When The Power Goes Down.

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by lonewolf, Nov 24, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The potential of the power going down is escalating very rapid . Some of the survival plans "and I try to read between the lines to comprehend what they don't want to say " I find dubious . Time may be running out , people need to face this potential calamity and get serious with their prepping . I have said before but will say again one of the most important things a prepper can do is actually inexpensive , " build an old style wood fired smoke house for preserving meat and dehydrating eatable plants " . and practice using it .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Ouch!!!!!!!

Planning to take my scooter to work today..though it is cold outside. Save my gasoline in my car for another day.
    Have three scooters here. Have car, truck , and van too..but often take the scooter.

Watcherhris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is actually down a little from what it was a few years ago isn't it?

What people need to understand is that the price that they pay for fuel is only slightly the cost of the oil. As strange as this is, Texas actually pays more for fuel than most other places. Listen up, we have low fuel prices because the state and federal government doesn't add a ton of taxes to the price. The price of fuel sold intrastate is unregulated and the feds can't tax it.

When it is shipped out of state in becomes interstate commerce. First the feds tell us how much we can sell it for, which is less than we pay for it here, and then they tax the snot out of it. When it gets to your state or country it is then again massively taxed and often again at the county and city levels. In other states I've noticed that even when oil prices have dropped their prices lag far behind us here before they lower the prices.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think about 75% of what we pay for fuel in the UK is taxes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow!!!

Texdanm...

I notice that when I go out of this city ...into other counties the gasoline price is often less expensive and I am want to fill up there on my way back to this city. Thus indicating of what you speak...the price/tax can vary from county to county..etc.

There is a big pipeline coming out the side of a hill...in western Virginia between Charlottesville and Lynchburg on state route 29. Come to find out ..this is a place wherein tractor trailer tankers come to fill up and transport oil produts to various destinations. Gasoline is less expensive the closer you are to the end of this pipeline. I am told it originates somewhere way out west...and this is not the only such pipeline. They are all across this nation.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the price tends to reflect where one is on the delivery schedule, the further out from the city the more you pay, the only exception is the motorway service stations which are always expensive as they have a "captive audience" so to speak.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

LOL LOL LOL...yes..this appears to be the case even here stateside. Around this town I do not buy gasoline in stations close to the motorways..but further afield from them.

Yeah...the concept of captive audiences gets to me...as it is too much like "Herding or being Herded."

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the motorways are a long way away from my rural idyll and I seldom use them and I never buy fuel there.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Here in Australia we pay about $1.40 a litre for 91octane and $1.70 for 98octane petrol.
    Diesel runs at $1.60 a litre
    1 Aus $ equals .70US$

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    last time I looked at the prices petrol was £1.22 per litre and Diesel £1.32, I think TPTB in the UK are trying to phase out diesel cars.
    I generally top up from half full and put in about £20 worth, I don't take much notice of the price, my little 1200cc car is good on fuel and I only refuel about 0nce a week maybe every 10 days or so, I don't go long distances these days and most journeys are a 50 mile round trip or so.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    What happens to a barrel of oil.....what percentages of the barrel are turned into what fuels or oil products.

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/blog/oil-barrel-42-gallon-breakdown/

I found this to be interesting and I believe it has changed over the years.

I think the world wide demand for diesel has altered this chart over the years.

It is a bit odd to me because of two items of which I am aware for which is seldom taught to most of the public or mentioned.

Jet fuel is a type or grade of refined Kerosene and so too is diesel.

The US Navy has for some years now built fast Frigates/destroyers...or sometimes called FFGs....which run on jet fuel...JP5 Jet fuel ..the same as do their jets and prop jet engines. Their main engines are a gas turbine....a jet engine...about the size of a large helicopter engine.

What is also seldom known by the public is that the diesel generators on these types of ships also run on JP5 Jet Kerosene.
    This greatly simplifies their fuel load outs...and or storage on land and out at sea.

The Nimitz class aircraft carriers burn JP 5 jet fuel in their emergency diesel generators..not regular diesel fuel as at the pump here on land. Other types of ships too.

However...these ships when running wide open on a gas turbine can burn some serious fuel stocks/amounts..but they are very very fast ships and s o designed for speed when necessary.

I suspect that ....without going public ..this has significantly increased this nations demand for jet fuel.

What is very interesting to me is the breakdown of a barrel of oil....by percentages.

Second ..What I also know is that motor diesel fuel is not as highly refined as is gasoline. Same with heating fuel.

I also know that gasoline when refined comes out as unleaded...and lead is an additive...lead does not originally come I fuel when it is refined....lead must be added to gasoline in the refinement process. Someone was pulling a huge con job when transitioning to unleaded gasoline and charging more for unleaded gas.
    The fuel used in the olde days of the hand crank started cars...was unleaded fuel. Only later when they tried to go to more powerful engines did they begin manufacturing/adding lead additive in gasoline fuels.

I did not know this years ago about kerosene and the multitude of grades of kerosene out there ..from jet fuel to heating oil..to motor fuel.

I remember being astonished years ago when watching someone pull a U haul truck up to a K1 Kerosene heating fuel pump and fill up the truck. I did not understand that diesel is a grade of kerosene.

But we learn as we get older and are awake to happenings around us.
    And our education continues as long as we live.

Thanks,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The prices of the various products made from a barrel of oil is in part based on the quality of the oil and naturally, supply and demand. As more cars and trucks came out that were powered by diesel the demand rose and so did the prices. In the end one of the big selling points in the US of going diesel was lost as the cost of diesel went up higher than the more refined gasoline.

Just a bit of knowledge in case you don't know it... The high octane gasoline is less flammable than the lower octane. Back when I was running a high compression engine and racing I actually installed a water vapor injector onto my intake to raise the octane of my fuel mixture. Then I went to work for a crop duster and would borrow some 135 octane aviation gas on Friday for race night at the drag strip. Most people assume that high octane means more flammable. The high octane allows you to use it in a high compression engine without having a problem with dieseling effect where the mixture combusts before the spark because of the heat caused by the compression. The old high performance engines ran a 13 to 1 compression ratio or even a little higher where the later lower compression engines that we use now run 9 to 1 or a little less compression ratio. The old super premium gas was in the 115 to 117 octane range.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Texdanm,

I seem to recall that as a young lad...diesel was less expensive than gasoline...but it has been a long time ago.

Seems to me that the function of the octane is to vaporize more efficiently and in more powerful engines. ....not the flammable point or flash point per se.

My Dad used to work on those radial 3000 horsepower aircraft engines...they needed some high octane fuel...though they also had superchargers.

Some of the guys from those days used to tell me they would put one to two gallons of high octane aviation fuel to a full tank of gas when they drove home. Too much and you would burn up your engine..but a couple of gallons ok. But these were standard engines ..not high performance engines.

I too had..still have a water injection system in my 1967 Chevy ..put in for fuel mileage when properly set. It took some doing to get it set right but once it was set...on long distance highway driving it shows in fuel economy. Made the rig myself..from a plastic bottle and aquarium valves.
    But this car does not like unleaded gas.

Wow...I'd forgotten that about my Chevy until reading your post. The Chevy is in my garage. It was my Dad's olde Chevy...

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The avgas was for big radial biplane engines. I would put about 3 to 5 gallons in with my regular gas. My 56 chevy was running almost 15 to 1 compression because I had shaved heads and domed pistons. back then we worked on cars all the time. It was a pretty cheap hobby really. We got nearly all our parts from the junk yards and did all the wrench work ourselves.

It was a different time. We pretty much did everything for ourselves. I learned plumbing, mechanics, electrical stuff, carpentry, roofing, Eventually I went into machine work, gunsmithing and HVAC. We were poor so when it broke we fixed it. If we wanted to add on a room we built it. About the only thing that we paid someone else to do was the Doctor.

Now days boys can't even change a flat tire. THAT is scary to me. Hell I used to take the tire off break it down and fix it myself! LOL, I'm old. back then tires had tubes in them like bicycles.

When the power goes off people are going to be thrown back to a different world. For my dad it would be like the world he grew up in. For me it wouldn't be a really far fall but for the people born after the 1990s it will be the END of the WORLD!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with TexDanm. For us old timers, it will not be too drastic a change. For the youngsters, it is going to be night and day difference and most of them are not going to have the skill set to survive. Life can be a very harsh mistress, once the power goes off.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    once they cant recharge their smartphones and other devices it will be all out panic, they cannot live without these things.
    most people have no concept of living without power, its just so alien to their beliefs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a reason behind the term 'Young and Dumb". They are so far from reality, that when it bites them, they will most likely not survive. Their cell phones won't help, even if they found a method to re-charge, the networks / tower / transfer stations will ll be down. I am willing to bet most of these young folk don't even know where a library is or even how to use one to find information. The Dewey Decimal system would be a complete mystery to them. Little lost sheep just waiting for the slaughter. Mother Nature does not care if they die young.

18. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    one of the first things military's attack is the power structure . I can't imagine anyone thinking there will not be wars in the future . But oddly enough it seems most people think their countries electrical grid will never be attacked . If it was just their personal house hold power lost that would be just an inconvenience mostly due to losing refrigerator and freezer use and for many cooking . That though would be minor with fuel stations down and no more super markets any other store for that matter . For most water would soon be lost .Those that plan to flee to a nicer place probably won't go no father than their fuel tank will take them . On a national power grid loss that fuel tank probably won't get them to that nice place . Those planning to run from their problem may or may not escape an epidemic but not a nation wide power failure . Even if they did reach that nice place I expect it would be flooded with other people with the same plan . That would be the tipping point for the apocalyptic future .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    According to google there is NOW about 800 satellites orbiting over our heads sitting in the right orbit to detonate an E.M.P. attack . Many of these we know of its purpose but many we do not because the launching country is keeping their purpose a military secret . Another somber thought , it doesn't take a highly refined nuke to conduct an E.M.P.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Among survivalists, those making book would be making the odds on how many days until chaos breaks out post electrical grid failure. We're not talking weeks or months now, are we!

Me, I would put the outside at 2 weeks for urban areas. Suburban areas might go 3 weeks ... maybe (?). Suburbs up in NY, NJ, Mass., Connecticut, states like these wouldn't make it over 2 weeks, really. Rural areas could go longer.

Me, I'd not want to be anywhere near an urban area after a single week.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh...............nooooooooooooooooooooo.......................Help me Mr. Wizard........help mmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

22. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now we really don't tell anybody if our Satellites ar armed with a nuke either. I would much rather an EMP war, than a Ground Nuke war.

Urban Locations--- Now I am betting on less the 5 days. All stored water, milks, soda pop, gone in 3 days and withing the next two days the riots will be full speed head.

Rural area--- I am betting on about 4 weeks. They will have more stored water and food but they will also have their share of welfare bunnies, sitting on their azz, waiting for the government to come save them. When it finally dawns on them help is not coming, then they will riot. Special Note: The riots will not last long.

23. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    For those that don't know . A large E.M.P. set off 250 to 312 miles above Kansas would cover all of continental United States . That is one E.M.P.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    without power ALL modern systems would fail, I cant think of a single thing in the modern world that dosent rely on electrical power.
    banks/ATM's rely on electrical power, filling station pumps wont work without power, even hospitals have a limited back up power, automatic doors will stop, shop tills don't have a manual over ride, traffic signals will be down, mobile phone towers will shut down, the internet wont function!! lifts/elevators wont work, so on and so forth. modern life as we know it will grind to a halt without electrical power.
    I think planning to live without mains electrical power is a wise precaution for a prepper.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Except for the radios my bus is EMP proof.
    My inverters are shielded so I will have 240vac50hz power available

Getting a larger inverter so I can power most anything I need, I am also considering a 3phase genny around 15kw, enough to run welders, lathes, grinders etc.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I plan to be much lower key, any electrical or mechanical power will be heard a long way away in a quiet post SHTF world without traffic and airplane noise.
    and light will be seen for miles away even more so at night.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Appears the world has already entered super sonic speed nuclear tipped war head era . There needs to be only one to cripple an entire country destroying the electrical grid for YEARS . I am not aware of any weapon that was developed that was not used since the dawn of man .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, if you are near any community / homes / ranches/ farms, then firing up the generator or turning on your lights, will just paint a big Bullseye on your place. You must either be very isolated (miles and miles away for any inhabitance) or plan to live without electricity.

I agree with your post up to a point. Once we have reached the technological level of M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) I think the weapon development will continue but actual use will not be viable. I see more development on defensive (stop Ballistic Missiles and space based weapons -- yeah I know it is against international law but I doubt that has stopped anybody) and even more lethal localized (ground and air, not space or atomic) warfare. More drone warfare, more lethal firearms, more effective air to air and air to ground missiles. Less wounded, more dead (by percentage of actual fighters) and fewer fighters needed. JM2c

29. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    You keep saying you are isolated yet you worry about noise? are you isolated or not?

Ten kilometres to the next human is enough for sound isolation even gunshots don't travel that far even on still mornings.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @Oldguy

I think lonewolf was referencing a general situation vs. his particular situation. Noise and light can be seen and heard from a fare distance. Inside a missile silo, not much of a problem. Out on the flat prairie, that is going to be a problem. JM2c

31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes was a general comment , light can be seen for 3 miles in daylight much further at night.
    I can hear noise for several miles and that's over the normal noise of today.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    WHEN not IF a solar coronal mass ejection hits the world the EMP effect will be as if by magic in a split second we will all be transported into the past say to about 1870. One of the big problems is that in 1870 most people lived on farms. In a matter of a short period of time the world population will return to less than what it was in 1870.

This is purportedly from a government document.

https://www.mdcreekmore.com/what-would-an-emp-do-prepare/

This site is also a pretty good source of info.

34. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf, good article. It would be nice if all the authorities would agree on the effects and protections from both Solar and Nuclear EMP. I have read many "Expert" opinions upon what the effects would be. There appears to not be an accepted hypothesis on what would survive or not survive. I have read solar panels would survive and other reports that they would not survive. I guess we will have to wait and see.

As for the return to 1870, I doubt that would many will see it. Total dependence on electricity and the inability to even consider the possibility of grid down. The one thing I can agree upon is that the population will be drastically reduced.

35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Solar Panels can and do last 3 decades or more, its the batteries and the things you plug them into that don't, you need a warehouse full of spare parts if you are to keep the thing running. no manufacturing base will be making spare parts post SHTF.
    once the power grid goes down and stays down the vast majority of the population will have no power and will be sitting in the dark, no cooking, no heating, no light. just how long can they survive like that? weeks maybe, not months.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Solar is just a stop gap. The batteries are the real weak link, if the EMP does not get the panels themselves. There will be ton of spare pars to scavenge after the die off but that will not help the batter situation. I don't know the life of a battery that has not been activated but there again a short life once it is activated. There is no system that will last until the grid is functional again. People must plan to live without power for a long time.

37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's the point I think. people who have lived with light, heat and cooking at the flick of a switch will not know how to function when these things are removed.
    its like being transported back to the 18th century pre The Industrial revolution and doing everything by hand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    When the power goes down I wonder where the city dwellers think they are going ? Perhaps if they are fortunate they will have a prepper relative take them in . I would think many would find themselves under a bridge living close to water . Stealing livestock to eat would last just so long . Some may consider killing a rural family to obtain their home and dragging their corpses out back .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    All of the above would be true!
    Rural/country people do not have a monopoly on guns, military experience or cunning.
    The one real advantage city/urban/suburban people have is numbers and if led by the right person they will prevail regardless how ornery any particular country folk are!

A question to any rural preppers here. If your neighbour vanishes and a new group of people inhabit that neighbours place what do you do?
    Do you declare war?
    Maybe you accept them as new neighbours?
    Maybe not?

40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    urban people have to get there first, wherever "there" is, that is not a given.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    A point of curiosity......

Any of you ever heard that there is in existence technology which will stop electricity from flowing down a conductor?? From flowing down a conductor...even a foil strip???

I have. Just curious why so many of you think an EMP will be via a nuclear detonation???

Do you think such technology cannot be put in aircraft.....or on ships....or ships with aircraft??? And also properly aimed???

I have been thinking that certain facets of nuclear weapons and their delivery systems may be obsolete..and no one wants us to know this has happened. Someone wants the world to be thinking in last years weaponry and thinking/strategy....in the last war.

To my limited knowledge this technology has been around since the late 1950s and early 1960s. What must it be like today???

Just some wild, rabid, and rampant thoughts. Something certain Elders told me many many years ago!!

I also asked that question of one of the electronics...submarine sonar technicians who worked for this shipyard...and he stated yes...but no other information was forthcoming.

What are the chances that whatever we have .....the Israelis have?????

Free.... no cover charge...

MY non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:

JM2c.

43. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The technology that you are referring to has the same problem as the nuclear option. We AL have it and none of us have an effective defense from its use. If you use it I will too and we are both totally screwed.

Unfortunately the sun just doesn't have that problem and based on history it is a certainty that sooner or later it is going to do one of several really bad things. It may heat up and that will be REAL global warming. there are signs that indicate that this may already have started. It may cool off and turn the earth into a giant snow ball or it could blast us with an EMP that would send us all back to the stone age.

the powers of the left are trying to ensure that if any of these things happen that humanity won't stand a chance. Our only hope is to get off this planet and settled into a more secure location that we have more control of.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The process of moving to another planet will be interesting. I doubt I will be around to see it but my great grand kids might. The selection process of who gets to go and who will be left behind will create some exciting times. There will be a demand for highly skilled people and those in prime physical shape. The low / no skilled will be left behind. Those with physical limitation will be left behind. Those with mental issues will be left behind. The real question is going to be what the world will look and act like once the exodus begins. Food for thought.

45. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    The sun is the big one it can freeze us or cook us or drown us and we have NO control over it!

And for an EMP to do anything to anything it needs a pathway to earth, no antennas with false earths or no earths in general and an EMP will have no effect.
    An emp is unique in that it effects the whole of anything and not just part of a circuit like most every other magnetic effect.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The logical line of thought is to preserve one's self over destroying someone else . All cultures do not think in what I consider logical thought . In Nam they would kill themselves if they could walk close to an American and set off a grenade killing themselves along with the American . They would send their own child out to blow themselves up knowing Americans didn't like killing children . I guess they figured they could make another kid . They are now facing people with that line of thought with Muslim back ground . Of course not all Muslim's think in such a hate filled suicidal way . U.S. troops are now deployed to fight these crazy people . Pakistan is full of radical hate filled people and they already have nukes . Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think Iran is also in possession of nukes . A more technical advanced country might give a crazy hate filled dictator a nuke so as to act as a proxy to launch an attack . It appears to me the Japanese now have a different mind set , but we all know how they would readily sacrifice themselves in World War Two . Sometimes hatred overrides logic , Look at the fake news networks in America throwing their propaganda at the American public , thinking the public will believe their lies . I think the potential threat of some crazy slinging out a Nuke is very real .

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  47. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    As I understand it. Nuclear material is traceable back to the country of origin. So if a country sold Iran a nuke and it was used, then both countries would become retaliatory targets. There is also a difference between hate filled fanatics and the Japanese population prepared to die for their country. The Japanese soldiers were raised under the code of Bushido, they were trained to die by that code from childhood. A completely different driving force. Fanatics are hate driven and the Japanese were culturally driven. Our soldiers and population would die for our country. We would just not do it in wasteful manner (Bonzia {sp} charge).

watcherchris and poltiregist like this.
  48. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A coronal mass ejection is caused when the surface of the sun erupts throwing off bits of its corona into space. When that stuff hits our magnetic field it causes a HUGE magnetic flux. Electricity is made when you run a wire through a magnetic field. In this case a just enormous magnetic charge will hit every wire on the planet. Think of every wire suddenly having a voltage charge in the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of volts. Even the little wires in appliances and things like computers are going to spark and burn up whatever they are connected to. Nothing that is electric will survive that isn't in a massive Faraday cage. Even if you "save" your radios, cell phones and computers what good will they be with no cell towers, no power and nothing to hook them to to recharge them.

In the end part of living through this will be for those that can move on. Those that can't turn loose of their past won't be able to live with the lose of their electric lifestyle.

Moving to another planet won't be a long term solution. We will need to more INTO the other places like the moons and the asteroids. Any place that has a magnetic field is as dangerous as our current home. The thing that is sad is that we already have the technology to have been there. What we lack is the leadership and drive to get it done. Yes, when or if we migrate we will leave behind the lesser peoples...just as happened when North America was discovered. The people with the most drive and the adventurous went while the others stayed at home. that is always the way and the only manner left for humanity to evolve.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I woke up sober this morning and read my postings from last night , muscadine wine still works .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've stated this before. Repeating.

Industrial control equipment is tested to 35,000 Volts, direct hit, no NEMA cabinet. With conductive metal enclosure (a bit of Faraday effect), more protection is provided -- I've never personally witnessed w/enclosure testing.

MIG and TIG welding sends out some nasty fields radiated and conducted.

Soviet MIGs used to use vacuum tube circuits that will survive nuclear engagements. We use triple redundancy shielded computers in our aircraft.

Solar flares generating killer EMP waves would also likely simply burn us to death.

Several years back, a good-sized solar flare took out the power grids of all of northern Quebec. Power grids using above ground transmission lines are particularly vulnerable.

One might well consider having a Faraday cage for their generator. Smaller electronics / radios can be stored in gun safes. These are not absolute insurance policies, however whatever helps, helps.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.