Where To Camp

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Xilkozuf, May 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    When you are in the wilderness you'll eventually need to find somewhere to camp. When this situation comes, what are the most important details to keep in mind, in general? What would be the the perfect and ideal place to put your camp?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the needs at the time!
    but stay away from water sources due to mozzies ets and possibly flash flooding!
    stay away from trees or overhanging rocks!

In amongst some dense low scrub is good as you get a wind shield, a sight shield yet you can look out, higher ground is good!

I used a similar setup on and off for years! it started as a dense patch of lignum/blackberry, I carefully cut my way in to a small clear spot in the centre.
    I enlarged the clear patch and ringed it with some hessian I carried, I camped under the stars for several days the first time and peed on the scrub roots!
    small fire to cook on that could not be seen from the outside! A neat little camp! Each time I visited I enlarged the clearing a little and watered the scrub when I could!
    After a few years I had a circular clearing of about 4m dia with a low rock wall around it a little higher than my knees and about half covered in an old tarp, very snug.

Shared the site with a mate and the following year it was being used by many so abandoned it!

Harry Warren likes this.
  3. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    High ground! And flat. You don't want to wake up after a rain storm and be at the bottom of the hill you were sleeping on. I look for trees that'll give me some cover, but leaves some open space on the ground.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Much may depend on the time of year & what country you are in, but in general, as Kanagirl says, choose high ground. That is to say not in the bottom of a valley or a flood plain. Trees and bushes are good to break the wind, but trees can also fall on you in a storm. Trees are less stable in rocky ground.
    Always look for widow makers when choosing a camp site. These are broken branches hanging in trees. Check the lie of the land & make sure you are not making your shelter where water may run in heavy rains. Rocks are good for making a heat reflector in winter, so you may wish to consider this.
    Camping near a water source is good, but NOT too near! Things to consider with a water course are: Mossies in summer, rising cold at night, & flooding. In tropical areas crocodiles should also be a consideration & snakes. Ray Mears made these mistakes in one of his videos! Never dip water from an area that has crocodiles! If you have a steep bank, then lower your kettle on a rope. Make sure there is not a croc on the bank or behind you!
    [​IMG]
    My camp in the forest. There was higher ground, but there was also lower ground. No sign of water flow anywhere near, ground is fairly flat.
    [​IMG]
    Another of my camps in the forest. As you can see there is higher ground, but below this camp is a header stream. Water does flow in heavy rains to the left of this shelter, but not through it. The higher ground affords me some shelter from high winds.
    [​IMG]
    Can you see the widow maker in this image? A brisk wind could bring this branch down.
    Keith.

5. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I'm so grateful I don't have to worry about crocodiles here! The biggest threat around here, near the water, is water moccasins. Then, away from the water, we have copperheads to watch out for. Otherwise, it's relatively safe... racoons, skunks, possums, etc.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No crocs here in New England either Kanagirl, but we lived in the Territory for 10 years & there were plenty of crocs up there. We do of course have snakes, some of the most dangerous in the world. But you can't have everything you want, there are pluses & minuses where ever you go.
    Keith.

7. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Im not familiar with that area, at all. I've left the south once, and that was a visit to connecticut. The only wildlife I saw then was in the HoJo's bar. Up in new England do you have brown bears? And big cats? We have no bears here, and we only see big cats if one escapes from the panther farm. Throw me in an area with either of those or Crocs, I'm not going to be much into camping for fun, lol.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

No frog hunting for you

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is New England in NSW Australia Kanagirl :) We also have The Great Lakes in NSW. We only have drop bears here, though there have been reports of big cats.
    Keith.

10. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    ? With all of the Crocs that are over there why don't you all have a opening hunting season on them or do you and why do you have them in some places and not others if your in FLA you have about a 80 precent chance there is a gator in the water and that's even in salt water

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Crocodiles are protected over here, the same as a lot of wildlife, they have their place in the Eco system. Crocs like the warm waters, so they stay in the Top End where it is the hottest. They are present in the rivers & the sea up there. There is also a croc farm in the top end that breeds them for meat.
    Australia is a big place, Snowy Mountains & the Alps at one end, & tropics at the other. We live half way between.
    Keith

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  12. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I love to go over one day.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Keith H. likes this.
  13. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Ooohhh, Australia! With, is it the 9 deadliest snakes in the world? And deadliest spiders? And dingos? I have always wanted to visit Australia... as long as I had a guide with a big machete. It's so beautiful, and I've heard the people are really nice. The wildlife, though, terrifies me! I don't know if I could get used to it.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. Harry Warren

Harry Warren New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I agree with these previous posts about seeking higher ground and not locating right next to a water source. We should consider how we might transport water from a stream, and how and where we will collect rainwater. Someone made a great point about checking trees for dead or hanging branches that might fall at any given time. I have heart such branches crash to the ground in the middle of the night in state parks; we just never know.

Kanagirl likes this.
  15. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A area that has been logged out will have many places to camp level high spot with water near is great. A place that has been loged will be thick with underbrush lots of game it will have berries like black berries and rasberries in good thick patches it will be full of tops left by loggers lots of wood for fire and shelter the few trees left will grow to larger trees in years smaller seedling will be everywhere after shtf you want your shelter hard to spot not to be seen by raiders and others so the thick undergrowth of these places is great for that

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a good thread. To be honest, I am scared that a war may break out in our country any time so I want to be prepared. And the mountains would be our refuge if that happens. As per my stock knowledge, a safe place to camp in the wilderness is under a tree. Some would prefer a cave but I'm scared of predators. At least the tree looks safer that I can run away if needed. Making a hovel would be good enough as temporary shelter. I wouldn't venture in grassy places for I am scared of snakes. An open area is not ideal because you are easily spotted in case there are enemies around. In other words, moderation is my guideline in finding a safe place to camp. By the way, I would also choose one that is near the water, a river or a creek maybe.