Where to shelter when the shtf

Discussion in 'Primitive Shelter' started by Tom Williams, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The placement of your shelter for protection is something that will be important i myself have places picked out and ready ie stashes there one i will give up its in the middle of a hawthron apple thicket follow a deer trail in yes its a crawl in wear good gloves and leather protective stuff in the middle of the rhicket clear a spot here stash gear each trip then when needed you make a shelter of your choice the thick cover makes it hard to see and most will advoid going into the area due to the nasty thorns on rhe tree quiet camp and careful of your smell many mornings you will have deer bedded near you the thickes nasty place you find near your water is the best due to the fact people will not enter

koolhandlinc likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Some punctuation would have been nice lol.

But from what I've gathered... yes, hiding in a thicket is a pretty good idea. However, chilling beneath a thorn bush with protective gear on doesn't sound comfortable, especially if SHTF in the summertime. The other thing is the amount of insects that might be present in these locations. Animals often bed in the same areas, and if you use a recently abandoned location, you're bound to pick up ticks and fleas.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Each trip too and in you trim and clear to a point where crawl in is better but dont open a walk in trail as this would f give away loctarion once in you open and clear your spot so that you are safe from thorns and move about easy the wood you trim is great for cooking with ticks fleas bugs can be handled with proper dressing and gear the idea is hidden and safe from others not live like a hotel the idea is to survive may i suggest a 4x4 and camper for you and good luck on your quest to survive

koolhandlinc likes this.
  4. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Slow down my man! :D Put some brakes on it. ;)
    But yeah the placement is very important. You should think about it very carefully because that will be your shelter for the time being and if it's placed on a bad area, or a prone to something, that could be a total waste of effort and materials.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The best place to shelter is our own house, it has 4 walls and a roof, and will shelter us from all the weather has to throw at us.
    I will only bug out from here( middle of the English countryside) in VERY extreme circumstances. many british preppers say I have bugged out already because of my location.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ditto Lonewolf.

koolhandlinc and lonewolf like this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    All that is equally true if you are on the run. The thing about hunkering down in place, IF it is the right sort of place, is that you can have access to so much more in the way of supplies and preparations. Give me a couple of weeks and taking my place will be similar to the landing on the beach on D Day. I KNOW how to establish deadly killing fields. Everyplace that someone would jump into or hide behind will kill them and me and mine will be dug in with an almost inexhaustible supply of ammo.

Those people running from the cities that you talk about will NOT be trained and organized warriors dedicated to taking me down. They will quickly decide to find an easier nut to crack. I have access to explosives and will be so nice as to make them places to hide when I start shooting. When they jump in those ditches they won;t live to come out. Afterward I will put the heads of the dead on pikes so anyone coming my direction will know what is waiting on them.

I have some experience with bikers and such and assure you they are not stupid nor are they the equivalent to the special forces trained people that will be helping me defend my homestead. I'm not a Johnny come lately to this. I have been ready for it for almost 40 years and been steadily improving my skills and picking my friends with this possibility in mind. 40 years ago I was in a militia of men that were ready then.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  8. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I would bet EVERYONE will shelter in place first. Until they see a time they need or must move.

So if in a thicket. What happens when a police/military helicopter fly's over with IR? So you now shelter in place at your hide out? That is clearly not where they would expect to see a person. At least at a home they would expect you there.

When I was young. While quail hunting, I would crawl though all the thickets. There were always game trails through them. I could take my shot gun and crawl through. The land owners even had a trail cut through one thicket leading to a "blind" that was a square cut spot to hide and get a deer. Thickets could be good as long as on IR was used to locate you.

1. Ystranc
      Are the police or military likely to want to waste resources flying around looking for you with IR. :rolleyes:
      If you see the need a three layer system of camouflage fly sheet and 2 layers of space blanket with a 4" air gap between them will hide you from airborn IR with the added bonus that it will act as a great sun shade.;)

Ystranc, Sep 18, 2017
      lonewolf likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not sure what the road system is like in the States, but once you get off the motorways and the main A trunk roads in the UK, the roads have forks and turns and a lot of the rural roads don't have sign posts, and as I have said before if one has a location that they know where they are going but most will leave not knowing where they are going, we have a prepper saying here "don't become a refugee", any town or village they have to pass through will be a fight to survive, so less and less will come out the other side.
    my area is at least 300 miles from any big city- that might not be far in American terms, but on our roads even on a good day will take 7 or 8 hours in a good car and in the summer takes more like 12 hours, walking? and across country? in bad weather? in the winter? could take nearly a month and that's without finding food and water on the way, I doubt they will make it half way before they perish en masse.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think there are about 78,000 serving troops in the British Army, Police about 130,000 nationwide, none of these are going to waste time, resources and especially fuel to monitor what a few yokels are doing out in the sticks, they will be far to busy trying to keep order in the big cities, we have always known out here in the far south west of England that in some national catastrophe we will be left to "get on with it" as best we can with no help coming from the outside, this is common knowledge and has been known about for many, many years, decades even.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  11. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    We have a bug out location. I suppose in most scenarios, not happening at our doorstep, we would bug in at home for a while. Drain our rescources and wait, see what happens. When we can fit our remaining supplies, if nothing happens, in a truck we will collect all our fuel and go for our BOL. But, you know, speaking about an uncertain future there is no such thing as a plan, more like a basic idea. Anything can happen really. Cellphones and other wifi-enabled products stay at our current.

In medeival times the kings troops rode all around the country to collect taxes in the form of supplies for the troops. Today when you can do the same thing so much faster, I don't know man, I don't think geographical location is gonna be of much protection.
    All the "low levels" running around with their smartphones so that the goverment, be it military or police or whatever, can see pretty much exactly where you are, I don't think we would stand much of a chance if there are firearms registred to us or we for some other reason would fit the role of being "interresting" in a SHTF scenario. Offcourse, none of us are stupid enough to visit a cache with our cellphones on our person, right? ;)

(4 years ago a gang of cannabis growers got caught not far from here. They had been traced using their cellphones, that was turned off, but the network had shown the police where the growers hung out in the middle of the woods every night. All according to the newspaper)

As long as there's tech it will be used to control us and track us. The time of innocence and net anonymity are long gone.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    post SHTF there wont be many people left, especially outside of the cities, maybe not even in them.
    the sheeple wont survive in any great numbers, they don't have the skills and the knowledge and they will perish in their thousands, even millions, waiting for rescue.

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The big issue for a lot of people that plan on bugging out is that decision of WHEN exactly it is time to run. Most will have homes and jobs that will be hard to abandon. Leave too soon and it turns out not to be the end rather just a temporary hiccup and you could lose your job an d your home could be looted since you left it unprotected. Wait too long and you may not make it out because of traffic congestion and problems with other people. When people are scared they are very unpredictable!!

The thing is that it would be nice to have your BOL as far as possible from any major population center. The further you have to run the earlier you will need to leave and the harder will be the decision. Another problem that I've seen with long distance BOLs is that the locals don't see you very often and it would really suck to get there and find squatters. We have a lot of vacation homes and snow bird homes here that only have occupants prat of the year or occasionally. The locals don't see them as a part of the community and in times of extreme stress people aren't always accepting of people that they see as visitors.

If you are just running and don't have a set BOL then you need to find an isolated place that for whatever reason is not going to be seen as an easy and great place to be. I was raised in the swamps and would probably go there if there were any near by. I KNOW swamps and would find a hummock (high spot) out in there...the father out the better. The Seminole Indians were the only tribe never defeated. They finally signed a peace treaty in 1927. A swamp is just a hard place to find someone in if they are swamp rats. I have no doubt that the same would be true of the deep desert or the high mountains. I just know swamps.

The easier your BOL will be to survive in the more likely it will be to have a lot of other people trying to be there. That means that you will have to have a very strong security set up to stay there.

As I've often said, survival is an art form. We each, depending on our specific needs, skill sets and situations will have to plan for ourselves and what is great for me might be a death trap for you so plan carefully. It is possible that what you plan for may not be what happens and what might be good for a social breakdown might not work at all for some natural disasters so have plan B, C and D and be flexible.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The trouble in the UK is that most people are so wrapped up in their own lives and their own problems that they'll probably never see SHTF coming, I know people who don't watch tv news or read a newspaper and when you ask them "what do you think about so and so" they haven't a clue what your talking about. lots of people are so ignorant about the simplest thing, we had a survey in one of our newspapers that said many 18-55 year olds are simply ignorant of the second world war, they don't know which side we Brits fought on, the reasons for the war, or that someone called Adolph Hitler was involved!! I kid you not!
    stupidity seems to be a growing trend here.
    I think a lot of people will just be too stupid and too dumb to survive WTSHTF.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have allowed the liberal left to take control of our children's minds. The colleges and universities are now more about indoctrinating them into the liberal agenda than preparing them to go out and get a job. Slowly since teachers at all levels are the result of this indoctrination even our little children are getting this more than an education. The big emphasis is on building up self-esteem that is sadly mostly based on nothing. Self-esteem should be based on accomplishments not participation with little to no effort! The same is true about respect. If I respect you it is based on your actions in the past and my expectations of how you will act in the future. Now people act like it is something that you are born being owed even when you are not worth the price of a 22 bullet.

Most people won't think about leaving until they have no water, no food, no fuel for their cars and no real hope of surviving. They won't get far. Most people wouldn't survive a 10 mile walk. They would get tired and just stop fighting what they would see as the inevitable.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in a country where apart from a few "hikers" most people do not walk more than 200 yards from their cars, they even drive to the local shops for their newspapers and yet some people on prepper sites talk about walking hundreds and hundreds of miles to some unknown location, they'll be dead before they get more than a few days out, that's if they leave at all, there is this strange attitude here that everything is someone else's fault or job, even surviving.

17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is truly sad what has become of a great people. My parents generation fought two wars one off each side of the world and won both of them. My children and grandchildren will live in a world where we are forbidden to even defend our lives or homes. Understand this, depending on the Police to protect you and your family is the same as having a coroner or mortician for your family doctor. After you are dead they will check out what killed you.

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Police here are fairly non existent outside of the big cities, probably because there isn't much crime out in the countryside apart from the odd diesel theft off farms, they are closing about 40 of the rural police stations because of budget cuts and they recently halved the number of officers.