What's your best weapon to use?

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by ProNine, Jul 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    i never cared much what people thought about me. I've got long hair and a beard, neither have been cut since my mothers funeral in 1985!!!

Grumpy Max likes this.
    1. lilian
      if you have never been cut ..i am here requesting you to allow me to cut you.When cutting i will use karambit knife

lilian, Nov 4, 2018
  2. Grumpy Max

Grumpy Max Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I’d have long hair but I took after uncle & lost most of it in my 30’s, now I’m just an old skinhead.

3. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    well we've both saved a fortune in haircuts just in different ways!!

Grumpy Max likes this.
  4. Grumpy Max

Grumpy Max Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    And I trim my hair so no hairdresser costs.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I just have never liked getting my hair cut. When I was a kid EVERY other Saturday my Dad took me and we spent the entire morning sitting in a barber shop waiting in line to get our hair cut. I wanted to go fishing or hunting but oh no we HAD to get our hair cut.

My Dad had lots of things that he was very particular about. We went to church every Sunday. Then we had to get haircuts every other Saturday and mow every other week. The car had to be washed, the oil changed and the garden worked on and then we went to the farm several times a month. He worked 10 to 12 hours a day and Monday through Friday and then one Saturday a month for inventory. He just never had much time for just fun stuff.

I hate haircuts and mowing and don't do a lot of either.

Grumpy Max likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    My wife cuts what few hair strands I have atop my head. I'm so bald that NASA calls me and tells me to put on a hat because the glare off my head is blinding satellites.

At the Little Big Horn, General George Armstrong Custer's survival skills went missing ... which played a big part in his scalp going missing.

Grumpy Max likes this.
  7. watcherchris

watcherchris Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Hair cutting has never been a big deal for me...or a stress point.

Fitting in the time is the problem with me ...

Between the shift I am working and what I take care of around here and at times at my mothers place....time is the issue.

I don't mind at all that lovely young woman running her fingers through my hair....and tip accordingly.

LOL LOL LOL!!

And Yeah.....Oldee Geezer...I'm catching up to you...I am working on a nice bald spot on the top of my pate.

It is the dentist as the place I do not like to go.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

8. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've got a female dentist so no worries there!!:p

9. gladys mwihaki

gladys mwihaki Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    hello for me i guess most people have a feeling that guns are the right weapons to have but i strongly feel that a there are other types of weapons that we should consider giving a try such as krambit knives and spydeco knives or even quality machetes or swords...i would also recommend you to try pure fighting knives
    Hoping i have done this the right way incase you find it offensive please communicate back and i will have changes done immediately thank-you/

10. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    You don't want to ever be in a knife fight. The screaming, the gurgling, and the smells ... no thank you.

Put a bit of lead through the enemy's head; I'm fine with that, wipe my boots upon his mat. Time now for a snack, back to my shack, let's take the diesel, pop goes the weasel.

Half a pound of tuppenny rice,
    Half a pound of treacle.
    That's the way the money goes,
    Pop! goes the weasel.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  11. watcherchris

247/345

Blog Posts:

A Gun reduces the amount of pure labor and closeness at which a lot of things happen or occur. They are very efficient at reducing risk if properly used. Not just with game hunting but for defense as well.

I like knives ..very much...but they are close in tools. Also a good knife is a very valuable tool and at tool for which to be taken care in properly preserving.

Too many people I know for whom a knife is one of the most abused tool out there next to a screw driver.

I don't bring my good knives to work with me ..I bring a knife for which I can afford to lose or get damaged. To many people there have no respect for a good knife or any tool. I don't like high maintenance people like that. My knives..even the cheap ones I bring to work are valuable tools to me...just like my lock pick set.

In my both car and my truck...my BOB has attached to it a Cold Steel Gladius/Machette. It has been there for years along with a camp axe. The van has a tomahawk with a hammer on one end of it....with the daily BOB.

I can appreciate a fine tool...edged or otherwise.

It is of historic interest to me that many weapons originated as daily tools used by ordinary people. They were simply a natural extension of their daily training/work.

The Oriental Nunchuku..or the staff..the bo... etc. The spear is a extension of the simple staff.

But most of this kind of fighting or combat took place more or less at arms reach...eye to eye if you like.

Firearms made this kind of thing more efficient.

If anything the blade was once again adapted to the firearm in the form of a bayonet.
    My military type rifles...I try to get the bayonet for them to maintain the historical accuracy of them...but I do not try to shoot them with bayonet. A bayonet makes the barrel end significantly heavy...on many rifles.

I am looking to get a 1907 British bayonet for my Ishapore Enfield rifle in .308 caliber to complete it historically.
    This is a naturally heavy full battle rifle when loaded with ammunition. Even heavier with a bayonet.
    But it will be more historically accurate.

I find this kind of history very very interesting as to the development of certain tools into weapons...and how it differed in certain cultures ...parts of the world.

Oh...and Olde Geezer is correct...knives and such are messy messy business. Very nasty. I don't care what people like to boast about firearms...knives and edged tools are very very messy. The stuff of nightmares.

I've seen people bleeding out from bad injuries...very very messy if it cannot be stopped. Edged tools the same or worse.

Oh...and no you did not give any offense here...to me. I found your position interesting.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

12. gladys mwihaki

gladys mwihaki Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    wow this was nice after going through various gun laws by ste in variou google platforma nd wiki i realised that guns are the most efficent weapons that will help you to offer your self all the self defence you ever wished to have

due to this reason i managed to come across website that offered various self defence guns i have listed all the links here it is also very imortant to note that iam not the owner of the website i just thought sharing the information is a grete idea thankyou for reading this post.

Best Rifle For Long Range Target Shooting

Remington 700 hunter

comes with a very efficient trigger that enables you to very sound shooting or hunting decisions

Best Civilian Assault Rifle

Remington 700

Remington 700 managed to feature in our list of Best rifle for long range target shooting as it comes with a very efficient trigger that enables you to very sound shooting or hunting decisions.it is also in better position of

NB:i found these two guns to be very efficient

13. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    If you are "bugging out" then you need to think of the weight of the ammo, how much can you carry? A .22 would be a better option if you have to carry a modern firearm. A 12 gauge shotgun is a better gun for defence at home or in the field. You would have a hard job missing your target with a load of buckshot. But again, the ammo is heavy & once the ammo is gone, you are left with a goat stake or a club! I have modern guns for use at home, but if I could only carry one long gun when bugging out, it wouldn't be a modern breech-loader.
    Keith.

14. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The most mass produced gun is the ak 47 second i belive is the sks made by many countries shipped everywhere 3rd id say now is 12gauge shotgun in many forms these 3 are world wide and ammo is everywhere

15. AntonyRaison

AntonyRaison Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    For me would be a knife,
    I carry one daily, use them all the time in the field... guns run out of ammo.. but a knife always has a stabby bit at the end, and in close quater combat a knife is generally more dangerous than a firearm.

16. watcherchris

247/345

Blog Posts:
    I have one of each....but like the SKS best. For home defense the 12 gauge wins hands down.

I like a good .22 long rifle but have two pump guns which shoot longs and shorts in addition to Long rifles. There have been times in this city when a .22 Short has come in handy to dispatch the local wildlife I've caught in traps without alarming the whole neighborhood.
    I know how to fabricate my own silencer if needed but the .22 short suffices for most uses around here.

This I have found to be one of the most dependable and accurate .22 long rifle pistols I have ever seen out of the box.

The one I own is the Ruger Government Mk II target with bull barrel at some 5.5 to 6 inches long.

here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II

But other than my slide/pump .22 long rifles, I prefer bolt actions...the simpler the better.

The AK 47 I don't have much use for it..and prefer the SKS. With 30 round magazines I find the AK 47 a bit awkward and prefer to load them with 20 rnd magazines. For this reason too..I prefer the SKS...10 rounds is more than sufficient in most applications.

Again...for accuracy I prefer a bolt action in .308. Ammo is not a problem as I roll my own in this caliber and can even roll...7.62 x 39mm ammo...having put back sufficient brass for it though the com block ammo is very available around here.

I have found that I like the Mossberg patrol rifle as a short barreled bolt action in .308...with magazine feed. It has iron sights but also glass upon it. I use 10 round magazines in it....from Tapco.

This is a light quick bolt action of the Scout rifle design.

Outside of that very accurate .22 pistol...I prefer wheel guns...it is my way. I can roll my own ammo for these as well.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I will say that if I could only have one gun it would probably be a well tricked out Ruger 10-22. I can kill anything on the North American continent with it. Ammo is light and plentiful and with the extended magazines I can lay out a cloud of accurately directed lead. It might not be as powerful as a bigger rifle or shotgun but it will do a lot of things real well out to 100 yards. I can hit way farther out than 100 yards but the 22lr loses a lot after that first hundred.

I don't want to be dependent on guns for hunting so I wouldn't miss a 30 cal rifle. Shotguns are just such a waste for hunting. In a world where ammo is priceless a shell for a bird or small game. We don't have bears, moose or elk here but even if we did a 10-22 can drop anything if you just hit specific areas and hit it a lot.

If I lived in an urban area I might want something with a little more power and if I lived out in a more open place I might want a rifle with more reach.

18. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    I must admit that I have this illogical, almost irrational, attraction to the .22 magnum. Intellectually I would answer otherwise. Maybe my subconscious sees the out-of-proportion efficiency of the little round. Over the decades, I've owned all manner of firearm configurations chambered for this round: revolver, lever-action, pump, bolt, semi-auto. I like that a box of 50 rounds is so small. A shaving kit will hold over 500 rnds. A feeding device is made for reloading rimfire tube magazines; .22 LR or mag, also comes in short loader or longer for the full-sized tubes.

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/3/34460_ts.jpg

On a Rossi pump, one can hold the trigger and pump the rifle to dump the entire magazine into whatever.

The .22 mag out of a rifle has the energy of a 9mm handgun ... but with a 40 gr bullet. Thus the bullet comes apart violently and dumps its energy into the animal. Don't shoot small game with this number -- I've turned a rabbit inside-out, bowels out its shoulder, almost ripped it into halves. Still somehow it will get in deep enough on larger critters ... go figure(?). Across mountain pastures, it is flat-shooting enough to pass for a varmint rifle (west of the Mississippi, not so much).

On humans, its bullet is too light ... or is it?! Massad Ayoob considered the .22 mag. "nasty" or some adjective like that. He put its effectiveness next to the .38 special. I know that a .22 mag Freedom Arms revolver with a 1.5" barrel will blow a nasty hole right through a pressure-treated 2" x 4". But, oh dear lord, is that ever loud! And you have to put some after-market larger grips on such a tiny revolver. I read a case where a woman put such a revolver up to a rapist's chest and killed him instantly.

As to iffy accuracy, I don't know; I mean I've never had accuracy problems with any of my .22 mag weapons. I put a laser on a .22 mag unit for the wifer and she can put that light on something, bam bam bam bam bam and radically tear it apart.

========================================
    Back to rational thought ...

The .357 mag combo, lever rifle plus revolver and several speed loaders, makes for a bug-out duo with plenty of killing power. The .357 mag, especially out of a carbine, has enough power to go right through the side of vehicles. The .357 out a carbine has precious little recoil, so that should your female companion need to do the deed, no problem, no flinch. And you can shoot .38 Specials in these for those times you want to preserve meat. Too, shooting .38 ammo is a whole lot less loud. Full wadcutters cause turbo-bleeding.

Out of a rifle, the .357 really comes into its own power-wise -- look at all of those hunters using them from tree stands during deer season. Eastern whitetail deer can be dropped where they stand with a WHOLE LOT LESS POWER than a 30-06 delivers. If a 30-06 bullet should happen to expand inside a deer, then Mr. Deer gets splattered and meat WILL be ruined. Friend of mine blew the far foreleg and shoulder off a deer when using a full sized 30 cal round.

A 9mm carbine plus handgun(s) is also a winning combo for bugging out. Out of a carbine, the 9mm achieves .357 mag handgun energy levels. Watch out, 9mm +P+ ammo can cause jamming in blow-back carbines! The 9mm out a carbine feels like you are only shooting a .22 rimfire. And the 9mm carbine is a fun plinker. Plinking is practice for when it actually does hit the fan, don't'cha'know.

19. watcherchris

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer,

You have me chuckling to myself here with this....

I own two Rossi .22 long rifle pumps. One a full length pump rifle and the other the shorter carbine. Both will "Slam Fire " by holding the trigger down and just pumping them. They were made with this feature.

However this is not recommended ..for any accuracy....but I do like my slide guns...and these guns will handle Long Rifles, Longs, and shorts too.

I also like a .22 long rifle in a bolt action or a single shot.

Can't say I have ever owned a .22 Magnum.

I also have an Ithaca Model 37 in 12 gauge which will also "Slam Fire" by holding down the trigger and then just continuing to pump until empty.
    I don't think the new ones coming off the manufacturing line have this feature. They seem want to get rid of it.

I definitely do not recommend this in a 12 gauge tool. It becomes extremely difficult to control....and the recoil is a terror in a Model 37 Ithaca Featherweight. This Ithaca is a good shotgun for the monies spent...

Thanks for reminding me.

Watcherchris