Where Will Most Go "first" Looking For Food And Water And??? Post Massive Shtf

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Sourdough, Feb 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Strangely I never really thought about this till just now. And not something about which I have any past experience. I would assume, most would go to the nearest Fire Station or Police Station. They might start with their neighbor, my wild guess is that at some point......after exploring all easy options, the people in cities like Anchorage, Alaska might go to the massive military base, especially if they had served their country........but maybe a bases will be locked down.

For the purpose of this question.....assume about three to five days post SHTF, and the stores are empty of food and water, there is some degree of looting, and zero help has appeared to manage the SHTF disaster. Just a lot of people wondering where to go.

Where do you think people will go looking for help in the early stages.......???

2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    People are just totally programed that help will be coming, it always has.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Warehouses that are restaurant supply and grocery supply warehouses. They will also probably m=be a lot of people that are going to hit the homes of people that they see as "More" well to do. I was raised where there were grain elevators and driers.

4. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I suspect looting would be one of the earlier sources of food, and then desperation would cause inactivity in many and aimless wandering in others.

5. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    If someone is a member of a church, this would be a place they would certainly go. I think initially, some might head towards the city looking for FEMA, Red Cross, etc for help. Being retired military, I’m sure the bases would be locked down tight.

For me, I’d grab my rifle and go find me a moose.

6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Very good points, After the stores and warehouses are emptied, the people here will have a very short life span. Once the water supply is depleted, they will not survive. City folks to not know how to find water if it is not coming out of their faucet. They will die with water heated filled with water. If the water supply stays viable, then they will last about 3 to 6 weeks and then starve to death. But before all this is completed they will start tearing apart their communities looking to steal from their neighbors, because they deserve it more. Desperate people can and will justify all sorts of despicable actions.

Ystranc and Sourdough like this.
  7. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Basic human behaviour will mean the easiest and most obvious locations will be hit first by most.
    A few will know where a loaded truck is or a small warehouse is or a well stocked restaurant is
    and the fast food places will get cleaned out, how much has a mcdonalds or kfc got in store, probably more than a guy can carry if you are first in.
    Quick and easy to put a bin liner in your wheelie bin and divert downpipes to fill them with water with maybe some junk around them to hide them somewhat. pots can get replanted with radish and parsley, not many calories but some vitamins and minerals. and cherry tomatoes even sheeple could think of that.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the supermarkets will be the most obvious places and where most will go first.
    once the stores are empty most people in the UK will sit and wait to be rescued, once they've run out of food they will get weaker and weaker, 3 days without water and their history.

9. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Yeh but it rains every second day so only the real idiots will die of thirst

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not quite that much but it does rain a lot here, we've got heavy rain now, but most people wont think of collecting it and wont collect enough if they do. most will just cower inside hiding from the rain.

11. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Sheeple are not that stupid well not all of them

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most of them are, that's why their sheeple, I see stupidity every day I am amongst them and that's without a SHTF event, in a catastrophe they will panic, panic is what sheeple do best.

13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would agree with AlaskaJohn. I think the first stop for the desperate will be a church. After that it would be City, County, State Government offices. local municipalities, police and fire stations. Schools might be another possibility. There is a commonality and a comfort level being with people you probably know. There are facilities there to cook for large numbers of people, and if they needed shelter there is plenty of room to crash.

After exhausting those possibilities then the looting will start. Every retail outlet will be fair game with big food stores, Sam's, Wal Mart being the big targets.

14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think you will see two totally different types of people, the looters will start near instantly. But those are one type, there are those who would not only never consider looting, but would look elsewhere for possible assistance, as in church, private clubs (Elks, Lions, Moose, Oddfellows, VFW, etc..).

When it gets sporting.....and time to circle the wagons........the VFW hall, might be a spot that even the stupidest gaggle of looters, would think twice before launching an attack.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  15. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

I agree there is a criminal element that will start looting and breaking the law at the drop of a hat. All they need is an excuse. Law abiding people will follow other avenues until they are desperate.

16. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    my observation , the areas that will loot at the drop of a hat can be identified by racial demographics . Any prepper should consider this before hunkering down and waiting for SHTF

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that may be so in the USA but I don't think you can say the same in the UK.

TMT Tactical, Sourdough and Ystranc like this.
  18. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Another difference in the UK is that people are unlikely to expect help from a church unless they have previous links to the Latter Day Saints.
    Across the summer there were serious droughts in the UK over the last couple of years. Rainfall is not guaranteed and even if it happens there may be issues with contamination in a Nuclear, Biological, Radiological or Chemical event.
    Many of the U.K. Population that go into a serious long term break down of society/starvation event without any preparation will fail to survive the first 6 weeks.
    Most UK households have only 3-7 days stored food, the just in time economy means that supermarkets may only have three days stock during normal times, probably only a few hours stock if panic buying and hoarding happens. Most people's go to source of knowledge is the Internet, they even use it for digital radio...when the power goes, so will most of the communication and access to information.
    As for rioting, I have no faith in the populations of any of our cities. I firmly believe that in the event of food shortages we would see a repeat of the 2011 riots, looting and arson..

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  19. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    All Western megalopolises will burn.

Urban looting only lasts so long. They weary.

Organized gangs of looters / career felons will go mobile and attempt to live off of the self-sufficient folk of their country's Heartland. Such gangs will see 80 - 90% attrition. In the process of wiping-out these predators, many good and honest folk will lose their lives. Such is why we must arm and practice constantly in the use of our weapons.

The most horrific looters will be the military. The USA has ENORMOUS quantities of stored food in government facilities, old salt mines. This is because of attempts to control food prices. The government used/uses some of this for welfare and disaster relief. I don't know how long these supplies would take care of the cities, but were I a city-dweller, I sure wouldn't count on this stuff to continually to show up. The military will be charged with the task of redistribution from productive people to the cattle people.

It's gonna be a mess. It's gonna be violent.

20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @Old Geezer

I have to agree with your analyses. just look at VZ and you will see that the military is a huge problem. The people and gangs will turn on each other. Anybody with food will become a target, it is happening in VZ. That countries problems are a perfect example of what WILL happen here. I plan to stand in line, just like my sheeple neighbors, so that nobody will think I have hidden food (which I will have). That is the true Gray Man strategy. The big difference from my neighbors is that I will be armed and ready.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we will see looting in the UK but it will be confined to the big cities, looters as opposed to preppers wont have any supplies and once the filling stations are empty they are limited to how far they can travel and being URBAN gangs they aren't going to walk very far and neither are the sheeple.

TMT Tactical, Ystranc and Sourdough like this.
  22. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, many of the city gangs seem to be obsessed with maintaining control of their postcode (turf) they appear to have limited horizons.

23. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Me TOO.........I aspire to control my area.......regretfully some very large bears also are hell'bent on controlling the area.

Caribou, Morgan101, Ystranc and 2 others like this.
  24. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bear skin rugs sound like an option to your controlling neighbors. :D

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a live and let live policy with most critters as long as they don't mess with my garden, my critters and DON'T dispute my place at the top of the food chain.

Caribou, Keith H., Ystranc and 3 others like this.
  26. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I think in most cities & towns, once the supermarkets, corner shops, cafe & restaurants are empty, that is the end of the line. Some individuals may know of a food supply somewhere, a warehouse perhaps, but on the whole I think people won't be going anywhere. They will either sit it out hoping to be rescued, or they will travel to relatives. Very few are going to risk going bush, they simply will not be prepared for that in the early stages. Later on when they realise there is no help coming, or their home has become a dangerous place to stay in, then they will likely start moving out of the cities & towns begging at farms & stations.
    Keith.

27. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Realistically........that is pretty much exactly how I figure things will unfold. Only thing I would add.......I really don't think people will be able to move, as I would expect locals to have every road blocked. I would be very surprised if people could drive or even walk more then one or two blocks from home.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    People will look to the military / Homeland Security. The government has prep.s. But, for how long?! Military personnel have families too, duh! Military and Police are going to look after their own, duh! Who's keeping the relief food down Venezuela-way today? Yes!, their freaking army is "guarding" it. Military kids going to go without food, medicine, creature comforts?! I don't think so!!!

Whoever owns the guns, makes the rules. Human Nature 101. History bears this out one thousand times over. "Might makes right."

There will be few shipments of fuel. Without fuel you are driving nowhere. Have gas cans if you plan on bugging out. Better be psychic on when to fill them ... OR have fuel preservative.

Urbanites will hit-up suburbanites first, then what's left of them will go out deeper, i.e. hundreds of miles.

I've plotted-out sideroads to take should I head back to my home state. Grandma is going to make me take her to a grandkid living in my home state. Grandma has all manner of skills. I've put heavy casters on ammo crates to take heavy supplies en masse. I'll have young men driving vehicles with my home state's license plates to meet us midway. I've kept some out-of-date plates, also. I'll be re-supplying generations younger than me. Reunion time. If I don't make it, so what. Mission accomplished. Keeping the younger generations afloat, that's my goal.

The bad boys will steal the fuel they need. They'll be using picks to knock holes in fuel tanks. They'll be some monsters predating out of the cities, however they are too stupid and unorganized to pull off something militaresque. Most will get their clock cleaned ... permanently so. They'll do damage before they go ambient, so be prepared to throw lead, lots of it, rapidly so, and for several minutes ... you and your friends. One doesn't fight tuberculosis a little bit. One doesn't fight cancer a little bit. One goes death machine against death machines.

I don't give a hoot where you go, there's gonna be demons. You have to kill them. My great-grandfathers' generation had to shoot bad people. So too with one of my grandfathers. My dad's generation, a whole lot of killing went down. I've had to go with a gun on more than one "adventure". So it goes. Human nature 101.

Caribou, Coprepper, Sourdough and 2 others like this.
  29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think the masses will be going very far in the UK, we have a massive obesity crisis and most people don't walk anywhere if they can drive, when the filling stations are empty that wont be an option. in a country where the majority seem to live on ready meals and takeaways they don't seem to be able to cook from fresh- not if some of the tv programmes are anything to go by("eat well for less" for instance, there was one lady who didn't know how to use a can opener-if the can didn't have a ring pull she was unable to open it, FFS)) and what will they cook on once the power grid is down? no, I think their time is limited, very limited, once SHTF.
    not that they are the slightest bit aware of that fact of course.

30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Obviously we here in the States do not get sufficient / unbiased news from the U.K.. I've known several folk over the decades who'd moved here from the U.K. -- still doesn't clue me in on how things are going. South Africa is struggling and will go down the tubes with violence horrific in nature and scope. The United Kingdom's cities are in a state of -- no offence -- pathos. It seems to us Yanks that the "men" of British cities also turned in their 'nads when they gave up their guns.

These foreign gangs in your cities act with utter impunity. They rape your little girls, they run drugs and guns for sh##s'n'grins, and if they get angry, they cut and stab anyone in their way. Seems the British Bobbies soil their nappies when asked to go up against the Moon and Star clans.

Hopefully out in your boonies, the real men of England will arm up (legally or illegally) and form resistance groups. A looting mob is, let's face it, a target-rich environment. And the cops are usually in retreat mode, so maybe they won't nail the civilized folk dealing with the savage mobs.

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    get out of the city and you'll be lucky if you see a policeman, the nearest police station to my location is an hours drive away, they don't attend for a burglary they just give you a crime number for your insurance company, and the "London riots" of 2011 showed us just how they have lost control of the streets and the knife crime of the last couple of years has just reinforced that belief.
    luckily I live in a virtually crime free area, a bit of "weed" smoking and the odd "domestic" is as far as it goes, when everyone knows who you are, where you live and probably even where you work, it cuts down the chance of "misbehaving"!!

Caribou, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  32. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Still got that nasty urban body disposal problem. You rural folks at least got tractors and backhoes. Me I don't plan to open no cemetery services. Maybe I can find a spot next to Jimmie Hoffa for the thugs that come visiting.

Caribou and Morgan101 like this.
  33. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT there is a side of me that says leave them where they lay, and maybe the next guy won't try anything. Kind of the Vlad Dracul approach.

I am also hoping against hope that people are like water. They will flow through the point of least resistance. If they know there is trouble in an area they will avoid that area and go another way. Even the criminal element isn't looking for a fight. They are looking for an easy mark.

34. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the body problem is going to cause some hassle wherever it is, i'm just hoping most of them will die indoors.

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  35. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    At one point in time I had planned to use a semi version of Vlad the Impaler. I was just going to use the heads. BUT that plan was for the rural property and the use of a tractor to remove the other remains. A lot of dead critters close to home pose both a health hazard and a smell problem. Still need to figure a critter disposal method. Maybe just save the gasoline in my vehicle to haul them down the road of the compound a little bit. Drop them at the compound perimeters. A full take of gas will make a lot of 1 mile trips. Maybe I just solved the problem. YAY. Can't use the vehicle to bug out, so use it for sanitation control.

Caribou and Sourdough like this.
  36. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I could loan you a few hungry Grizzly Bears. What they don't eat they bury for later.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think they would enjoy my summers but it might be worth a try. Come SHTF, no inspectors to worry about and I am sure there would be plenty of Thug meats to start with. Then they could move on to the Liberals that would want to pet them.

Caribou and Sourdough like this.
  38. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The survival group that joins me , have on their property what we call the bottomless hole . It's a creepy mossy hole that for as I know , no one has ever found the bottom .Maybe they will let me use it for my body disposal problem . Actually there is a likely chance there are a few bodies down there . People disappear around here never to be found fairly regularly. I was told about an hour ago the locals are leaving their porch lights on tonight , in regard to a missing woman .

39. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

That is spooky. Not so sure I would want to live in that area.

40. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We have bears and gators to handle carcass disposal.
    The buzzards quickly clean up anything they leave.

41. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Most will sit around waiting for someone to bring them aid.
    Those who venture out will start at the first places they come to, like "trick or treaters"

42. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunate, like the HOBO's of the past, as soon as you hand out a "Treat" your place will be marked for return trips by somebody. No good deed will go unpunished during a major STHF event.

Caribou, Coprepper and Sourdough like this.
  43. anon.amus

anon.amus Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    FEMA

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    really?? you do know the guards are to keep people in not people out??

45. anon.amus

87/115

Blog Posts:
    thats not where i will go, but its where most will

46. anon.amus

87/115

Blog Posts:
    But that is how they will get people in there at 1st
    head to your local walmart/fema for food water and shelter

47. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    good that will keep them away from us then;)

48. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    How can anyone consider themselves a prepper , if their plan is to open a can of food , sit back and wait for FEMA to save them . I can only conclude some folks idea of a disaster is a lot different than mine .

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  49. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we are talking about the sheeple.

Coprepper, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  50. anon.amus

87/115

Blog Posts:
    i wont be going to FEMA, i was saying thats where most will go.