Where Should a Permanent Shelter Be Built

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by WaterWizard, Apr 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WaterWizard

WaterWizard Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Building a permanent shelter is not something that should be taken lightly. This is a project that will require time and dedication as well as skill and knowledge. When you apply your knowledge and dedication to building a solid permanent shelter, you will come out with great results. A permanent shelter is not something that will happen overnight. A permanent shelter will take you sometimes days even weeks to construct. Picking the location in which you will construct your permanent shelter is just important as the materials you will use themselves.
    [​IMG]

When you build a permanent shelter, you want to make sure that you are not building it in an area that is at risk of flooding. For this reason staying away from riverbeds and lakeshores are a good idea. Should you decide to build around these areas, you will want to take the extra step of elevating your shelter on stilts. Knowing the environment you are in at all times can help you be prepared for a situation that calls for you to build a shelter that will become permanent.
    [​IMG]

Building a permanent shelter is something that can be practiced for fun, and hopefully, it's a scenario or situation that you will never have to truly apply yourself to. If you are building a permanent shelter in an emergency situation, this means that many things in life have changed. The only way you can ever prepare yourself even slightly for an event of this magnitude is to study and practice different case scenarios so that you will have a better understanding of how situations will go down when emergencies occur.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    High ground near a water scorce. High ground you can see whats going on around you placed right you will not be flooded out

3. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Let's see now. I would set up shop on high grounds in a none flood zone, first and foremost. There would be a body of water or water supply near, but right next to it, in case of a mosquito infestation. Some tree cover would be nice but not necessary. I find building next to string trees gives extra sun coverage. That's about it really.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    high ground but off the skyline, near a water source but not beside it.
    take your time and do it properly, its not going to be built in a day or a week, but ideally you want it finished before the first winter storms hit.

5. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You want to make sure your surroundings are convenient. It's best if you build a home that's near a water source, on higher ground, and safe from wild animals. You don't want bears or mountain lions roaming into your home when you're unaware. You also don't want to be too far away from clean water, and other food you might need. Building a place that'll be generally safe, and convenient, is the best you want to do.

6. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I would consider access to means of transportation, water source and security issues. Though most are concentrating on the water source as a major factor, the fact remains that one can arrange for pipe connections to the good or dig a borehole or a waterwell. I would also take into consideration my source of income or occupation so that the location doesn't become an impediment when it comes to this. Of course the climate of the area would also be a major consideration.

7. Puglover148

Puglover148 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    A permanent shelter should be on high ground. Not in trees though, since it an be burned. But in a place where it sturdy and can protect you from the weather or other people who want to harm you, the roof of the shelter should be protective and strong if things hit it, or people throw things at it. More importantly you should make sure despite your shelter being able to protect you from the outside, but from itself in the inside. Say a strong storm comes and hits your roof and shake it until it can no longer hold up, you need to make sure that when it falls that it`s not strong enough to injure or crush you when it falls. Also, make sure you have a backup way to get out of the shelter just in case people try to take over, like a safe place to fall to on the ground, a handmade parachute or glider. To even prevent hat situation where you have to use a backup to get out, use a rope that is nonflammable and easy to cut just in case people try to light they can`t, then after that they try to climb it, and right when they`re high enough that if they fall now they will die if they fall at that moment, cut it. After all, if a doomsday disaster happens and you need a stable place and protection that`s the only option. Last tip, to even prevent form what I just said that could possibly happen, happen. Ask them to please leave you alone three times, and if they don`t, put my whole plan I just said into motion.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good shelter should be low and hard to spot a basha style enlarged abit with a scout pit dug out underneath the roof pallets on the floor get you off ground cover these with a runner rubber backed rug pallets on side walls covered with cardboard inside supplies could be stored under roof on the edge of pit a fire box and oven at one end give you heat and cooking place with work it could be made very liveable but very tuff to spot

9. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, you need to build your shelter on a lot that is "perkable" in other words has access to a water source. Having to haul water to your house would not be a fun thing to do. Als,i I agree your home should not be in a floodplain or other area that is going to be overwhelmed by the weather.

10. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the variables.

Ystranc likes this.
    1. Ystranc
      Finally someone who isn't regurgitating the same old crap. We know nothing about this guys environment so how can we comment on what style of building he should have or where he builds it.

Ystranc, Jul 16, 2017
  11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Most of the posts above have fallen into the trap of thinking in a rut. You're all describing the idyllic hunting lodge that you want to build in the lakes while he might live in high altitude desert region or open grassland.

If you don't know there is no shame in admitting it.

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    My idea of a shelter is in a deserted hill and constructed underground. I had imagined that from time to time that a shelter underground is not easy to spot which means there should be vegetation around it. And the exact location is a hill with no inhabitants for added safety measure. Perhaps the ideal site would be the side of the hill that have trees around. But upon construction, the architecture should make sure that a landslide is not a probability.