What's your worst-case-scenario survival climate?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by DrasticLee, May 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DrasticLee

DrasticLee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    If you were hypothetically stranded somewhere away from civilization, what type of climate would you think is the worst for you to have to survive in and how would you handle it?

Using myself as an example, I have a very difficult time with hot and dry climates. My worst-case-scenario would definitely be any kind of desert. The heat just just makes my skin feel puffy and sticky and I feel like I'm exhausted and dizzy even if I'm doing nothing. If I had to survive in a desert setting, It would definitely be a nightmare for me. What about you?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    For me, it'd be extreme hot or cold... but I'm leaning more towards cold. In an avalanche, I'd be finished. Even if I managed to dig myself out of the snow or find some shelter, my chances of survival are limited. The cold does horrendous things to my body, like causing stiffness in my joints and lethargy. Staying outside for longer than 30 minutes will vitiate me completely.

So, yeah, as much as I love skiing and making snow angels, I stay away from places that generally are cold and get tons of snow to make sure I'm never in that situation. Unless an Ice Age happens, haha.

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    For me I think it would be extreme heat, I'm fair skinned and I have problems being in the sun even in the UK so if I was stuck in a desert somewhere I'd be in trouble. I've always thought that in the case of temperature it is easier to find a way to get warmer if you're cold than it is to find a way to cool you down if you're too hot.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It would have to be extreme heat for me. If it's really cold you can always build a fire and where I live wood is abundant and I'm use to cold winters. But, heat... I'm not good with heat!

5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have experienced the worst case scenario and it's a hard choice between hot/dry and cold. When it comes to extremely cold, there's really no way to prepare, unless you have the right equipment. Being in the extreme cold is definitely my worst case scenario. Shelter can only protect you from the elements so much. If you are well equipped, the cold climate won't be so bad, but if you're poorly equipped, it's going to be a nightmare. Being poorly equipped in extreme cold weather leaves you hoping that you can make it through the night in order to get to shelter the next day.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think desert or tropics. I have worked in the desert, & I lived in the tropics for 10 years. I dislike the heat & the mossies in the tropics. Now we live in New England NSW where it is not too hot & not too cold in winter. But I love winter. Easy to keep one's self warm, not so easy to keep cool.
    Unfortunately with climate change will come warmer weather, we are already experiencing the change here. With the warmer weather comes more mossies & more disease. Wildlife that at present only exists in the tropical North will now start moving South. This will include more snakes & the Cane Toad!!! Warmer waters will attract more sharks, & the crocs, but if one is careful these can be food.
    Keith.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The desert life is hard there

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    cold climates.

9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I live in the tropics and am currently living in one of the colder areas of the tropics. I can bet that cold climates are more daunting than hot climates. My worst case scenario type of climate is the one prevalent in Antarctica where freezing temperatures and frost bite are frequent. Another danger is walking on ice only to sink into an abyss of water beneath the ice. The landscape here is very treacherous indeed.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my thinking exactly.

11. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My worst case scenario climate is cold. I can handle heat as long as I have water. But my body does not handle the cold. I literally shut down.

12. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have two worst climates for me: 1) any where snakes are numerous and 2) the hot, dry dessert. Nope. Neither of these would be scenarios in which I would be good.

13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    For me the worst case scenario climate would be in the cold, especially in regions, such as Alaska, Northern Canada and Antartica.
    I can hardly move in the cold. I hate walking in the cold and freezing. It would be terrifying for me to have to handle the cold.
    I can handle the heat as long as I have enough water as well and have knowledge about being in the desert. I have lived in tropical places before.
    In the UAE, for example, in the summer you experience very hot days but cold nights, which is manageable.
    Now being in a complete hot place, I would probably not have the cold nights but I would know how to deal with it and I think that matters most.
    If you know how to deal with the climate you are in you will be okay but if you are unable to then you will be lost...

14. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Snow and cold require too much work and preparation to me. You have to seek extra warmth, shelter, etc. Plus, everything out in the elements with you has less food and is more desperate because of the temperature. That means that thefts, attacks, and the like would be more common as well. Perhaps that may not be the case, but more people freeze to death that roast to death in the heat.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I come from a tropical country so it is understandable that ice and snow is alien to me. In fact, I had seen real snow only last year when we went to Beijing, China. There were some snow piles in the Great Wall and it was fun for taking a selfie. But regarding the cold, it was freezing cold at zero degrees and probably even less than zero. And when the wind blows, I feel like freezing. If I would be left in the so called Siberian tundra which is covered by thick ice and snow, that's a sure fire formula to kill me with hypothermia.

16. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    The next ice age will be the great test for man kind. All the things that we love to do outdoors will be gone and the way we gather food will change also. Economy will change, tourism, and traveling. Life that we know it today will be gone and the only thing we will be worrying about is how cold will it be tonight and will we ever get warm again.