What's The One Thing You Absolutely Can't Have In Case Of An Emergency?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by OursIsTheFury, May 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Imagine there's a storm, earthquake, fire, etc; what item must be with you at all times to ensure you are able to survive? For me, it's gotta be my mobile phone. Phones nowadays have insane battery lives, some even up to 30 days for one full charge. I think that communication is the key to surviving as it lets other people know your exact location, as well as being able to have a sufficient source of light and sound.

What about you guys?

The Innkeeper and GREGORY Brooks like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What's The One Thing You Absolutely Can't Have In Case Of An Emergency? "Can't Have" or Can't Be Without? I suggest you edit the title.
    Keith.

Radar and The Innkeeper like this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the one thing I am never without is my lock knife, it goes everywhere with me.

wally and The Innkeeper like this.
  4. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I’m never without my knife.

Cell phone won’t work with no power or if cell towers aren’t in range or knocked out.

The Innkeeper and lonewolf like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Like what others have said, I always keep a knife on me. When I was a little boy, 6 or 7 yrs old and from there on out, I always kept a knife and a cigarette lighter on me. I remember having chemical burns on the front of my leg from the lighter fluid leaking, the naphtha. Lately I carry a custom folding knife, fits my hand perfectly. I paid too much for it, yet like I just said, it is as if it were designed especially for my hand.

Next circle: paracord, hurricane matches, knife.

Next circle: my SUV large tool box; lots of tools, plus on and on, I'm too tired to begin listing such. I have a little pantry of canned goods at my work office.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I always have a knife; that is just a given. I also always have a flashlight (Actually 2) and a lighter. Then there is my multi tool. If I have on pants these items are given I not only never leave home without them, I don't go outside without them. There is also a little ferro rod on my key ring, a p-38 can opener and a small medicine vial.

If I was limited to one thing it would probably be my Victorinox Trekker. This is a pretty large knife worn in a pouch on the belt. The knife blade locks open and it is very sharp and good for most quick light chores.
    dfe982da817d94505c435c03a4d2451c.jpeg

The one thing that I can't and won't have is a lazy whiny person expecting me to provide for them.

7. perkin steel

perkin steel Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A calm mind is also a must have.

9. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    to have my wits about me .

10. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    In line with everyone else, it has to be my Swiss Army ‘Hunter’.

The Innkeeper and GREGORY Brooks like this.
  11. GREGORY Brooks

GREGORY Brooks New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi, my name is Greg, I don't plan on Surviving in the woods, I'm going to stay in the home and also fight in place. I agree with the iPhone or Android. I have a survival radio that will charge my Android and my wife's phone as well. I'm a ham radio operator, General class, and have it working off battery power when I need it. It would be good to find out what's happening in the United States using this venue. That was a good article sir, thanks for sharing, Greg

12. RICH-FL

RICH-FL Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    Every Day Carry EDC - Legal fixed blade knife, BIC lighter, LED small light, and my cell phone.

I do not carry a lot that is heavy items that are uncomfortable to carry. When something becomes uncomfortable you find reasons to leave it behind.

13. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The one thing I can't be without........a safe place to "HIDE".

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I go with IBME. Safe place to hide. I am always armed and carry a knife and lighter on me. I am no longer fleet of foot (actually never was) so a good place to hide is very important.

15. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess great minds think alike. I too always have a knife. The brand may very from time to time, but mostly it is an Uncle Henry three bladed folder. I also always carry a Zippo lighter, Chapstick, and a handkerchief. As TexDanm said if I have pants on these things are in the pockets. Very well stated.

Yes, Old Geezer, I have the burns on my thigh from when the fluid soaked through my pants. The new Zippos are not nearly as good as the old ones. I think I got my first sometime in the late 60's. I have found that wrapping the lighter inside my handkerchief for a day or so usually solves the problem. Of course the problem could be eliminated if I were more careful filling it, or more accurately, not overfilling it. DUH!! I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

16. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have the identical knife the TexDanm shows in his post, and that is what I would want to have with me.

Incidentally, that model is sold as 'Forester' in the UK :)

17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Knowledge, positive mental attitude, the ability to form a suitable plan of action and good situational awareness will see you through most short term situations.

The environment that you're trying to survive in should dictate what your must have item should be. Different environments and situations require different tools.

"Your brains, your body and the clothes on your back" are all you really need but having a Swiss Army Knife gives me a head start. These days I also carry a small tobacco pouch containing flint and steel wrapped in char cloth.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    To answer the question as it was actually asked; The one thing that you absolutely can't have in case of an emergency is INDECISION or INDECISIVENESS. You just don't have time for it. You need to make a decision and MOVE on it without second guessing yourself. The difference between action and reaction can all to often be the difference between life and death.

19. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I’m guessing you meant can’t do without. I am never without a knife, a cotton bandanna, a compass, a paracord bracelet (or hank of cord), a ferro rod and a cap or hat. In winter add gloves or mitts and a toque. The list grows from there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Keith H. and Morgan101 like this.
  20. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been there more than once & I totally agree.
    Keith.

21. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Panic. That will surely get you and your family killed.

Radar and The Innkeeper like this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The biggest advantage that a prepper has is that they have thought about what they would do in different situations. that FORETHOUGHT frees them from having to make as many decisions while under stress. That leads to acting fast and leading the pack out of trouble rather than being mired up in the pack. Hesitate and all may be lost...

23. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Ours,

Re: "...fire, etc"

TexDanM already posted my answer: "Indecision - Indecisiveness" "Don't have time...".

Communications is NOT the key to surviving.

One example re fire, etc: If you're on a crash-landed narrow body civil airliner, you've got 100 seconds to evacuate the aircraft. Phones are not on the list. The smoke is thick and less dangerous than the poison gases present.

Radar, The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. Overwatch

Overwatch Expert Member
      185/230

Blog Posts:
    Hmm in all those the cell towers are likely down or soon will be. In a disaster if the lines are open the cell network is overcome.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Overwatch

Overwatch Expert Member
      185/230

Blog Posts:
    Please give me an original leatherman knife.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. mylijoy

mylijoy New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    As someone mentioned above - 'a calm mind'. No knife or gun will save you during emergency if you are an idiot. :)

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and Rebecca like this.
  27. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Glad to have you on board mylijoy . I agree cold and calm during a crises is the key to survival . That is why I do not buy into the gun enthusiast spray and pray strategy . Each time I pull a trigger I expect something consequential to happen . On night patrol on our retreat the weapon of choice is shotguns . I once had to take my dad to the hospital with a cut throat . His head was about one quarter cut off . That is when I learned about juggler vein placement in the neck . He lived .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are several types of calm mind. The first is the fool that had a false idea that based on almost nothing that he or she is somehow special and so will survive just cause... The Second find is the sort that has piled up so many things that they think that their things will make then safe and untouchable. The Third kind is the one that has knowledge gather through study and practical experience and real knowledge. A part of that knowledge has to do with knowing the risks and accepting that no matter what all that they can do is their best. THAT is reality and survival is about reality. Overconfidence is just a form of ignorance. True calm comes from knowledge and acceptance. The fool is calm because he or she denies the risks. It is all a little like real bravery. The truly brave fear but then accepting that fear they do what needs to be done anyway.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    cell phone and a good knife....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Overwatch

Overwatch Expert Member
      185/230

Blog Posts:
    Id rather have a magnesium and strike instead of a phone. Im not looking for anyone, dont need help.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Good health and a head start.

32. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It's either my Teddy Bear or hurricane matches.

I thought about the hurricane matches because day before yesterday, these long-burning matches helped me melt some small rope ends. Sectioning rope near my 4x4.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    and don't expect any help to come from outside of your area or region.
    in most major events help from outside is a long time getting there, usually days but sometimes weeks in the case of flooding and landslides.
    that's why any prepper needs to be self reliant and self sustaining.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

AND ....

...and some areas are already "written off". Only pro forma help will arrive "later".

American Red Cross specializes in this with their highly-visible vehicles driving around disaster scenes not doing much other than the theatrics for the media.

Well prepared and sustainable is the rule. Otherwise dial 9-1-1 and medicate with a whiskey.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes indeed.
    I don't think British politicians know where "the south west of England" is unless its an election year.

TMT Tactical likes this.