When Would Best Time Of Year For You To Deal With A Massive Shtf, Like Emp Or Cme Or Grid Down Hard.

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by IBME, Feb 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. IBME

IBME Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    Now this is something that I have thought about for decades, and it has been part of my planning. Early on I had thought that late spring or early summer, would be easiest for me, and while that is still true, I now think mid January or early February would be the safest.

A little harder for me, but at the first snow storm, and no DOT to plow the roads, that would hugely lock the city people far way till mid to late April and maybe even early May. The other nice thing about snow is it leaves tracks........which is why I have to be very careful and never go near any of my caches in winter.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    I think Mid Spring because most preppers will have already at least tilled or prepared their space for the garden, and a lot of us will have planted a partial garden. It will be the time for the livestock to start having babies and you will be able to start preparing for their trade, barter, and/or how and where you store them once you have packaged, smoked, cure, etc.

TMT Tactical and IBME like this.
  3. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    At the top also, I would say summer, so the children will not be in school. They can be at home with their families and helping with all the chores.

4. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure there is an optimum time to deal with SHTF situations, but one thing is for sure we are very unlikely to be able to choose the time. On that basis it is best to prepare for it happening at the worst time for food availability etc. In Europe that would be December to early February.

Ystranc, IBME and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Well-Known Member
      55/58

Blog Posts:
    The best time for me would be spring so I could make use of the summer to stock up on produce, fish, etc during the summer. The worst time would be late fall after the growing season and the salmon runs are over. Jan/Feb would be fine as the winter would weed out the unprepared pretty quickly.

IBME and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    For me it would be the summer that is best but that would also be the worst for my neighbors. I love the heat and am not bothered by 120*F but most folks cannot live in that temp. without A/C. Also if there is no electricity, there will not be water coming out of their faucets. Winter is just a nuisance but not life threatening.

IBME likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    winter for me, as that would kill off all those people that wouldn't survive anyway a bit quicker, especially if the electricity and water mains were down, January and February tend to be the worst months of the winter with gales and storms and if we are going to get snow it will be then, if we get snow then the country will grind to a halt anyway.
    I prefer a fast SHTF rather than dragging out a slow prolonged event.

GateCrasher, TMT Tactical and IBME like this.
  8. Oldguy

Oldguy Expert Member
      150/173

Blog Posts:
    Autumn, gives me six months to get a veggie garden organized

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    Late fall would probably be best if it was a world ending sort of disaster. Our winters are pretty easy but a few cold spells would kill off a lot of the people too stupid to live. Those of us that are prepared will be able to ride it out until spring on stored supplies and then can get our gardens up and running. In the spring and summer you will have to deal more with the refugees and mobs of panicked people trying to run and get out of the cities.

In the North if you are prepared by the time spring and summer get there you will not have a lot of competition for resources because most will freeze to death or die in the fires started by people trying to stay warm.

In places like Arizona summer will thin out the people really fast. If you have food and a dependable water supply you should be able to just stay out of sight and let nature take its course.

In the major metropolitan area there is no good time. Too many people with not enough food and no clean water makes them a death trap no matter what time of year it is.

Basically if you are prepared you can take advantage of the situation regardless of the time of year.

10. IBME

IBME Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    True........but I would much prefer the natural selection process happened two hundred miles away, and not in my yard.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    "Basically if you are prepared you can take advantage of the situation regardless of the time of year" (TexDanm)
    This says it all as far as I'm concerned.
    While there is no good time for a SHTF mass die off I would prefer winter, it might help prevent mass movement and the spread of disease.

TMT Tactical, IBME and lonewolf like this.