Where to Store Food

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by TheSurvivalEnthusiast, Apr 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TheSurvivalEnthusiast

TheSurvivalEnthusiast Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Food storage is something that many people assume the refrigerator and freezer will always be there for. However if you lose power or even worse should things such as the monetary structuring of our society collapse than the likelihood of you having a refrigerator or freezer to store your food in is slim to none. If you want to be prepared for this situation you can do what many people have done and take the route of learning how to live off-grid.
    [​IMG]
    Applications such as solar panels, wind turbines, and a combination of gasoline generators can be used to completely sustain a home off grid. This would give you the ability to still run your refrigerator or freezer. However, it is best to be able to store foods without relying on refrigeration. This means you will need a cool dark place such as an in-ground cellar or basement. Meats when being stored should be done so in a smokehouse until they are cured.
    [​IMG]

Anytime you are butchering meat you want to make sure to keep it separate from the area in which you can vegetables or prepare any kind of produce. If you do this process in the same area be sure that you have the necessary tools on hand to clean and sanitize the area. Cross-contamination is not only the easiest way to get sick it is also deadly. Storing your food in a cool, dry place and having such a place to do so will be essential in order to have a large enough supply of food on hand to make it through winter months.

Offthegrid likes this.
  2. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    a cool cellar would be a great place to store the preserved food. It would last a lot longer. It would be interesting to study how to build one of these. How deep would you dig it in and so forth? I would keep the food there and perhaps maybe have a little stock of red wine. That might come in handy! And it would keep well down there. It could also double as a storm shelter, so maybe I would put water down there too.

3. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We store for in our storm shelter. We only have nonperishable foods in there, though. A stockpile to last my family about a month because we are only prepping for short term storm related disasters.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We made our root cellar years ago out of a military surplus box buried in the ground it keeps apples tators peaches plums onions alot of goodies well allso works as a safe place if tronado hits

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in Texas where the summer temperatures are hot and brutal. Would a root cellar, such as the one Tom me tntioned above, keep cool enough? If so, how far down would I need to dig?

Most people that I know in my area keep their extra food in in pantry's or closets where it cool.

6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A root cel

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A root cel

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Refrigeration is definitely something that we take for granted, particularly here in the United States. Most of the supplies that I have set aside for my survivalist purposes don't need refrigeration and keep for quite some time when stored properly. MRE's, canned goods, powdered milk and other dry goods last a really long time. Any meat that we have is usually like canned chicken breast and tuna. Yes, those things do expire so we rotate them periodically, but we would rather do that than risk food poisoning in an emergency situation.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A root cellar is buryied below the frost line in the zone you are in

10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Coleman makes a nice 12 volt cooler that works as a refridgerator mines 20 years old and works fineit hoioked to a battery and solar panels be fine

11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I remembered when my mother was telling stories during the olden times of the life of my grandparents having no refrigerator is one thing I had learned from her. To think she said that my grandparents food can last for a couple if days even without refrigeration. I just don't actually knew and forgot what my grandparents is doing in order to extend the shelflife of their foods.

12. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Root cellars for root vegetables like potatoes, onions, carrots. Someplace cool and dry. Drying beans and peas for storage. If you've got a creek nearby, you can store some things that would ordinarily go in the fridge. But you'd have to plan it carefully so that wild animals couldn't get to your stash. If there's snow, that's a good time to pack things away in the ice. Also, I've heard that a silver dollar can keep milk from curdling. I haven't tried it, so I can't swear to it.

It would be a good time to eat fresh, though. Just pick out what you need for the meal and snack away.

13. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I feel like I've seen something before where someone made an in-ground cold food storage using an old refrigerator on its side. I thought it was a really cool idea for when I finally retire my old fridge. Living in California, there really aren't a lot of houses with basements etc, so if I want something under ground I've got to get creative or start digging. I've actually been debating for a long while about excavating a hole about 8 feet by 8 feet and about 8 feet deep and then installing shelving etc to make a root cellar. Now I just need to make a decision and get to work.