What Will I Find?

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by koolhandlinc, Apr 21, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      131/173

Blog Posts:
    So about 10 years ago. I took a bunch of new 5 gallon buckets. I purchased 50 pound bags of rice and brown beans. I put all the rice in buckets and then the beans. I purchased dry ice and dropped some in each bucket just before filling. Finally placing the lids on each bucket.

I am planning to open one of each this years and see what happened. If the products ruined. If the CO2 gas from the dry ice preserved the product of not.

What do you think I will find?

2. Jim B

Jim B New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    CO2 in gas form is heavier than O2 and if actually was able to force all the Oxygen from the containers before sealing, basically you created an O2 free storage environment. Most dry foods will last much longer without the presents of Oxygen. I take it that was your desired goal. As far as the effect the CO2 will have on the foodstuff There shouldn't be any as long as there was no presents of H2O. The real trick is to vent out all other gases and/or liquids and forming an air tight seal. I found this sight which shows a study done on wheat and flour if you would like to check it out.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/...of-concentrations-of-co2-in-home-food-storage

Good Luck,
    Jim :)

3. Jim B

Jim B New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    One other thing that I might add is dried beans basically have an indefinite shelf life if vacuum packed, Rice is about 25 to 30 years.