Where would you begin if you had to start from zero?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by cecejailer, Jul 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    If you were faced with a situation that required you to start from zero, no electricity, no water or food, no shelter, where would you begin? This is a very general situation but let's say you got lost in an island and you knew there was no way of returning, where would you begin? Searching for food? Settling down? Finding a fresh source of water?

srg1974, cluckeyo and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It would depend on the weather at the time. Drinking water is very important, but so is shelter from the elements. If it is very hot or very cold, then you need to get a shelter built. Then go look for water. However, a quick look around may find a good place for a shelter not too far from water. There may be a natural shelter such as a hollow tree or a cave or a rock overhang. High ground for a shelter is good, especially if the area is prone to flood. Food comes last unless you are already starving.

Remember the 3s, 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 days without water, & 3 weeks without food. This is the average you can expect to survive all going well. The more exertion, the less time you have.
    Keith.

sunnytn and cluckeyo like this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Water then shelter fire next then food

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    So long as you are not already near death
    Recon! information is what you need first
    No point building a shelter if there is an abandoned house over the hill! or a useable cave etc!

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    scout around first, see what there is first then scavenge what you need. water is more important than food, you can go without food a lot longer than you can without water.
    once you've found a source of water, then shelter comes next.

Radar likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    funny how many of these scenarios start on an island? I don't like islands, nowhere to escape to if you have "unwanted guests"!! I prefer the mainland, at least there you can move on if your location become untenable.

Radar and Keith H. like this.
  7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I dont fly and no big ships either too many years of a moveing bed if i cant drive there im not going not into crossing borders either im home body dont leave my hills often its quiet safe here why leave

lonewolf likes this.
  8. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    First you plan and take stock of your situation. That also means you research your landscape and resources then plot on how to wisely use them. You figure out your surpluses and shortages. Then you plan how to overcome those shortages.

9. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    stranded on a island with no way off or rescue.
    3 things first,food,water and shelter.i'd be dealing with food and water while searching for a good shelter location.
    food,i'd shoot or stab if i had a gun and/or a knife.or trap my food .and look for areas with fish.fishing rod,line and hooks can be made from plants on the island.
    i'd also be searching for fresh water while dealing with the food situation,at the same time.
    as for as shelter goes.i'd look for a good shelter location,even if i have to go with a temporary shelter while i build my permanent shelter.
    then i'd start checking out the different plants,to locate any good foods that grow there naturally.and notice if the wild life there eats it or not.and i'd also improve on my shelter if/when needed,for comfort.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the situation you prioritize in order of the dangers to your survival. If it is cold or even cool and raining you can die of exposure before you even come close to dying of thirst or starvation. If it is warm and dry and you have shade then water comes first. Without shade you may be in danger of heat stroke or dehydration from sweating. On another thought if there are dangerous critters after you then you need to escape that or defend yourself first. In that case making a weapon might be what is needed first.

The FIRST thing that you need to do in ANY situation is calmly analyze your situation and then come together with your plan of action based on the REALITIES of your situation. Think first then act. What you need to understand is that what we are doing right now is actually the beginning of that action. Forethought makes it a lot easier to make a quick plan of action when something bad happens. Often the forethought leads to fast action and that can be the difference between the quick and the dead.