What Would You Do

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by keenonthedaywalker, May 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. keenonthedaywalker

keenonthedaywalker Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Let's say a Virus has killed most of the population on Earth and you managed to survive somehow.
    What would you do? I thought about this when I was watching the last man on earth series (really good series by the way). But before you go and give me depressing answers, just remember you can do what ever you want.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I see I didn't put a question mark at the end of the Title.

3. woodchipper518

woodchipper518 Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    I would use my HAM radio to locate other survivors. If my friends survived, I would appropriate a Texas truck from a dead neighbor, load up and head on over there as his setup is better than mine. Plus we've discussed similar scenarios already and that's the plan.

If my friends are dead, well, we are social animals and we are not meant to be alone. I would immediately start foraging and gathering supplies from dead neighbors. With 1/3 mile of me I have a: Dollar General, liquor store, vet clinic, taxidemist, dentist, family practice, 3 gas stations, several small restaurants/fast foods....so I could spend several days just raiding those places. I'm pretty sure others might show up there so I might camp out, wait for others and evaluate them. Maybe follow them before approaching.

My hope is to find or start a community of survivors then start building to survive and thrive.....get protection-minded, grow crops, barter, setup trading post, etc. I live near a lake so boats & fish are available. I live in a cattle area so livestock will need to be rounded up. There is ample existing farm land to plant. There is even a 4 story concrete block U-Haul type storage facility that makes a good citadel/stronghold for several hundred people. Basically, I'm in a good location....I even have a Holt/Caterpillar dealer < 2 miles away....for some big boy toys....to dig a mote, defensive berms, clear land, etc.

One big problem is dealing with the dead properly. Insects that feed on the dead carry really bad diseases. Worst case, I understand it takes a 4 weeks for a body to decompose and dry out enough to not be dangerous to handle. I'm visualizing teams building funeral pyres....

But I need people.

keenonthedaywalker likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would carry on as usual. We don't live in town or city, so hopefully being isolated would be in our favour. We do not need anything from the outside.
    Good scenario Keenon.
    Keith.

lonewolf and keenonthedaywalker like this.
  5. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Thanks man
    Keith and who ever is reading, you guys should really watch the last man on earth. It is really funny. Also Keith you seem to be really prepared for anything, but would you be prepared for like an airborne virus?

Keith H. likes this.
  6. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    I think i would travel around the country searching for people, but while searching I would have some fun!

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I won't be looking for anyone else.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose it depends on where this airborne virus originates & how far it can travel & remain active. I don't know much about that sort of thing.
    Keith.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    viruses usually need a human host, they cannot survive more than 24 hours outside the human body.
    if a pandemic occurs i'm going into personal and total isolation until the thing has run its course, nobody comes in-nobody goes out until its all over.

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Not all! many use an intermediate host like fleas and mozzies or birds!

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    being the "last man standing" is my ambition, i'd have the time of my life, I don't get bored, its people that piss me off.

12. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Honestly if I was the last person on earth I would go to an amusement park and just have fun since there won't be any lines but at the same time I would be bored .

13. hpro hamed

hpro hamed New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    when you say most of the population it means still someones are reamaning . I try to find other survivors and be with them, and then build or find a community and with being with them I try to make a bigger community after that maybe society and try to get back normal human life to earth again.
    that's how it's works and it should otherwise you can just find human race rarely...

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that would take a long time, not just decades but centuries, you wouldn't live long enough to see it happen.

15. izacuson

izacuson New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    i would honestly move out of the country, or stay indoors as always.