What would it take for you to kill a human?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Damorale, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Today it would take a fair bit for me to damage another human but the same rules will always apply.
    If I need to I need to and if I need to then I will do no problems.
    I wont like it but I wont hate it either, just another task to be done and if it is worth doing it is worth doing well:D

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    This is one of those survey / data collection....ie... "Herding' questions of which I made mention some time back.

From a personal view..I don't want to know what it would take for a member to kill someone.

I think this is a textbook fishing/cataloguing question....by a mole...or rat on this site...fishing for someone else's data train.

I do not want to be around two legged wildlife.....good times or bad. I can appreciate the motives of four legged wildlife more than can I the two legged variety.

I never want to become two legged wildlife....not that It could not happen to me...it certainly can. I just prefer not to go down that road could I prevent it.

There is a personal concern that once one starts down that road...it can become difficult to journey back from whence one came.

Just my non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes things have to be done. What if they aren't an immediate direct threat, but if you leave them be you just know they will be a huge problem later? In a WROL/TEOTWAKI world, different rules will necessarily apply.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    +1 Chris, I agree that this seems like a fishing question, it also strikes me as the kind of question that cannot possibly be truthfully answered until the occasion arrises.

5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Agree Ystranc...agree!!

This is about one stupid question and one for which each of us will have to weigh out for ourselves and our families.

It is not a question to be taken by a newspaper or television news poll....what a stupid Idiotic thought.

One has to be publically educated in what passes for schools...today...a television and movie education in stupid...to ask such a question.

Hence I give it the pattern of fishing for someone or something out there. Not interested.

I've worked in a shipyard for many many years building air craft carriers and submarines....including the tomahawk delivery systems....also on boomers...ICBM class boats... also commercial work...ocean liners....tankers , freighters, container ships ..etc etc. I have plenty of blood on my hands..from this kind of work.
    Tomahawks have been use aplenty in the last ten years or so.

Working on ocean liners taught me that I never want to go out on an ocean liner...ever...

You members make your own choices here and live with them but I've seen enough to never want to go out on an Ocean Liner no matter how fancy and luxurious they try to make them look. Ain't happening on my watch ..I've seen to much.

What a stupid question to ask someone. Gotta be an Ishmaelite behind it.

Not all of us live safe and secure lives behind our steering wheels and television remote controllers. Some of us take real risks for our monies...where most would tremble to go.

Some of us ....we go to the dark side..so to speak.....we may not come back.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="watcherchris, post: 46673, member: 980

There is a personal concern that once one starts down that road...it can become difficult to journey back from whence one came.

Just my non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris[/QUOTE]

That sir is because you are not your own master!
    Shed your masters and be your own man again!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow Olde Guy...

Wow....is that not the essence of what Nicolo Machiavelli was discussing in "The Prince??"

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My head says yes I could do it if me or mine were threatened, and depending on the circumstance I can have a very short fuse. I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. I don't know what my heart says, God forbid, the situation ever comes up, and how you will feel afterward you will never know until you do it.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Killing is in some ways an instinct in human males. Give a little boy a BB gun and he is going to kill a bird. I was doing it with slingshots before I got the BB gun. Man is a predator. We try to cover it up with rules and morals but in the end, it is there. When you live in closer to the bone sort of life you learn how to kill young. Butchering starts with killing the animal in cold blood. The more often you do it the less it bothers you.

Without our rules and morals, we are little more than animals. These "rules" are impressed on us early on and we depend on them to guide us. Children have no conscience. They are taught this. Different people have very different rules and ways of looking at things.

When a person goes to war part of the programming that they received has to be modified. This was a lot easier in past generations because back before WW2 people dealt with death more personally. 60% of the people in the US were rural and most killed they supper fairly often. People more often died at home instead of being shipped off to die in a hospital or Hospice facility.

Dealing with death requires distancing from your kill. You have to set your empathy aside. In war, you dehumanize your enemy and even though the politically correct idiots hate it you don't even call them nice names. My Dad fought the Krauts and Japs. My generation fought the gooks and now we have been fighting the ragheads for a long time. We do this to separate our enemies from being people...like us and our family and friends. It is easier to deal with killing something that you can see as somewhat subhuman.

Unfortunately, the reality eventually sinks in and the war ends. How people then deal with what they had to do varies tremendously. Everyone had different experiences, different upbringing and more or less understanding and help when they came home. Before the current era, PTSD was basically denied and swept under the table.

In answer to the question, I will kill if you try to harm me or mine. That means that you don't physically attack us, steal from us or at different times threaten us. Life is cheap if you can't live it free of fear. I would rather you be afraid of me then I spend my life being afraid of you. I honestly don't think that I would hesitate to kill under the right circumstances. I don't think it would bother me much either. I might regret the necessity of it but I wouldn't beat myself up about it.

10. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I have killed before in self-defense. I will likely again. And I’ve seen a lot of people hesitant. I started a thread to discuss why people do or do not.

Caribou likes this.
  11. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    It is mostly religious based fear one way or another

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I feel insufficiently articulate and quite frankly, am not want to answer such. Life's darknesses too often open such hellish doors. Many on this site have locked and loaded to push the Mercy of God on our immortal souls.

Not a pleasant topic. Not for such a site as this. Ask me what it is I do to avoid being pushed into damnable circumstance. I will deal with the bilge in the basement of my own soul. Rest assured I've enough of my own to handle and I need not know the Sisyphean tasks of others.

13. Richard Earley

Richard Earley Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    If you have to kill you probably will not have time to think about it...Don't think or talk just shoot...Me I would wound the target..A.22 in the leg foot butt or groin is definitely going to slow the target down and cause them to reconsider their actions..It will also make a dent in the med supplies if they have any and someone will have to baby sit them..

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    To me and it is just my opinion. If you have to shoot somebody, then they are too dangerous to be left alive. You shoot to kill and don't stop shooting until they stop moving. Even a rabid critter needs to be mercifully put down and not just wounded and left to suffer.

Caribou and Skywalker like this.
  15. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    To take a life is no small feat. You feel like you committed an absolute unholy sin and you live with it for the rest of your life.

If you have to and its yours vs there's then you better make a quick decision to take action. Save yourself and your family or those you love.

Caribou, Skywalker and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    Killing another human being is not a normal thought for the average person living in a civilized society. However, transport that same person to a hostile environment, whether it is Baghdad or Baltimore, and survival mode kicks in when another human being tries to take YOUR life. Trust me, I did not feel elated or depressed after seeing an Iraqi shot for trying to kill me. My first thought was, “You dumb fucker. Look at you now. Are you better off?”

17. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I hadn't seen this thread before. I find it strange that no one commented on the original posters assumption that killing was murder.

They are different. Infantry training in my day made sure you understood that difference.

I am a combat veteran. I know my limits.

Dale

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Skywalker like this.
  18. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    Too bad the OP hasn’t been seen on here in a couple of years. I re-read her post just now and I honestly can’t decipher what she was trying to accomplish......

19. Richard Earley

Richard Earley Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    3 tours to Vietnam...I did my share..Don't want to again but if my life or a 3rd party life is at steak I won't be dying that day...

Morgan101, Caribou, Dalewick and 2 others like this.
  20. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    Yes, sir. One tour in Iraq was enough for me. A very unhealthy place for any American to be deployed.

21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "What would it take for you to kill a human?"

Given the mood I've been in for the past few days, not much.

Very strong emotions run in my family. Once my dad told me to go get his gun. I did. The guys didn't return. My father was going to kill them. He was. What did they do? They ran over our dog on purpose, then ran over another dog up the road for the fun of killing. My father stood there with his revolver waiting for them to tool back 'round. My father quietly stood there. My dad cared about that dog. He had no use for useless people. Same with his brothers.

On multiple occasions the word was put out in our family to NOT tell my dad this or that. This, so as to keep his name out of the papers. His dad, my grandfather (my best buddy in childhood up to age 6, he died when I was 6) put a bullet through a would-be thief's scrotum. Pap was a good shot. I have his nickel-plated revolver in my right pocket as I write this.

I myself have locked and loaded, but the other guy backed down (two occasions in my life) when they came to the realization what kind of creature it was that they were standing in front of. Killing someone, I would fear being caught by the law or invoking God's anger. I fear God. But for most humans, I simply feel nothing whatsoever. In my lifetime, there have only been a handful of people I cared anything about. I can't see me going around killing women and children. But I'd have no qualms killing men I don't like. I had an uncle in WWII who killed many, many Germans -- he got the Bronze Star, he should have gotten the Silver Star as did his commanding officer.

Here's another thing to consider in the civilian world. Humans are heavy. So you kill a useless human, shouldn't you have to clean-up after yourself?! Manners. It's work. I'm lazy.

22. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Skywalker,

Ref: "Baltimore";

I've walked in refugee camps in Asia and the Middle East that were safer and cleaner than large areas of Baltimore.

The murder rate in Baltimore, America's deadliest city, is twice that of Mexico.

Fortunately for the American public, we have a managed media to keep the powder key from scaring our society.

23. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    I believe you, Pragmatist. It makes me wonder if John Carpenter wasn’t prophetic with his film....

Dalewick, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  24. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    To protect my life or an innocent third party, mostly friends and family. The decision is best made years ahead of time so you don't hesitate. That simple act will change you forever and can't be withdrawn. I will only shoot to stop. Centre mass is the quickest way to stop the bad guy. Death may be a byproduct of stopping them, too bad.

Someone asked about women and children. Plenty of bad guys are female, gender has nothing to do with it. If you are a 2 year old that found daddy's gun that is one thing. If you are a teen or preteen looking to do me harm, you have chosen to act as an adult, and would be tried as an adult in a court of law. Death is death.

25. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    Especially here in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, the average citizen is forbidden by the state from carrying a firearm to protect themselves. Meanwhile, criminals ignore the laws and are armed with every conceivable weapon imaginable.

26. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a SHTF situation-and only then- its kill or be killed.

Skywalker and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    When the world has gone FUBAR, then the need to take a life could become a reality.

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a purely security self defence WROL situation then I agree.

TMT Tactical and Skywalker like this.
  29. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    An armed teenager would look mighty adult to me.

There are plenty of women around who are not human.

It's almost like some science-fiction movie, sometimes humans morph into something that is unrecognizable as human. They turn into a thing. When you see it, there's a wave of something that pours over you. You feel a form of nausea; some other-worldy disgust. You simply need to make it go away, when it speaks.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they can either walk away from me or be dragged away, I don't much care which.
    if people leave me alone I will leave them alone.

31. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I may have to rethink this whole issue. Given the current state of affairs it may get much easier.

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    My remarks are all geared towards a WROL situation, so post SHTF.
    I don't want anything to do with other people (face to face) now much less after civilisation has collapsed, I just want a quiet life and to be left the hell alone.
    as long as people do that they wont have a problem with me.

TMT Tactical, Skywalker and Morgan101 like this.
  33. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    That’s exactly what I tell my neighbors across the street : don’t fuck with me or my property and we’ll get along just fine. Otherwise....World War 3.

34. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    I think I’ll stay out of your hair for a while. ;)

35. Skywalker

82/115

Blog Posts:
    Well, I sure want you in front of me when I’m walking through a dark alley. ;)

36. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am without hair. Hell, my sons are now bald.

37. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Durring the obummer administration some federal agencies trained with targets of old ladies, children, and pregnant women just to get them primed to shoot the people we normally protect.

Skywalker and TMT Tactical like this.