Whats The Most Terrifying Thing You Have Seen In Your Life?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by airfightermax, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    We all have experienced something in our life the we can never forget.

What's the most terrifying thing you have experienced?

2. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Multiple vehicular accident victims. About 20 of them. I'm actually scrapping bits and pieces of one of the victims brain from the stretcher. It was nasty.

3. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I am so sorry you had to go through that. If that was me I would have passed out. I have not seen brain matter yet my whole life and I do not want to see one.

I assume you are a nurse or a doctor? If so kudos to you for doing a wonderful job for us :D

Neiltarquin likes this.
  4. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm a nurse. Hehehe

5. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    An accident victims lying on the floor helplessly. He was bleeding and can't even make a move, although we didn't stop by cos there were already good Samaritans and professionals attending to the victim.
    I couldn't even tell if he was alive or not

6. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    That must have been quite the sight. In cases like this, it is best to leave the situation to the professionals.

Also, you said he wasn't moving anymore and you can't tell if he's still alive? What type of accident was this?

7. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It was a small car and a truck that jammed.
    If not that it's God that gives and take life when ever HE dim fit, from the state of the small car, someone can easily conclude that, there won't be any survivor from the small car.

8. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    The Most terrifying thing I saw is When I travelled to a foreign country and I saw people shffering because of poverty, I mean I saw People without Food, Clothes or anything at all Oh My God, All they had was each other and Hopes to wake up alive :-( It's really sad and I hate to remember Those kids who were starving and Adults Who were helpess without jobs And opportunities Around

9. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This is so sad to hear :( This is the reason why traffic laws should be taken seriously. I hope that poor man is at peace with the Lord now.

Reading things like these is the reason why I get scared for my safety sometimes. You'll never know when you're gonna die..

10. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Exactly my thought also, traffic laws should be taken with seriousness. I can't tell for sure if the poor man is dead or still alive now.
    We just hope for the best always

11. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I was a navy diver for most of my life and I pulled one or two (or closer to 70) ex-humans up. Not very nice when the ligaments start falling apart and skin is like wet cardboard. Wear your safety vests.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't think I can say I have seen anything that actually terrified me, I take most things in my stride.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you I think Lonewolf. I think that the last time I was really scared bad was seeing my Dad pull in the driveway and I knew that I was going to have to tell him that I had broke his chair jumping on it. My Dad was big on facing your fears and if I told him that I was scared of something then as sure as god made little green apples he would make me do it.

You know that people have a fight or flight reflex? Well I've always been to big to fly so I just never try to. I usually jump from startled to pissed off to attack mode. There are things that I don't like. There are a few things that may bother me but even death doesn't scare me and pain is something that I have dealt with until it is mostly meaningless.

I guess the only thing that I truly fear is that I might fail to protect my loved ones or disappoint them.

watcherchris and GS AutoTech like this.
  14. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Nam 67-75

Yard Dart and bleeding heart like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are right. I remember watching a friends big brother coming home with his legs and junk blown off by a bouncing Betty mine and then eating a shotgun barrel about 9 months after he came home. If you were a male kid from a poor to lower middle class family you knew from a very young age that you were prime draft bait and could well be "gifted" with the unwanted privilege of going and fighting and maybe dying or WORSE for the freedom of people that didn't really want it. AND then if you survived you could come home and get spit on for serving your country honorably.

16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Instead of terror, let's talk pain. It is the closing the eyes of your loved ones. It is taking your child off life support. Being wrapt in death and death and death and death and death and death and death

17. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Also, Two girls One Cup is up there. Horrible :eek:

GS AutoTech and bleeding heart like this.
  18. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Terror? No really I seen a kid fly past me and hit his head. took a chunk out. I could see his brain. Died instantly. Another, guy just after he was hit by a car, second car ran over his head. I was there before police had arrived. Head was like 1/2 think. Splattered about. Another, guy with his had ground off. I was first there and locked out the machine. I cleaned the extruder. Looked like chicken. They took his big toe to give him a new thumb. A girl had her arm caught in a machine. Stretched it about 4 inches longer. 2 years later she could use it. Several surgeries to gain use. About 2 months ago. After a police chase. It ended on the highway as I was heading for work. Big truck ran over a small car. Killed instantly. The police shut down the road right after I went through. The cops were just standing and looking at where the driver had been. This guy turned out to be married to the niece of the woman who's arm was stretched years earlier. I video'd as I drove by and put on facebook. Not a gruesome shot mind you but the car and the people staring. I commented dam that guys dead. Then I learned it was her. Once I had the end of my pinkie cut off in a machine. The guy working next to me didn't even know. I looked at him. I just started climbing down and called on radio for my lead man. After we got to the hospital. He called to tell them. They approached the guy who was next to me. He said something about he didn't know anything had happened. LOL. I guess I was supposed to scream and cry like a girl.

What does one cup is up there mean?

19. Its Evan G

Its Evan G Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    When I used to do road work we would sometimes have to direct traffic for major accidents. I think the worst I ever seen was a guy who crashed a motorcycle into the back of a semi. Let's just say it was not a pretty sight..

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Watching my 16 year old daughter drive away the first time was pretty terrifying. Turning loose of them and letting them spread their wings, all you can do is hope that it all works out. You know that you've provided them with the tools that they will need to succeed in life but there are sooooo many potholes and side roads that lead to disaster...

watcherchris likes this.
  21. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Two girls - one cup is a disgusting internet video. I'm not going to describe it.

22. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I've seen many things in my life. It's difficult to describe any time I was terrified.
    One time while driving, a car traveling in the opposite direction at a very very high rate of speed began losing control & entered my lane. I swerved into the shoulder at the same time the other car snapped back across the road, thru the ditch & barrel rolled 7 times into the field. I saw the whole thing in my mirror. It was a convertible Mustang & was instantly aware of the possible fatality. Just as I got fully stopped I was also contemplating just how close I came to instant death, the other driver leaped from the wreckage and started running away. OMG! WOW!.
    Turned out the car was stolen and the man was captured by the responding trooper a mile down the road.

23. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't say that I ever actually remember being terrified, I was too busy trying to stay alive & keeping others alive, but I think the most dangerous events I have been in was Cyclone Tracey in Xmas 1974, & a bush fire I was in sometime after that. I have been attacked by wild dogs, wild cattle, wild boar, Buffalo & people.
    Keith.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  24. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    As Keith said, I've had many times were my pulse rate has been accelerated by circumstances. I've experienced emotional roller coasters when things got hairy. But terror? Not so much.
    My definition of terror falls into the areas of natural fears uncontrolled to the point were you lose your faculties.
    A person who is terrified, frozen in place, highly animated & or hysterical can be dangerous.
    Glad to report... I'm Not that guy.

watcherchris and Keith H. like this.
  25. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I do recall as a child the creeping edges of terror just before my father would arrive home from work. When I knew I was about to have my Ass Whooped for doing something I did wrong. I had full knowledge I did wrong, got caught & was about to pay the price.
    Who said proper discipline don't work? LOL

26. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i cant say I've ever been terrified by anything, I've always been kind of laid back and don't give a damn about other people, even when I had an accident with a chainsaw I just got myself home and patched my leg up, then went back to work and finished the job I was doing so I would be paid!!

Keith H. likes this.
  27. bleeding heart

bleeding heart Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:
    When I was in high school a kid got upset because his girlfriend wouldn't talk to him. He brought a gun to school. We were all standing around outside waiting for the bell to ring. When he pulled it out, the gym coach tried to talk to him. But it didn't do any good. The kid stuck it to his head and pulled the trigger.

Keith H. likes this.
  28. jim brown

jim brown Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Many of men have went to war and seen bad things. I as a fire chief in my little home town for 43 years have seen more than my share. The worst was a family of 4 who perished in a house fire. I had went to high school with the mom. In my 43 years I probably have seen more crap than any man returning from war. It never gets easy and yes i'am still doing it. I suffer from ptsd. I do it for my community and would not change a thing. JR Brown Chief

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You can actually learn to like terrifying things . I retired from a state forestry commisun . My main job was fighting wild forest fires in one of the most wild fire prone counties in the state . The badder and more dangerous the fire the more I liked it . I loved the adrinalin rush . I have had terrified helpers abandon me while I went deeper into the fire zone . I needed to leave that job , I was enjoying it too much .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have posted to this thread before, I have seen bodies & plenty of blood, but I did not find this terrifying. But since I first posted to this thread, my wife has had an accident. She fell in the bathroom & her head hit the shower recess & there was lots of blood. I think that has been the biggest shock of my life! I was literally stunned momentarily & unable to think straight. Had it not been someone close to me I would have been fine, even when it has been me that is injured & bleeding I did not have a problem, but seeing my wife like that was the biggest shock I have ever had! Scared the hell out of me!
    Keith.

TexDanm and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. Kranky

Kranky Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Hurricane evacuation when I was a kid, with my daddy having to stay as city manager. We all wanted him to come with us, keep us safe, quit his job, but he stayed. Some property damage around, but it missed our town. Still scared the daylights out of me, I can't imagine how he felt. The evacuation alone was terrifying for a kid, seemed like millions of cars barely creeping down the highway to get away and thinking you wouldn't get away fast enough. Then later in life working in a hospital and yet another hurricane and it was my turn to stay, while sending my hubby and daughter away. Thankfully it didn't get as close as they thought.

So what do I do, move away from hurricanes in south Texas and now live in Oklahoma. Yeah, I know, I know.. tornadoes. Have lived in Oklahoma a total of 26 years now, have only had to run to a cellar twice. The hurricanes still scared me more. Maybe it was cause I was a kid on that first one, I dunno.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to be terrified of anything, closest would have to be spearfishing and turning around and seeing a huge great white jaws open coming straight at me! Thought I was dead for a second but it turned away literally within inches of me, so close I got fin burn in passing on my shoulder. No idea why it turned away but thankful it did.:D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty much like Keith was saying. All of my greatest fears are around things happening to the ones that I love. My own personal greatest fear is that I somehow fail those that I love in some way that I shouldn't have.

I don't have many things that I actually fear and the few things that I do fear I have forced myself to face until I sort of got past it. I am not fond of heights but have volunteered for work that had me walking around on 2" wide boards working on a three story house or hanging from a long rope ladder dropping into a 100' tall silo in a rice drier.

I thing to most scared that I have ever been was one night when I was surf fighting alone and had a shark hit me in the back. His body hit me in the butt and his dorsal fin hit me in the back. I was in waste deep water and had just cast and was backing back to the beach. The moon was full and when it bumped me I twisted and got an up close and personal eye to eye look at about 8' of shark. Evidently he was about as pleased about this as I was because he slapped me in the but with his tail as he headed out to sea almost as fast as I headed for dry land. That was pretty much the end of fishing for that night for me but I was back at it a month later on the next full moon.

I've been shot at three times but in all cases it mostly made me mad. I've been outnumbered and jumped by a gang of guys but that just made me mad...When I look back most things that should have scared the hell of of me mostly pissed me off.

When I was a kid my Dad just didn't have any patience with me being afraid. I was the only boy in my area that didn't have a big brother. That made me an easy target for the older bullies. My Dad would whip me for coming home crying about it. He told me that when I got tired of being afraid and getting beat up that I would put an end to it and that crying just made them do it more.

He was right. When I was 9 there was a 15 year old that was beating on me all the time. I got enough of it. Be was a lot bigger than me. He was stronger and faster than me and for sure a better fighter than me. He turned his back on me and I took him down with a golf club and beat the crud out of him. I chased him home and then offered to whup his Dad too. His dad laughed himself sick and called my dad and told him that his little game cock had him trapped in the house threatening to kick his butt. My dad came and got me. NOBODY ever picked on me again and they left my friends alone too.

I think that after that I just sort of turned my fears into anger. Fear is a great motivator as long as you use it to move you on rather than hold you back or paralyze you.

34. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had forgotten all about the shark until now, Tex's post reminded me. I had a shark circling me one time when I was swimming at night. I was only a young bloke, early teens I think. The worst part was when the shark went under water out of sight! I dived down to see if I could see it, I couldn't see it so I slowly made my way to shore. Boy was I glad to be back on land again!
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Training, Training, Training...if you prefer...discipline and of course experience.

Like many here..I do not frighten easily to the point of locking up as often described in the deer caught in the headlights.

Often in a very dangerous or hazardous situation...locking up in terror and fear is one of the worst things you can do.

Many years ago..when cutting down a tree from up in it with my tree climbing spurs and belt...as I cut the tree...it began to fall and roll towards me in the fall...not just fall straight over and down but roll towards me and down.

I knew enough to realize not to panic and quickly cut off the saw...drop it on the rope...and shuffle with my spikes and belt to the side of the tree opposite of the roll and fall. I just made it. Talk about being committed. I knew enough not to panic up there.....there was no where else to go..I was committed.

Also ...many years ago..on a trip to Hawaii...on the big island...as a teen I put on flippers and a mask..and tried to swim out far from shore...just to see how far out I could get.

Suddenly I was drawn sideways...parallel to the shore and realized that if I did not get back..I would be drawn out to sea.

I foolishly began swimming back the way I came but realized it was useless...and very tiring. It quickly occurred to me to swim with the current and then turn in slowly towards shore. This did it and I was back on land....but significantly down stream from whence I went into the water.
    I never forgot that lesson...also never tried it again as well. I knew somehow not to panic...and reasoned out to go with the current and slowly turn into shore.

Panic and terror are difficult not to give into them...but experience in doing dangerous and or hazardous work/labors ...teaches you not to let panic and fear/terror overtake you.

This is one of the main reasons for thinking...logic...reason...even muscle memory training...reflex...instinct training....all of them are skills....disciplines.

However....there was a night when I did something really really stupid....really dumb...

I was speeding along a back farm road outside in the country in my first car...many many years ago. A country road....way outside of the city ..farm fields on both sides.

As I turned a bend in the road...there it was right in front of me and closing very fast....a deer in my headlights.
    Doing over 60 MPH there was less than no time. I stood on the brakes as the deer grew in my windshield.

I shut my eyes as I closed into the deer.............................no choice.....no way out!!!!

But nothing happened....I couldn't believe it as the car screeched to a stop.!!! I had to have missed the deer by inches..
    You know my heart was thumping out of control.

I drove slowly, respectfully, and carefully away from that place and never tried that since. Lessons learned....almost the hard way.

Now that was a frightening moment....and very very very stupid of me!!!

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelte

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had something like your deer happen to me. I was on a big motorcycle riding hard in a curve when it turned into gravel. Then a ginormus armadillo stepped out wanting to meet Jesus. I was trying to line up on the runners on this one way country wooden bridge. I had no choice but to put it down and bail. I knew that I didn't want to go down with that monster on top of me and I wanted away from the hot pipes and spinning wheels. We slid on the gravel for a while then onto that wet wooden bridge. When we stopped Other than having a couple of pounds of gravel in my arms and a few scratches on the bike I came out unscathed. But there for a second I though I was a goner. I laid there on that wooden bridge looking up at the stars and laughed my silly butt off. Then I picked up my bile rode it 25 miles home, cleaned it up then got my Dad to drive e to the hospital to get the gravel and splinters dug out of my hide and sewed up.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    You know Texdanm...I have no idea how big armadillos can get as they are not native here and It has been many many years since a an elementary school youngster I lived at Randolph AFB in San Antonio.

I have seen them splattered on the roads in South Carolina...on a trip to Georgia...but most of them werer not that big...some 15 to 20 inches in the body.
    That one must have been a grand daddy or great grand daddy!!!

The armadillos reminded me the raccoons we see around here. It seems that the raccoons come out from everywhere at a certain time of the season...mating season ..I think...and get run over crossing the roads.

The Armadillos I saw in South Carolina reminded me of this same kind of thing....all over the roads.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The armadillo body is about 2 feet long plus some tail and they are about a foot tall. In a car they 1are just a big bump in the road. If you are on a bike side sliding around a corner it is like hitting a 4" x4" piece of lumber. Even a straight on hit is pretty rough on a bike. I was playing a fool that night. I was riding a full dressed 750 road bike like it was a dirt bike. I had the suspension set too soft for that kind of stupidity. If you use the wrong tool for the job it will turn on you and bite you in the butt.

We have tons of Armadillos here. They are like mini hogs and will root your garden up and tear things all to pieces. Cars, trucks and guns in the hands of pissed off gardeners are about their only real downfall. Most predatory critters have no luck taking one down. When cornered they will roll up like a pill bug and offer you nothing but armor to bite on. Usually they will run and dive into a burrow and bow up in there. Then all you have is an armored butt stuck tight in the hole and no way to pull them out. We used to chase and catch them when I was a kid. once they got wedged in a hole you weren't going to move them. In a rush they can dig a hole big enough to get in faster than you could ever imagine. They are digging machines. They are all defense. I have never known anyone to get bit by one. They have big claws but even those mostly just scratch you a little and not claw you all up.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  39. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I think that the most terrifying thing that I had seen and experienced in my life is when my uncle was shot dead by a gun by an unidentified man in front of my grandparents house during a Christmas Eve party we had at that time when I was in high school. All members of the whole family was there and that night turned to be so tragic that all of us was crying and very scared. It was a very bad memory we will cherish in our lifetime.