What Would You Stock Up On?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Toast, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you could choose one material to stock-up on, in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, barring food and water, what would it be? There would be a lot of sought after materials, such as toilet paper and other supplies. What do you think you would stock up on? If you stuck up on more than you need in a lifetime, you could also have a surplus and use it to barter/trade for things you do not have.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    One material? One item only? Well I can't say medical supplies then. I will have to say antiseptic or gunpowder or toilet rolls or soap, depending on what is available. If you are getting enough for trade, then I think you have a death wish. Someone will kill you & your's & take everything.
    Keith.

3. joshposh

joshposh Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    I would actually be open to trade. Regardless if you have food, water, or anything else. In a post apocalyptic scenario, people will take from you regardless. I would store up coffee, tobacco, and alcohol. Highly addictive and valuable commodities that you can trade for food, water and anything else you may need. If it's not trading goods, then it be guns and ammunition.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    i'd be more interested in things like nets, fish traps, traps-as in trapping, camo nets.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Edprof

Edprof Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I'd hate to choose only one material to prep with. If I'm facing that choice, I've already waited too long to begin.

I believe that to prep / survive in the long run, I will need to make a good showing in these seven basic areas:

1. Security.
    2. Secure shelter
    3. Replenishable water and food. Just having a storehouse is not enough.
    4. Adequate but basic medical supplies
    5. Money or precious metals or other goods for barter
    6. Energy. Beyond fossil fuel energy, though have some could be of great help in the short to medium run.
    7. Communication

Accordingly, we have built towards those seven areas, trying to keep balance among them. There's an old saying that you can't eat bullets. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be without them either.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    5. Money or precious metals or other goods for barter
    7. Communication

I don't see money or precious metals being of any value after the fall, surely they will be worthless? What use would these have?
    Who would you want to communicate with?
    Keith.