal of the store that is coming soon. I want to know what others expect to see in the store when it launches when ever they plan to do it.

Any items you really want to see, or possible things that could help other survivalist that they might not know about?

I had no idea that there were rocks specifically designed to start fires by clicking them together. Just an example.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The only natural rocks that I know of for making fire are Iron Pyrite & siliceous rocks such as flint, agate, quartz etc.
    I don't expect there to be any long term wilderness survival gear unless there are some decent blades. Most everything classed as survival gear these days is high tech & a waste of money.
    Keith.

hades_leae likes this.
  3. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

And high tech do not usually last that long without proper maintenance. So I think low tech gears are actually more useful if we know how to use them.

Those fire rocks are good ideas. I wonder how long will they last though. Do they have a limited useful life if you keep using them on a daily basis for making fire?

Jean cine likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    These are natural occurring rocks, so it depends on the size of rock you are using as to how long it lasts. But a decent sized rock will last a very long time. Pyrite is struck with a siliceous rock to create sparks just like striking a fire steel. Flint & steel is the better way to go, using just rocks is fine if that is all you have.

[​IMG] This is Iron Pyrite, also known as "Fools Gold".

[​IMG] This is flint in its natural unbroken form.

[​IMG] This is a piece of Agate.

[​IMG]
    This rock was found about 100 klm from where I live, & to me it looks more like quartz than flint.
    [​IMG]
    This shows a selection of fire steels, & siliceous rocks for striking sparks from the steel.

5. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Haha, that is so true, I found a tent that pops up literally in three seconds. It was designed to pop open and stand up on it's own so that you don't have to put it together. Sure that is super cool, but not for $400 dollars. Many things that I have seen for camping, bugging out, etc, are just really for profits.

Many companies out there create products that are so ridiculous, and people buy them, well if you find something you want and are willing to spend the money, then it's OK. I just won't be the one wasting money like you said.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

One of my tents is also an "instant" tent. It can pop open in seconds, but it is not so easy to carry since it is the shape of a large disc when packed up. Mine cost me only $50 from Decathlon. :p I guess it is not made of such durable material and that is why it is cheaper than yours. Tent is only good for warm weather and safe locations. On a camping trip, I'd use tents. In a survival scenario, I think it is a bad idea though. Whoever is inside the tend would be vulnerable to attack. Yeah, that was actually the reason kept me awake most of the night during my last camping trip... haha. Because I had the tent set up at a place where I am not supposed to stay overnight.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would like to see tents, food for storage, fire starters, first aid kits , and the straw that filters water. Thanks for asking.