Where Do You Think Would Be The Best Place To Go Off Grid?

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by Tanner Kozlowski, May 15, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Tanner Kozlowski

Tanner Kozlowski New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Going off grid has always been a consideration of mine for years, and have wanted to at least try it for a few months to see if I would like it. One question that I have always had about going off grid would be where is the best place to go off grid and successfully do it? Im talking states or countries with the best areas that are secluded and truly off grid. If you have any ideas of places that you think would be great for starting an off grid journey let me know as I am very interested to get some input on this topic.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Have you considered New Zealand? it's an island, good places for planting and farming crops, not too high population... as far as I know they're quite keen on the off-grid living.

Or maybe Oregon, Three Rivers? they have a community there and they live off the grid. This might be an easier option than New Zealand. Don't know how hard getting into the actual country is.

3. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have a friend in New Mexico, and he tells me there is an off-grid community out there. I would say generally speaking, places that are warmer seems to be ideal for off-grid living, but here in Florida, the local government is cracking down on off-grind living, which is sad if you ask me, off-grid living is in no way a crime.

4. joshposh

joshposh Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    I would think that you need to have access to water, via underground well or nearby river. Then you need to think about an area with adequate and constant wind and sun to run your wind turbines and or solar panels. Just because you see a plot of land, it doesn't mean you can set up camp and live off grid. Number one would be water. Without a well or source of water, it's going to be a uphill climb or a dead issue if you don't have that near by.

5. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about Alaska. Uncharted territories. Great water sources. Fresh air. Plentiful wildlife for hunting.
    Although, some parts of Alaska can have brutal weather and the darkness for several months would be very hard, but possible.

coffee likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    More secluded places in Australia than you can shake a stick at. I would stay clear of the tropics for two reasons, 1) easy enough to keep yourself warm, but not so easy to stay cool 2) cyclones & storms. Here in Australia we have the tropics at one end, & the Alps & Snowy Mountains at the other end. We are off grid in between. We get four seasons, reasonable rains & plenty of sun for our solar power.
    Having a river or creek is good, but these places are usually more expensive, & you can never be sure that the water is not contaminated from higher up. We have header streams & dams & we store rain water in tanks.
    Wood heating/cooking is the cheapest & most sustainable providing you don't have to purchase your wood supply! So having woodland or a forest is a must. We live in a forest.
    Access. Poor access can sometimes mean a less expensive property, & really if you are going to be in a secluded place, then you need to have a 4WD vehicle.
    Keith.
    fD6ui6Don535uwt22b4p-8QdljD6SJuK.jpeg

branchd77 likes this.
  7. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Normally the easiest places are the more isolated areas. Since most companies aren't wiling to connect you to the grid it's a viable option.

coffee likes this.
  8. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Most harsh would be Mongolia. And it can be extremely not just with weather but due to local issues. Also the amount of weather changes makes it harder to stay. But it is the best place to go off the grid. I have found that even the Himalaya is a nice place in such context. You can also go off the grid in China but local population is not welcoming in that condition. New zealand has it's share of nature and places to go off the grid.

9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm real liking many parts of West Virginia. Lots of resources for living off grid. Low population in the most rural areas.

Old Geezer likes this.
  10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A very rural area in any state orcountry things to consider weather and climate water sorce and advalibilty power for shelter solar wind or hydro what is going to work best in the area you choose the choices are yours to make and the work to make it is yours to do

GS AutoTech likes this.
  11. Ecologically Impared

Ecologically Impared New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Canada. We have the most water, least venomous animals, and there isn't many people here compared to other countries. Where I live you may have to deal with a tornado every few years, but it rarely causes any damage and when it does, it's minimal. It rains enough to sustain a farm on a well, even if you don't store rain water other ways, and although the growing season isn't as long as I'd like the soil is forgiving. Most of the praries would be ignored because no one is going to go looking for survivors in the middle of nowhere (some field) and most people don't own guns so it's safer to approach other survivors. Just have to watch out for the rez dogs and hungry coyotees.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Are there any critters in Australia that are not poisonous? I would expect to find in Aus fanged butterflies. Spider bites in Aus cause the victim to become paralyzed, blind, melt into napalm, then explode into flames. Australian ducks have stingers that shoot out they butts, stick into you, cause you to sing "The Good Ship Lollipop", then you fall down and break into pieces. Australia dangerous. That's why it was used as a penal colony -- God abandoned the place right after creating it.

Besides, when the Chinese learn how to build troop xport ships, the PRC military will run over the top of Aus in 5 or 6 hours. Government down under doesn't trust the people with semi-autos, so when the Chi-comm attack, there will be nothing the Aussies can do to fight back against the occupation.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

360/460

Blog Posts:
    Oh, about forgot. China has well over a billion humans. Australia has no nuclear arsenal -- the ONLY way to defend against mega-armies. China will inevitably take over all of Southeast Asia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Australia. It will take years/decades, however such is inevitable.

14. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    True, but then again this is a big country & not many people. Regardless of the survival scenario, Australia could still arguably be the best place to be. We can site the Chinese & Indonesia as possible enemies, but then again what is the most likely scenario? If I thought there was a better place to be right now, I would probably be there.
    Keith.

15. Old Geezer

360/460

Blog Posts:
    Your kids will be at risk. The huge risk, due to time-frame, is to your grandchildren. China is a commie cancer.

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    The problem with going off grid is that when you get far enough out to be safe there is no way to make a living there. Most of us, when we were young had to work and make decisions based on what we could realistically afford to do. Being old is great. Between my wife and I we can live anywhere and have our checks direct deposited in the nearest bank... but then what is the point. Our home is paid for and honestly we have more money than we can spend. Our wants are mostly silly things like my knife addiction but when we were younger we needed to be someplace where there were people to make a living.

I am a machinist, electrician, mechanic, gunsmith, AC/Heating certified repair tech, plumber, carpenter and can fix and/or build almost anything and own my own little company. She is a Dental Hygienist. Both pay real well but tie you to a certain level of civilization.

I live in the country outside of a town population about 500 that is 15 miles from a town that has about 30,000 people and about a hundred miles from Houston. That was the best I could do balancing between being OUT but able to make the kind of living we wanted.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Town is 28 miles erie 70 we made a livein well now retired we still survive well off the farm its nice not to have to worry about thejob and the farm both so life is good mrs smackes me when she gets calls because my phone & radio are turned off lol

18. Joe Stonecipher

Joe Stonecipher Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I'd set up anywhere out in the country where you don't anticipate a big stampede of sheeple if sh** hits the fan. You can have electric lights and water, if things go to hell just trip your breaker, close your water valve and you're "off grid."

Have you're own well with a hand pump or solar panels to run a pump motor. You can have solar panels and use them to run your refrigerator, freezer or well when the sun's shining.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Joe Stonecipher
      Of course, you need a well - with some alternate way of pumping the water when the electric grid is off, such as an ole fashioned hand pump.

You'll also need a septic tank and drain field - just make sure they're all gravity fed.

Joe Stonecipher, Feb 22, 2019
  19. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      92/115

Blog Posts:
    I agree. I think West Virginia, in a rural area, could be awesome. Lately, I have also been thinking a lot about Kentucky. I never hear anything bad, or good for that matter, about Kentucky. What do the rest of you guys and gals think about Kentucky? Let me know,

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      92/115

Blog Posts:
    I agree. I think West Virginia, in a rural area, could be awesome. Lately, I have also been thinking a lot about Kentucky. I never hear anything bad, or good for that matter, about Kentucky. What do the rest of you guys and gals think about Kentucky? Let me know.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

360/460

Blog Posts:
    All places east of the Mississippi plus the bread-basket states are taken -- or known about by the hunters. Anybody moving in MUST know / be a part of the culture -- ESPECIALLY IN DIXIE. City-slickers, Yankees, and such will be overrun in hard times. Urban areas in the south will suffer the same fate as urban areas all over -- they'll burn. Urban refugees will not be welcome in the heartlands and risk being shot dead. FEMA camps are for the sardine people. Will right-wing headbangers be arrested? Yes, the ones into criminality/psycho-crap, but that's not what the FEMA camps are for. Plain ol' conservatives can't be put away, because they are who make up real law enforcement and the sections of the military branches who bring about the death and destruction thingy, the face to face killing.

When the urbanites call upon the military to do their dirty work for them, they'll be in for a most horrific response.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    'Mid pleasures and palaces
    Though I may roam
    Be it ever so humble
    There's no place like home

I will stick to the good ole USA. Plenty of places here with everything you need. Temperate climate, good farm land, plenty of water, no neighbors. Virtually unlimited choices. Pick what suits you best.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    good old (north) Devon for me, I spent 10 years out of the county and I couldn't wait to get back and I'll never leave it again.

TMT Tactical likes this.