What would you buy first?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by branchd77, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's very important to check your local thrift shops and flea markets for things. I have found very expensive hunting and fishing gear at thrift shops for under $5 (a normally $75 2 person tent, fishing poles, hunting knives, etc.). I would definitely invest in a casting net, backpack, tarp, rope, twine, plastic bags, sanitary wipes, chapstick, lighters, matches, a space blanket, and a knife. These are the basics. I would spend the rest wisely, if there was any left, on non perishables and water purifying equipment as well.

2. Hope

Hope New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hmm! Excess of fishing hooks, string, and weights, a good skinning knife, a knife for other uses, probably a bow, uh... a good hatchet, fold able saw, and warm clothing! Well. Actually I don't think 100 would get me all of that. So those would probably be my priorities, minus the bow since I know how to carve them, it'll take me a few times but I'd get it right eventually lol.l

3. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    For my survival kit I will buy dried foods/canned goods, water, medical aids, survival tools and other miscellaneous things which I can buy with the $100. All I have to do is to budget buying each item even only a few to be sure I have one for each of them for my needs.

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The first things that come to my mind is a basic tent for the number of people in your household and a backpack. The backpack needs to contain a map of your town/area, clean water, a first aid book, a flashlight with extra batteries, a cigarette lighter, a large blanket and enough nutritional food bars for each member of your family for 72 hours, and a box of tissues (blow your nose and wipe after bathroom breaks). The items for the backpack should not be a burden to carry and will go a long way in the first few days of getting your bearings.

5. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    I would start with hiking boots and a backpack with bottled water, a pocket knife, lighters, string, fish hooks, beef jerky, a flashlight, insect repellent, a first aide kit, a small air horn, ( to hopefully scare preditors away), and a survival handbook.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Using the rivers is a smart idea. Would save my feet. Awesome plan. I think I will need a combination of land and water gear. I am only 5 miles from the river. We should get a craft and explore.

7. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This really depends on where you are at. I would definitely by a water filter that could make any water drinkable. I would by matches, some fishing hooks and fishing string. I would get some non perishable food items. I would get a flashlight and so me extra batteries, some hand warmers. I would get a knife, a gun and some ammunition.

8. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    You know I've never even considered how important a good pair of heavy duty worn in boots would be in a survival situation. I've got a pair of cowboy boots and more athletic shoes than I know what to do with but those are the only shoes that even might work and those would all be pretty useless in short order.

9. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would buy water purification systems and a nice tent. I'm sure there are cheap ones that are in the budget of 100$ and if there aren't any then i would have to agree with Anaconda and buy a tool. It may be of use in many different ways.

10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think fire, water, and a blade of some sort would be important. I would buy a life straw because with this you can definitely get more water, if you come across a stream or pond you can drink directly from it. A fire starter is a must, this way you can start fires without having to worry about running out of matches or lighter fluid. A machete would help a lot also but it should be one with dual purposes like one side with a saw and the other with a chopping blade.

11. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Definitely a small first aid kit and a multi tool that can help in almost any situation.

12. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'd buy the best books on 'how to survive in wilderness 101', a knife, maybe seeds of basic vegetables and herbs. Lol.

13. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    They invented this specially made straw that can filter out any water source without ever needing batteries or replacement, and could provide clean water for nearly a year. I think that's a pretty good start for survival, as you would need a constant supply of water, and without it, you would have to really look for an open and clean source of water, which may take a while. With the specialized straw, you can drink from puddles and all that will reach your mouth would be pure water, removing toxins, microbacteria, and all the things that may be lurking within the murky surface of muddy waters.

14. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This may be a bit of a concession to the amenities of modern life but I'd probably buy the Solo solar-powered fire starter and tinder hot box. As long as the sun was shining and even if the cloud deck wasn't too thick, I'd be able to easily start a fire to boil water to remove the impurities and cook any game that I managed to kill. With the remaining $70, I'd probably invest in a decent quality hunting knife, a canteen and a wide-brimmed hat to protect and a stainless steel pot in which to hold the water/game.

15. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I always say a good knife, an axe, water is more less hard to carry around and it would be the best to have some spring around your place, some crop seeds would be nice so you plant food. I would by a chicken and a goat to carry around as well but not enough money for that. Oh well, I would steal some things if I was out of money. Eggs, milk and good blades are very important. Water is however a necessity for all three of us.

16. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I buy books that show how to make use of or repair and maintain tools.
    Most of the "gear" you need can be purchased very cheaply at yard sales and such. Buy the best you can and know how to maintain it.

17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This would depend on whether you are living at a retreat off grid already or planning on bugging out with no retreat to go to. Certain items are needed in both cases. I think you would have to purchase second hand items with only $100 to spend. Even then you would not be able to purchase everything you need. Skills are very important, & can cost little to learn. I think you would need to make a list of all the things that you need to get, then prioritise.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  18. Lilevl

Lilevl Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I learned boots from survivor man.

19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Boots are good, but you need to know how to replace them when they wear out. Making center seam woodland Indian moccasins is a good option.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

lonewolf likes this.
  20. Ronnie Sanders

Ronnie Sanders Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:

21. Ronnie Sanders

Ronnie Sanders Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    If you look around you can find a good use shotgun from $50 to $125,00 I have lots of guns but I just got a 20ga off of a friend for $50 last week and took it out and it shoots good I killed a deer with it

22. Ronnie Sanders

Ronnie Sanders Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    This is the 20ga i got off of my friend for $50 I did not need it but for $50 you can't beat it I have lots of guns you just got to look around you can find guns out there from anywhere from $50 to a $125.00 in shotguns

23. Ronnie Sanders

Ronnie Sanders Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:

24. Ronnie Sanders

Ronnie Sanders Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    It want let me show you a pic of it

Keith H. likes this.
  25. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    hand tools,and other items that don't require electricity..hopefully there's yard/garage sales at the time,for lower prices on the older tools..

Keith H. likes this.
  26. Ol' John

Ol' John New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Learning how to tan an animal hide will help with making the moccasins. I used to make my own mocs and it is a pleasure to wear something you made by hand.

27. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You have to get the Direct code from somewhere like Photoshop.
    Keith.

SHARE THIS PHOTO

Email & IM

Direct

28. Stan Marymee

Stan Marymee New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Probably a portable water filtration system. YouTube and Instructables.com are great places that show you how to build cheep and good preparation devices for survival of most sorts. A bug out backpack would be next followed by EMP protection devices.

29. ladyluck

ladyluck New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    leaves are a good substitute, just make sure they aren't poison ivy or some such nefarious plant.

30. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Gerber Ultimate survival knife.

31. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    trouble is, in the UK Gerber goes together with that idiot Bear Grylls, which puts me off forever from buying any of their gear, and its all overpriced anyway!

Grumpy Max and sarky like this.
  32. ApoTraBO

ApoTraBO New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Cordage, 10x10 plastic sheet, ax, 2 plastic bottles (one of 500 ml and one of 1500 ml), 4 aspirins, 10 recharges for cutter, nails and a metal cup.

33. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    $100.00 isn't much in todays society. If you are starting from scratch, a good durable knife would be my choice. You can make other tools with it, defend yourself and if the blade is polished and shiny, use it as a signal mirror. The rest you can acquire latter either when you have the money or by scrounging. Depending where you live, hit the yard sales and flea markets, you can find some good buys there.

34. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    something wrong with your bed???:p

35. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You will need a pack of some description, I suggest you get a knapsack. You can use the knapsack as a pillow, though a pillow is not as important as many other items. Water is good, though you may not have to purchase it. Having good water containers is important though. A knife is good, but a good tomahawk is better. You can use the head of a tomahawk as a knife, you can use a tomahawk for defence, hunting, hammering, & for throwing for recreation. If you are sleeping on the floor/ground, you might want to think about obtaining a good wool blanket.
    Keith.

36. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are very much mistaken prasanna, humans have made & used weapons ever since they came into being. Even chimpanzees use weapons. Contrary to what you may believe, the world we live in is NOT a safe place, it never has been. If you have something worth having, sooner or later there will be someone who will want to take it from you. Some people torture, rape & murder just for fun. The sooner you get a handle on this & stop seeing this world through rose tinted glasses the better chance of survival you will have.
    Keith.

37. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    It depends on what you mean by "survive" and "out side of society" but one all around tool that can help you make many things such as fire tools, shelter, other tools, weapons and many other things is a good machete. It is the one and sometimes only tool taken into the jungle by indigenous peoples of Central and South America, Southeast Asia, Africa and many Islands of the Caribbean. It's my first choice, good footwear is next.

Keith H. likes this.
  38. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, but NOT the best tool for areas that are NOT jungle.
    Keith.

39. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I gree.

40. mwah

mwah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    The stuff that I would buy with a 100$ would be one or two of these paracord bracelets, a good knife, a waterproof backpack, and a stainless steel water container. That is most probably what I wold buy in such cases.

41. sanny99

sanny99 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    For me it's very important to check your local thrift shops and flea markets for things. I have found very expensive hunting and fishing gear at thrift shops for under $5 (a normally $75 2 person tent, fishing poles, hunting knives, etc.). I would definitely invest in a casting net, backpack, tarp, rope, twine, plastic bags, sanitary wipes, chapstick, lighters, matches, a space blanket, and a knife. These are the basics. I would spend the rest wisely, if there was any left, on non perishables and water purifying equipment as well.

42. Jewelweed

Jewelweed Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    If I was starting from scratch, I'd buy:
    Used backpack (with a large yard garbage bag inside to be used as a rain cover if necessary)
    Water treatment tablets
    Recycle something to hold water in like a liter soda bottle. Ziploc bags are also good for temporarily carrying water.
    Knife and sharpener
    Lighter
    hammock, tarp and paracord
    Fishing line and hooks
    a large bottle of multi-vitamins and a jar of peanut butter
    A book on local edible plants

I would look at things I already owned to build a first aid kit and pick a blanket to use or find a cheap sleeping bag. Then I'd look at lists like "$100 backpacking gear list" and dirtbag hiking for cheap gear suggestions.

If I had a hundred dollars now to add to my current kit, I would add packs of soylent to my supplies. It's a great emergency food replacement that I recently tasted and found that it wasn't too bad. It's boring but condensed calories (2000 calories in 424 grams of powder) are important.

Keith H. likes this.
  43. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post. Good to see someone making sensible choices. There are some items you missed out, & I would choose a more sustainable method of making fire than a lighter, but on the whole a good list. Well done.
    Keith.

44. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    For $100 I can't imagine there is too much that would help me last very long. It's gonna depend on the amount of time I need to survive. For a fairly short amount of time, the list would look something like this:

- Container for carrying water, as well as a means of purifying it such as a LifeStraw.
    - High calorie, long lasting foods.
    - Poly tarps.
    - A first aid kit.
    - Hunting knife and fishing pole. (Veganism goes out the window in a survival situation)
    - Magnesium fire starter.

If there is some money left I'd also try to get a decent hatchet.

45. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    First, food and water. Second, a bag with complete survival kit. Lastly, medicine because it is important. These are the things that I think I needed most because these are the basic necessities.

46. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    As for me, it's a phone. If I'm with my phone, I will never feel out of the society. I can connect to people whenever I want, also double my 100 buck with it by doing some business online.

47. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are doing this in a major TEOTWAWKI situation???!!!
    Keith.

48. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

49. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

50. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29