When to Plant

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening' started by ThePriest, Apr 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ThePriest

ThePriest Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of things to take into consideration when planting such as sunlight , accessibility to water , where to plant and how. But do you know when the best time to plant is? Ask yourself does a plant just shoot up out of the ground in the middle of the day or night? The best time to plant or transplant is early in the morning or late in the evening. Because with transplanting if you plant in the middle of the day it will throw the plant off its cycle. And when planting seeds they don't get a full day of sunlight. Not forcing your plants to change their cycle is best, so they grow successfully.

[​IMG]

You can use us for an example. During the day, we get to eat and be active. Then at night when we go to bed we slowly grow. Now if you decided to sleep during the day and stay up all night anybody's that's done it know it makes you grumpy, tired and hungry. If you think about this when your planting seeds and are choosing their cycle you are more likely to have a heathly, strong plant. The season is also very very important because if the plant is out of season, it will simply not grow. This is because the weather is just not right for the plants needs. The time in which the sun stays out changes from summer to fall. It also gets colder and colder until spring and plants can't take freezing temperatures just like us. But don't worry if there is a cold snap because plants can withstand subfreezing temperatures for a couple of days at most.

John Snort likes this.
  2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    If you don't have lots of water then it would be better to transplant plants in the evening because then you won't have to water the newly transplanted plant though of course you'll have to throughly water it right after transplanting. It would help minimize transplant shock which increases the odds of the plants surviving after being transplanted.

3. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I generally water my plants in the morning right after they've had their morning sun, and then in the evening after sunset. The spot that my garden is in has shade during the hottest time of the day, so I've been able to grow things quicker. This way, they've had time to drink water after being dried out by the sun, and then they can have another drink at night. Seems to be a working method thus far. I never thought about the changes, though. That would make sense that most of my plants didn't take the transport too well since I did move them during an awkward time of the day.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When planting seeds like corn crop, we usually plant in the early morning. There is a superstition that if you plant corn late in the day, the cobs will not be full of kernels. But when planting cuttings or even replanting seedlings from the plastic pot, we plant in the late afternoon so the seedling will have a relaxing time at night. And when it is hit by sunlight, it is already stabilized in the new location.

For planting big crops, the timing is during the onset of the rainy season. Cassava or corn grow fast when there is rain because the sun is not much hot. However, too much cold will negatively affect the crops since they are tropical plants. And when there is too much rain and it floods, the crop will drown. Last year our cassava crop (just a few beds though) were submerged in floodwater for more than a week. We had lost all of it. The leaves fall off and new leaves sprout. That means the cassava in the root had rot already and it's back to square one.

5. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Basically, when to plant is determined by the season and site of planting. Various plants have their seasons and the type of site to be planted on.
    I think its wrong to water a plant in the afternoon because of the heat from the sun. I believe when you water a plant in the afternoon, when the top surface of the soil is hot already, you risk burning the root of the plant because of the heat the water has acquired from the top soil as it penetrates into the ground.

6. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    In my side of the state, I think we have random weather. It's fair to plant seeds during the June time. You can see that planting seeds during this month and letting it properly handle the water upto august is a good option. As you can see this may not apply to all. Some people have the snow instead of rain. And usually for them snow starts from the September upto the January. So it may differ for all.

7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I hope you guys are making your gardening plans to combat the multiple S.H.T.F. events that appear to be approaching simultaneously , almost like a military alliance attack . I have begun ground preparations in my garden , but purposefully slow as I am feeding the weeds in my garden beds to the chickens . All my seeds I plan to plant are heirloom that , I have saved for , when plant and seed purchasing is a no go .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I need to go pick spinach this morning for our evening meal . The heirloom variety that I plant has survived under snow and sub-zero temperatures this winter , making it an excellent , delicious and nutrient packed choice during the global winter period .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    seeds even heirloom seeds need to be used within a certain date, normally up to 5 years, some a little less, if one has a seed stock but dosent use them they need to be replaced with fresh seed regularly.
    I need to learn how to save my own seeds although I have a good stock of purchased seeds.
    https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlife.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I planted mustard greens and red potatoes today . My work has begun in more earnest on my other garden areas getting ready for the main planting to take place in a month to a month and a half .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    still too cold here to plant anything, my early seed potatoes are ready to be planted but wont be until at least the middle of the month, still reports of snow in the weather forecast.

TMT Tactical likes this.