When It Comes To A Teotwawki Vehicle...

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Michael Anderson, Apr 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to a TEOTWAWKI vehicle...I picked up a 1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief, with surviving an EMP in mind. Any thought on if there is anything I should purchase for or add to this vehicle, which runs great by the way.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was reading just the other day this bloke's recommendation that you keep everything bog standard, so that should you need parts, you can always rob another of the same type vehicle. Makes sense to me. Also I am not a rich man, & my 4WDs are mostly work vehicles. I can't afford to mess with a vehicle so much that it is no longer functional in the purpose it was intended for. So I tread carefully.
    I lived in the Australian Top End/Territory for 10 years driving a bog standard Toyota Landcruiser SWB 4WD. One thing I learnt from that experience was that driving skill is more important than the vehicle you are driving. It used to get real boggy up there in the wet season, & I had a rule: If the Tojo got bogged I used the Suziki, if the Suzuki got bogged I used my horse. If the horse got bogged I stayed at home.
    I suggest, if you don't have these already, that you get a high lift jack, we call them wallaby jacks. Also get a hand operated winch, they are far more versatile than a fixed vehicle electric winch. Carry a good medical kit & plenty of spare clean water & a post hole shovel. Also containers of engine oil & a good tool kit.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards, Keith.

LastOutlaw and Michael Anderson like this.
  3. Michael Anderson

3/25

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Good info!

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Michael Anderson

3/25

Blog Posts:
    My main concern is getting through the winter months. It is considered a sub-Arctic region here, and temps have been known to get down to as low as -60F. This past winter we got down to about -40, but had far more snow than the past several winters. Is there anything I could be missing, as far as winterizing the Jeep? I just got new wipers on it and bought a 12VDC defroster on the dash, since Jeep's blower motor is out. Tires are good, winter tires, and I have chains. Any thoughts on vital fluids I should consider?

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well obviously you will need anti-freeze. I don't know how well anti-freeze works in those temperatures. I do know that in the old days we used to hang special heating lamps under the bonnet, & some people even drained the water out each night. Something you may want to consider is getting a small solar panel for keeping the battery charged on days when it is not being used. Not much good if the vehicle is under cover, but they work great when left in the open. We have a 4WD Lada property vehicle, that is it is never used off the property. After I have finished with the vehicle at the end of the day, I disconnect the battery's earth cable & clip on the solar panel. I place the panel on the dash in the windscreen.
    I would get a starting handle for it, but I fear it's days are numbered so I have not bothered, but if you have that option, it may be a good idea to get one.
    Keith.

Michael Anderson likes this.
  6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    First up get that blower motor fixed proper! and get a huge starter battery installed and really good copper leads from battery to starter motor.
    No vehicle is any good if you can't crank it over to start!

Not that I normally go to alpine regions but I always have the ability to boil a kettle, carefully pouring hot water over fuel lines / carbys / injectors etc
    can assist starting in subzero weather!

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Extra points and condencer sets as many as you can store. Plugs and wire set coils extra rims tires as many replacement parts as you can find from lights to door parts and motor parts wAter pumps thermostats generator voltage regulaters gasket kits anything you can get a good shelter for it in those temps one with heat snow plow winch or good comealong filters fuel and air

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not too bothered about vehicles post collapse, filling stations will be empty within 24-48 hours and stores of fuel are finite, once its all gone we'll all be walking, or riding a horse if you can find one.

9. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Most of that stuff will be free for the taking a year or two down the track!
    How much fuel do you have or can reasonably get? 500 mile worth? 5,000 miles worth
    One is most likely to run out of fuel long before an oil change is needed!
    A great big pile of spares just means you have a good condition vehicle sitting idle with no fuel!

lonewolf likes this.
  10. Michael Anderson

3/25

Blog Posts:
    Yep, a good quality mountain bike and a small bike trailer is a good investment too!

lonewolf likes this.
  11. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    First up get that blower motor fixed proper! and get a huge starter battery installed and really good copper leads from battery to starter motor.
    No vehicle is any good if you can't crank it over to start!

Not that I normally go to alpine regions but I always have the ability to boil a kettle, carefully pouring hot water over fuel lines / carbys / injectors etc
    can assist starting in subzero weather!