What would it take for you to kill a human?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Damorale, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is of course entirely hypothetical.

But we all are aware of how we could not trust other people after the apocalypse because of what they could do to harm us, steal our things, kill us, etc. Has anyone considered their own level of desperation after shtf, and whether we might turn into the monsters that we think we should avoid? Do you think you would be capable of killing someone? How much do you think you would have to gain for the murder to seem worth it?

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Settle my sights on pull the trigger after the shtf due to whatever has happen and we are here in survival mode anyone that comes in is not entering our zone nor are they leaveing illness danger to us is why

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if its a case of "him or me" then no contest.

Caribou and Keith H. like this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    What if it is a "her" or a child? how about an old lady? Holy man?

How big a war can you handle?
    WWI was started by killing just one man!

5. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    You know, after the SHTF I'd like to think I'll continue to follow the example of the Prophet Muhammad (saws). I'll acknowledge when people flee (even if they attacked us in the first place) and not harm them, I'll never attack anyone under any circumstances. I'll only attack someone who actively rages war on my tribe of people.

Harming anyone can only be in self-defense or in defense of the tribe, and as far as I am concerned that's how it should be. Live as peacefully as humanly possible.

It would take an awful lot for me to harm someone, if I could even at all.
    Hell, I'm a softie on my kids even when they deserve a mild discipline (confiscation of something for instance.)

6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    When time comes you will find what is needed good luck to you and yours

7. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    You know, as per my intro topic I hope the time never does come.
    But thank you, and good luck to you and yours too. :)

And you're right, survival mode is a very different ball game. I guess only put in the situation will I ever know my capability.

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never enjoyed killing, & I will never kill unless there is a need. I don't believe the majority of good people would become murderers, killing for the sake of killing with no feelings for the victim. But good people who need to protect themselves & their family & friends will kill. To hesitate is to die. I don't have a death wish.
    Having said that I know there are people out there who say they could never kill, never use a gun, & these people would die. Their choice.
    Keith.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised a good Catholic and the teachings of my religion is paramount to me. I would honestly say that right now I cannot kill a human being, I wouldn't have the guts. Even a suggestion to kill would make me cringe. However, I might have the courage to do that or maybe let's call it reflex action - I can kill a person who is threatening my life or the life of my loved ones. Man has the instinct for self-survival and most humans have that innate desire to preserve the life of their loved ones. In other words, a person may change to extreme behavior when in a life-and-death situation.

Caribou and Keith H. like this.
  10. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Among all the baffling questions a person could ask here, this is probably the winner. Nevertheless, is a valid point and is something that could happen in survival circumstances. I'm not a psychopath in any way, nor do I enjoy cruelty and killing, also, maturity has increased my ability to feel empathy. So yeah, you can pretty much figure out that I hope to never have to stumble upon with this situation. What would I do if it happens? I can't tell.

Caribou likes this.
  11. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I know that I could kill as an act of self defense. I think my question here was a bit more geared towards what you would kill for that wasn't to directly prevent yourself from being killed. For example, in a hypothetical situation where you cannot find food (perhaps imagining an apocalyptic situation where food becomes inedible) and you stumble upon a person who has food but naturally won't share it. Would you kill to steal his food?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no I wont.
    survival is about being self reliant and having the knowledge and skills to make it on our own without inflicting pain and death on others.

Ystranc likes this.
  13. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't even think about killing someone for their food. For a start you could put that energy int finding your own food. The only thing I would kill for is to protect the life of myself and my loved ones.

Ystranc, Keith H. and lonewolf like this.
  14. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Much depends on the situation!
    I would not if I have no need to! no point. everyone is entitled to life so long as they don't want to interfere with mine!
    I do not pick fights nor do I lose them!

Ystranc likes this.
  15. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Either in direct self defence, or necessity of survival.

Essentially if someone else had the only supply of food, even if they were not directly threatening me, I would use any means possible to survive, even if that involved killing. That's the only time in excess of direct self defence.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    then you've lost the plot. survival is about SELF reliance not self preservation.

17. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Would you rather starve to death yourself rather than take someone else's food? I understand there killing and stealing are immoral, but in a life or death scenario, when all other options are exhausted could you not kill someone else as a last resort?

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    who said your survival is more important than someone else's? if your serious about survival then start prepping, don't start talking about murder as if its a survival item.

19. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the scenario. It's all very well prepping, but if you find yourself in a situation where you're on some remote island and the one other person is hoarding all the food, would you let yourself die?

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    .i'd never put myself in a situation where I would end up on an island, anyone that gets into that position is more likely to find themselves alone, so the question is irrelevant.

21. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It's interesting to see someone with the views of lucidcuber and thank you for being honest. When I first made this post, I honestly thought most people would reply as they did - that they could only kill if someone was directly threatening their life.

Like lonewolf, I feel that if someone else has food, they probably deserve it more than I do as they obviously prepared for the situation better than I did. I would prefer to imagine I'll never be in the situation of course.

But then I also acknowledge that desperation makes people do crazy things. I'd like to think I'd never kill to get food, but then I've never been so hungry that the thought has entered my mind. If I did do it, it would be an act of insanity and not something I think is in any way moral.

22. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I really think that we have to be careful about the decisions we make. You may be acting out of desperation but what goes around comes around. The point of survival is to avoid threats to your survival and that's even in the future. If you kill someone for there food, the chances of someone killing you for yours somewhere down the line is possible. I think people should be willing to help each other out, but this is why keeping order
    is important in a lawless society anything can happen.

Ystranc likes this.
  23. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    In a scenario where chaos ensues and the system is no longer in place, it will always be the individual that defends his family and property. Defending your loved ones does not make you a monster. Protecting yourself from those that want to harm you doesn't make you evil. That is the world before electricity was invented. Farmers and land owners will tell you, "trespassers will be shot on sight". I'm sure everyone has heard that one. That is the way it was a 100+ years ago, and in a cataclysmic event, we will revert back to how we survived.

24. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    With a specific end goal to kill another human person I trust that separation from the truth is the key in my case. I can not intentionally choose to kill but rather I can take action to protect myself by any methods necessary. If the individual that I am defending myself against happens to die, I won't feel as remorseful so long that I am certain that I am defending myself.

25. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't even know, this is a really deep question for me. I would say true and unbridled necessity is the only way to encapsulate it, my firm and unwavering belief that it -must- be done, even then I'm gonna be feeling it for an indefinite amount of time...

26. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We are here to tell you the facts in order to survive it may be needed to take a life to protect your self and your family dont go looking for trouble stay safe and hid but when time comes to defend do so

27. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I don't think it'd ever be right to kill out of spite or jealousy. I feel like I have sort of a very moral basis. So for me to kill someone in an apocalypse, I think the situation would have to be very dire, one way or the other. Of course, I think it's best to try to get things a fair and square way first, and I don't see why you'd have much trouble keeping yourself provided for as long as you were prepared, educated, and smart. I think there are ways to get out of a sticky situation without killing, but probably not worth the risk in those situations. So of course, if it was life threatening, that's the obvious one. The less obvious, is if it's simply what you NEED to do to survive. Like you've ran out of food 3 days ago, no food for miles upon miles, and the only person around doesn't want to share. If you can't steal some food without repercussion, then you're only choice might be to kill them. And that would just be what you would have to do, if you want to live.

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the only valid reason to kill is to defend life and property, and that goes for post apocalypse too, if someone hasn't learnt that yet they haven't been listening.
    we are preppers and survivalists to survive not turn into rapid murdering psycopaths.
    i'm afraid if you go around killing others for their food you aren't going to last long W.R.O.L., you will find yourself dangling from a tree on a rope before long.
    even in the apocalypse there will be consequences for your actions, make sure you don't live(or die) to regret them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    DaBozzLady likes this.
  29. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I can kill another person. It's just not in me. I would rather have a barrier to avoid them from coming into my home. Sadly people will turn into monsters. I remember watching a Twilight Zone episode where one man made a shelter for his family to protect them. He warned his neighbors to prepare, but they choose to ignore him. When the planet was about to experience devastation, the neighbors destroyed his shelter in desperation of survival. Now this was just a show, but so much true in what could happen.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there will be a time of panic and desperation post apocalypse but it will be short lived, very soon the survivors will realise it is better to cooperate than fight each other.

31. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Most people believe they aren't capable of doing lots of things. You've heard stories of people who killed others 'accidentally' whilst they were defending themselves?

Post-apocalypse when people will want to murder you for anything you have or because they became cannibals you'll find out that killing in self defense isn't that hard. Of course you might feel guilty afterwards but point is everyone will do anything to survive and that includes killing someone who is trying to hurt them or their loved ones.

lonewolf likes this.
  32. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'll most likely kill a person from defending myself and my loved ones and if i have to commit this unforgivable sin hypothetically, i'd prefer a quick and easy way by gunning my enemy down from a distance.

33. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You do have a point there. I just hope that I am not around when that happens. I remember reading about families traveling during the winter months (a century ago) and people not surviving. The survivors ate the dead in order to survive. So we never know what we have to do to live.

34. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It would take a lot for me to kill an individual depending on the situation if the person is trying to kill me or my loved ones then an attack will be in process; especially for my kids, grandchildren, siblings or parents!

35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if its a case of "kill or be killed", make sure its the other person!!

36. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I would kill over self-defense or over the defense of my loved ones. I would kill whenever it was a necessity to remain safe and defend my home.

37. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I believe that the general consensus on this forum is that killing for self-defense or in defense of your family is not only acceptable but even admirable, especially in a survival context. I would certainly agree with those two condition but I could also see myself killing someone to gain access to needed provisions or other materials if either myself or my family member was starving or critically ill .. a sort of 'survival of the fittest' mentality.

38. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I suspect that taking someone's life could change a person forever. It would have to be a situation of the attacker trying to kill me or someone in my family. It would have to be a clear cut case of him or me.

39. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if I sound like a psycopath but I would do anything, especially kill threats, to protect myself and the people I love. I would also kill someone in case they were suffering and they don't have a chance of staying alive (that would be a rough decision if I were to be in this position though, I know that). Killing in self-defense I think is crucial for survival.

40. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Killing another human would have to mean that my life or someone I love's life is in danger. I could not kill a human for no reason at all. It would have to be through pure survival instinct. I could not hurt a person unless they truly deserved it and even then, it would be a difficult task. The only time I could see this being appropriate is if the person was trying to take my life. If someone was trying to harm my family and I, all bets would be off and I would try my best to take their life prior to them taking mine.

41. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    "What would it take for you to kill a human?"....hmm, like another poster mentioned, the question is more than just baffling, it's extensive because there is no real right or wrong answer. So I had to think on it for a minute. As several posters said, mainly due to life or death situations. Then you have to think, well anybody who possesses a weapon, whether illegal or legal, can and will kill if given the opportunity. That's what weapons are made for: to protect. And usually it boils down to a "me or them" scenario.

As was said no, for the most of us, it's not something that we want to do, but if we have to, if given no other choice, I choose myself and my family. And like one of the mods said, trust and believe, people do band together and defend themselves against the "cowards who are overdoing it by just killing unnecessarily". At some point after SHTF, we have to band together to continue surviving. Death is a part of life, but I don't think anyone, if their back is pushed against the wall, would innately choose death. And I don't think there's specifically a "right situation" just situations that happen and it's better to be prepared than not. So my advice would be if you have a weapon, you have it for a reason. Use it wisely! If it comes to "you or them" or "life or death", it's your choice.

Ystranc likes this.
  42. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    In certain circumstances I would most certainly do so without hesitation. Those would be the defense of my family, myself, and my country. Using lethal force in those cases are legal and, imho, moral. While naked aggression is morally bankrupt, I've never understood the pacifistic mindset either.

Doubletap45 likes this.
  43. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree 100% with the above post. Well said. I have no desire to kill anyone, but would not hesitate or let it be a life changing event in defense of myself, family or Country.
    I'd challenge anyone who would try to take what I had to survive, if thy didn't back off, I'd drop the hammer on them also.
    To kill to take from another, no.

Understand that if the SHTF , there will be those who will kill anyone for something they want, kidnap and rape woman and children and will do unspeakable acts.
    I would not hesitate to take out a person as I have described or be a part of a group who took them out.
    With no jails and rule of law, some things will have to be taken in our own hands.

I'm a Sheepdog.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    lonewolf likes this.
  44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    post SHTF, WROL we will all have to be our own security.
    don't expect the police to come running, they'll be too busy looking after their own families, especially if they aren't being paid anymore.

45. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    In a society WROL there is no right or wrong, there is no good or bad!
    There is only success or failure
    The sooner one adapts to this mindset the better there chances!

No goals can be scored or missed if the goalposts are gone! hence goals become irrelevant!
    If laws are not enforced, laws become irrelevant! and there is no legal or illegal

46. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    post SHTF, there will be no such thing as a good or bad decision, only decisions, make your choice and live with it and move on.

47. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I will not raid you and yours we are well set up here we will defend what is ours we have 111acres here with water food and can keep going for a long time leave us alone and dont come in we will leave you alone tresspass in you more,nlikely will die

48. RICH-FL

RICH-FL Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    I'm a retired GySgt USMC, and Deputy Sheriff living here in Florida. I do not talk about my experience's because I still wake up sweating in the middle of the night 40+ years later. I have buried friends and enemies alike.

49. RICH-FL

RICH-FL Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    PS: it does not take very much to be able to kill someone, the question is can you do it again and again and again.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Only a direct threat to me or mine and yes I could do it over and over again if needed.

Caribou and Morgan101 like this.