Which Is Your Most Stubborn Vice?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by remnant, May 21, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I an not an alcoholic but I have been struggling with the vice of beer drinking for quite some time now. I fall into the trap when I get a windfall sometimes after a long period of abstinence. It seems to be a vicious cycle but I have decided to break out once and for all, no matter what and this involves summoning the power of faith to break free. Do you have a grinding vice which you wish to quit?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am proud to say that I have no vice to speak of. By let me share other people's vice. My husband used to be a heavy smoker for many decades until he had difficulty breathing so he quit just like that. No cold turkey, no withdrawal symptoms. I admire his firm resolve in quitting his smoking habit. My father was a heavy drinker and maybe he was already alcoholic. He couldn't stop his drinking until he was discovered to have a problem with his liver. Sad to say, it was too late for the liver cancer was already in an advanced stage. He died after a year of agony.

3. wizzywiz

wizzywiz New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any vice either. But one thing i would like to do away with is laziness, especially when i am all alone in my house without anyone to talk to.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if its a vice, but I don't trust other people and never will.

5. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    Being a child of the sixties, I was adopted by my Uncle Samuel and sent away to the land of boredom, fear, angry strangers, and lots of weed. Afterwards, in college, I acquired even more vices, some involving little spoons and other paraphernalia. Fortunately, by the time I reached my early thirties, I had given all of them up, except for the most deadly drug of all: nicotine. I was hooked until the afternoon of June 24, 2002. I was 57.

Anyone who really is a survivalist as opposed to having a camouflage-clothing hobby will do what is necessary to survive. Statistically, the two best ways to survive -- and everyone knows this -- is to stop smoking and fasten your seat belt when you get in your vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, being healthy -- physically, emotionally, and mentally -- are a hell of a lot more important than anything else you can do.

Christ knows stopping smoking is difficult. There is no easy way. If you haven't quit, quit now. If you quit and fail, quit again. Sooner or later you will succeed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Potato Chips. I am guilty as sin. They are worse than heroine. I cannot live without them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I no longer have any vices to give up. I never did drink much. Stopped all drug (weed) use when I started to have children. Can't say don't, if dad does. Quite smoking about 4 years ago. No must have foods, except maybe coffee and I could give that up if needed. I do like my cookies but again not required.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Knives and sporting goods...I can't seem to stop buying them!! I drink a little beer. I don't like it very much but I hurt a lot and refuse to take pain medications. I quit tobacco over 30 years ago. The only drug that I ever had any use for is marijuana and I still will partake of it occasionally. I don't confider a little pot or booze as vices any more than soft drinks, coffee, tea or other caffeinated drinks. A vice is something that you do that has harmful effects on your life or the life of others. If I want to drink an occasional beer or two, smoke a joint or eat a bonbon that is not a vice as long as I don't do it in excess or allow it to become a must have thing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      332/345

Blog Posts:
    Coffee, and I’m not giving it up!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    How can you possibly call the Nectar of the Gods as a "vice"? Forsooth!!

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  11. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Alaskajohn & Duncan....This is why I have the AKA...coffee...I quit all caffine about 46 years ago and my head hurt so bad, I actually thought I would die. When questioned about what was going on, I said well someone said caffine is bad for you, so I quit it. They told me it was lack of caffine, so I tanked up on coffee again, and swore to never stop drinking it again. I tell everyone, I could never imagine being a thief, BUT, if begging, batering, anything else did not work to get coffee, I would steal coffee, even if I had to just dip it in my cheeks...yucky.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I really like my coffee (12 to 16 cups per day) but I can and have quit from time to time, due to circumstances. I will admit I do stock pile it, when ever it is on sale. If a SHTF event lasted long enough, I would run and and go through a few weeks of nasty headaches but that is all. Been there, done that and is not fun but doable.