Where Is Your Alternate Meet Up Location.....???

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Jul 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't post it here.

But it is 1:45 PM and there is a massive explosion that appears to be roughly near where you live. As you get nearer your home there are several more explosions in different areas. As soon as you see your house and 17 others are gone.........."CRAP......Now WHAT"

Question: Where exactly do you race toward, You know that alternate meet-up location your entire family has been training (once a month) to go to.......yes that one.

And if that "Meet-up" is gone what exactly has your entire family-team been training to race to as the third option for meet-up.........???

Everyone in the family-team is totally drilled on "Meet-UP" places. They don't stand around gapping at the blank spot there your home was.......right.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Soooooo are you scratching your head........or are you 101% sure everyone in your family and team is clear about racing to the meet-up point.

What is the plan if a key family member is in the hospital for six days starting three days ago.

Are you actually running family drills..........or just down loading interesting posts for future reference.......??? Your future reference file is gone like your home is gone. That is why you and your family-team are running drills..................right.....???

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My family & friends know to come here. I am here all the time unless for some reason I have to make a run into town. If a family member is having a problem getting here, I will go & get them.
    Keith.

4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith, if your family member can't get to you, why should you be able to get to them?

The Innkeeper likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning IBME,

If a key (or even non-key) family member is in the hospital 3 days prior to the emergency, during the emergency, there will be no parking spaces even near the hospital. Couple to this the basic "fact" that the entire hospital area is dangerous because of inadequate infection-controls lacking....especially involving respiratory infections.

My above commentary is called, in official circles, the - secondary hazard -.

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Because I am me, & I have more experience.
    Keith.

7. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Hah, good answer Keith, I like that.

8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking more along the lines that you abandon the person in the hospital, and take what family you can and haul'ass to assumed safety. See, I puke when I hear people say, "Oh' I will just be flexible and make it up as I go."

If people really-really-really ran drills. then the person in the hospital would KNOW exactly was happening, and where to look for his/her family-team when they can.

9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning IBME,

I understand. Appreciate clarification.

My complete agreement with the point you're making.

10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was not challenging but I do think there is a flaw in your logic. If you are the anchor of your family unit and all are trying to make their way to you, I don't think it is wise to endanger the group by risking you to play savior. As expressed by YOU, you have more experience and putting that at risk to save part of your family, does not compute. You are not the expendable member, you are the leader. The general is not on the front line for a reason and the leader of the group / colony does not risk life and limb for individual members. The safety of the group / family is the top priority.

Keith H. and The Innkeeper like this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nobody will be coming here. there is only in-laws and they probably wont make it anywhere, all sheeple and too far away.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  12. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Along with a meeting place, a couple other suggestions:

- HTs (walkie talkies) or mobile radios and an agreed on frequency/channel would be helpful for making contact if you have missing group members. Range is of course limited, but at least they don't rely on a working telecommunication system or grid power. Even assuming only a 1 mile range, that's still over 3 miles of area coverage that you don't have to search by sight. Many radios can also be programmed to not allow changing certain settings from front panel, which might be helpful for less radio-savvy team members - program their radios with only "PRI" and "ALT" channels and lock out their ability to make any changes except switching between those from the front panel so they can't inadvertently change the settings by pushing a wrong button.

-Marking tape/ribbon and a permanent marker in the BOBs, a different color for each person. Mark the areas as you travel, tied around a tree or a road sign for example, and writing the compass direction you're traveling in. This limits the search area if someone doesn't make it since you have some idea how far they got. Each person adds their color tape when they find one of another member and each is marked again each time somebody passes that spot. That helps if someone has to backtrack and change routes, and to let the missing/lost person know they're being searched for, by who, and what direction they were headed last.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    marker tape etc. can be seen by a lot of people not just your missing family member and would draw attention to your location.

Radar, TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  14. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Not sure why that'd be a problem in most cases, they'll have no idea who put it there, why, or when.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    but they'd follow it anyway just out of curiosity, not a problem in minor events but what about after the collapse? I don't want anyone snooping around here that's for sure.
    not that's its something i'd do anyway.

16. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Around here ribbons are used by hunters to mark where they left the path/entered the woods and the path to their hunting spot before dawn or after dusk, they're common and following them leads nowhere (except maybe a good hunting spot). But sure, use something common in your area that wouldn't draw attention. "BOL ---->" might not be good :)

Also depends on what's more important at the time too I suppose, meeting up or not being discovered. Nothing says you couldn't remove the last few nearest your location after everyone meets up.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ribbons or tape would really stand out here, I've never ever seen them used.
    still, I was just thinking out loud, excuse me.

18. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Gate Crasher,

It's good info re the radios but they're not applicable to all types of "events".

For natural disasters, yes, a great idea. For human-made (gender-neutral terminology) disasters (and certain of these emergencies) such as terrorism, most all pre-established non-responder circuits are blocked.

Don't know where you're transmitting from but here on the mid-Atlantic coastal area and the US Gulf Coast Texas to Miss (Miss is now handling some of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve), the anti-terrorism programs are established so that a terrorist cannot use a radio.

In my emergency responder role, I carry some special rolls of vinyl tape. One is the black on pink worded "Excape Route" and the other black letters/skull-cross bones on blue is labeled "Danger". In a non-natural event, I don't know the feasibility of a private citizen using marker tape in certain areas of the nation.

19. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    We had a practical application a couple years ago. The entire community was on evacuation alert due to approaching forest fires and several nearby communities were already evacuated. There is one highway in and out. There are some limited back country roads but most lead through the heart of the fire. Along thevac route for other communities first responders were directing vehicles on various evac routes. It was often car number one take this route, car number two that route.

Since my darling bride and I would each by taking different vehicles, had we been evacuated there was a good chance our vehicles could have been sent in differing directions. Had that been the case it would have been a 4-8 hour drive to rendezvous again (depending on our evac route). We set primary and secondary meeting places for rendezvous, and interim plans. Each of us had camping gear and sufficient supply's in the event of delay in reconnecting. In the end the fire was turned before it hit our community, but there was great comfort in having a plan.

20. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Innkeeper,

Had I been the first responder and not explicitly told otherwise, if you or dearly betrothed told me situation of the 2 vehicles, I'd make the necessary adjustments to keep both you 2 together. I'm from the traditional American model to do things correctly.

As an aside, was once working traffic and a forest ranger type of vehicle from a nearby oceanographic institute sought a shortcut. It would have been an extra hour delay other than for my MBO - Management By Objectives. I asked the young lady if she was transporting any marine mammals. She smiled and said "no". I made further inquiry if she was transporting any stranded sea turtles.

One flutter of her eye lashes and I held up all traffic in support of marine life.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think this is an individual thing. I know my family very well, namely my wife & three sons. My wife is a manager, My Eldest son is a big guy & very intelligent, middle son is an organizer/manager/intelligent, gets things done, youngest son intelligent, good at working things out & good with his hands. I would not want to leave what family I had at home, but I would trust them to take care of things if I were not to come back. We work as a group, I am seen as the elder, but in truth any decisions that are made are made with input from all the family if it concerns all the family.
    Simply put, I am the one who stands the best chance of getting through, there & back again. No one else, not even my close friends have had the experience I have & experience will win every time. I am not blowing my own horn here, it is simply a matter of knowing what you are skilled at & capable of, & I would not risk the life of any of my family or friends sending/allowing them to go into an unknown situation.
    Having said that I would need to know where they are. If I have had no word, ie no phones, then I would be giving them time to work it out themselves. I do know the routes they would be taking IF THEY CAN, & these routes are pretty straight forward & likely to be open. They are not in a major city, the city is very small & very easy to negotiate.
    Keith.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what you mean by "blocked" Pragmatist? If you mean jammed, as in transmitting a stronger signal with noise or other interference over the entire radio spectrum (from DC to daylight basically), then that's not easily done except in a small geographical area. Jamming specific frequencies, like all the CB or GMRS channels is something I could see DHS or the military doing in some situations, but they aren't going to jam all marine, railroad, NOAA weather, emergency beacons, medical telemetry, or other "non-responder" frequencies, and those are just a few that even a $25 baofeng dual band can utilize.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Gate Crasher,

Just using "blocked" as a member of laity. Don't know technical meanings.

Some marine, most all railroads (not all industrial RR eg at a mine), all NOAA, etc are part of the National Incident Management System ("NIMS" [We've running low on acronyms]). They will have commo.

Others, eg much general aviation, recreational boating, etc, will not.

DHS and DOD will definitely be involved along with their numerous contractors.

TMT Tactical likes this.