Which Weapon Do You Carry Around?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Joshmoy, Jul 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    All over the world, from the north to south, people are always seen, going about their daily businesses. Nobody can be too sure of the weapons others carry around for protection.

Some carry guns, knives and a host of other weapons for personal protection.

What weapon do you carry around to protect yourself ?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my edc is a lock knife.
    but its a tool not a weapon.

Joshmoy likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The corrupt Australian government has made it illegal for any law abiding citizen to carry anything for use in self defence or for the purpose of defending others. Criminals are protected over here during home invasions, rape, robbery & murder. They can be caught & sentenced through the courts, but even then many get off with light sentences or they are let out on bail to commit further crimes. The more crime, the more reason for the government to implement new legislation taking away more of our freedoms & of course more gun control measures. Hard to believe the majority of Australians allow this to happen. I often wonder what it is like in the UK.
    Keith.

Tumbleweed and Joshmoy like this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    very similar Keith, we are only allowed to use "reasonable force"-but nobody has informed us what that is, and only whilst the criminal is on the premises, we aren't allowed to follow and attack them once they leave the property, that would be assault- by us.

Joshmoy and Keith H. like this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, the reasonable force thing is dodgy. Personally I would sooner be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
    Keith.

Joshmoy likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes same here, but some of the sentencing is perverse, if you or I get jailed for defending our home we get a long sentence , but the career criminals seem to get a reduced sentence and they only ever serve half anyway.
    I don't want to get rascist but most crimes these days in the UK seem to be committed by foreigners. a lot of them are illegal immigrants.(" me speaky no English").

Tumbleweed, Joshmoy and Keith H. like this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same here. A father found a bloke in his daughter's bedroom. The bloke I think jumped out the window, but the father caught him. A fight ensued & the home invader died. The father was arrested & charged & is doing time.
    We have a lot of crime committed by African gangs here, broad daylight armed robberies. These are refugees. They should be sent back to where they came from. I don't care if this is common in Africa & this is what they have to do to survive, it should not be tolerated over here.
    Keith.

Joshmoy likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the vast majority of people now serving time in British prisons were not born here, they cannot be returned to where they came from because of one reason or another, I heard of one the other day who couldn't be returned because the jail cells in his home country were too small!!o_O others because of various EU rules, maybe that will change when we leave the EU, maybe!!

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I am not allowed to carry around any weapons in my country. It seems the same as lonewolf and Keith described - it is nothing like the U.S. We aren't permitted not just a gun but also things like knives that could potentially harm somebody.

The only thing that I do always carry around in my purse is a pepper spray that my partner bought me ages ago. I think as a woman, and going home from work at later hours, it can be dangerous if you walk through dark alleys. I most often use my bicycle but if there's weird weather I do walk and the pepper spray makes me feel much safer.

Joshmoy and Keith H. like this.
  10. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I taught myself how to use a sharp pocket knife as a form of self-defence. I watched a couple of videos on Youtube and also checked medical body labels online to identify the pressure points in the upper body and where the main artery is. I carry a knife and a pepper spray in my bag at all times.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We live in the city where carrying a gun is against the law. So we have nothing in our body when we go out of the house, no weapon whatsoever. That's why we are vigilant when walking in the street because crimes do happen anywhere especially now with the so called riding-in-tandem, a motorcycle rider with a person sitting behind him. They do the snatching and holdups. Our only weapon in those cases are our mouth - to scream for help. But at home, we have the rattan stick like the cop's baton, which can be of use to hit an intruder. That is much safer than a gun.

Joshmoy likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I feel that a short rifle firing a cartridge sufficient for deer hunting makes for a great survival tool. Power is necessary in these rifles for the purpose of quick kills and for their ability to shoot through building walls, small trees, and the sides of cars and trucks. Deny an aggressor the "security" of walls and the sides of vehicles. You may be placed in the position of having to shoot down through floorboards or up through the ceiling into the floor above you. This takes a bullet with some serious weight and velocity.

Here in America, handy rifles are often referred to as one's "truck gun". You throw it behind the seat of your truck. These are omnipresent in rural regions, certainly in farm country.

Even in an urban survival situation, you could be taking fire from 200 yards or beyond and know that the person opening fire on you and yours WOULD be seeking cover behind a structure they have deemed secure. There are those idiots who believe what they see in the movies. They will fire out of a window then seek cover behind the wall adjacent or the wall beneath the window. It now it is yours to shoot through that wall and remove all threat from this particular aggressor ... permanently.

As for those living in countries where it may be difficult to obtain a center-fire rifle and impossible to acquire a semi-auto, you yet may be able to get through the paperwork to obtain an "an old collector rifle", a deer rifle (do go hunting with it, scrape together the money), or a rifle for distance target shooting. When the SHTF, government structures may initially clamp down / impose martial law, however governments are going to come apart due to the collapse of most world currencies. For instance, who is going to be paying oppressor government officials? A: No one. Think maybe that unpaid uniforms will be protecting their own families?! I do. If someone asks, then tell them that you have "already sold that rifle to buy some food to get by for another week."

Below are some links to rifle types I feel would serve well in a survival situation. When it hits the fan, I'm NOT leaving home without a powerful rifle and a powerful handgun(s) as back-up -- that's bare minimum. Plus I'm putting a team together for ALL activities outside our perimeter.

Scout rifles:
    http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/6-best-scout-rifles-2016/#twmj16-scout-ruger

Short lever rifles:
    https://gunsmagazine.com/web-extra-lil-leverguns/

Nagant M44 as one example of a handy military surplus rifle (it is loaded using handy stripper clips):
    http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/russian-m44-carbine.asp

Polishing the action of a Mosin Nagant to get rid of any stickiness and to make it downright slick and thus very effective for follow-up shots:

Joshmoy likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Are you allowed to register a rifle that is to be kept at your place of residence?

If so, does the rifle need to be kept in a locked safe?

If not at home, is the rifle allowed to be kept at a shooting club?

If allowed to own a rifle, is it permissible for the rifle to be a center-fire, not just a little rimfire .22 long rifle?

If not allowed to own a rifle, are shotguns permitted? If so, what are the regulations concerning a shotgun?

Are air-rifles permitted?

How about stun guns, tasers, pepper spray, tear gas?

How about archery tackle? Long bows, compound bows, crossbows? How about power slingshots that can launch steel bearings at high velocity?

Joshmoy likes this.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't carry any weapon, in fact I don't like carrying weapon. Here we need a license to carry a gun, however, obtaining weapon license is really hard. Even if I had a gun license, I would never carry it. Carrying gun poses a risk. When I am traveling in the wilderness, I do carry a utility knife, however, this is not a weapon, just a tool to use when I am in jungle.

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, I wish it was legal to carry pepper spray here.
    Keith.

16. Wes Morgan

Wes Morgan Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    Glock 23 with Crimson Trace sight everyday. IWB or OTW depending on the weather. Always

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one Joe, you are lucky that you can legally carry those items. I think that just being legally allowed to use these things for self defence deters muggers & rapists. Here in Australia crime has risen since gun control was implemented, & the government's anti self defence laws make criminals bold enough to invade homes & shops even in broad daylight.
    Keith.

Tumbleweed and Joshmoy like this.
  18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Half your luck Wes. Good one.
    Keith.

19. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    If the Law that governs my country would allow me to carry a weapon, I would carry a .22 rifle and a bowie knife for my survival. The rifle is for hunting and the knife is just a tool for daily useage.

Joshmoy likes this.
  20. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Cool! There is an artery in the neck region and one around the wrists. They are called bronchial and radial artery respectively. If anyone suffers a cut on any of those arteries and do not get immediate medical help, the person might bleed to death. Nice survival method joegirl. Where do you stay?

21. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Its legal to carry pepper spray here. To use a rifle or fire arm, you need to get a permit which is quite expensive and the process is very stressful. Most influential and wealthy people get the license easily though.

22. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Usually, i don't carry any weapons with me. I've been trained to know that should I be confronted by a thug the time it would take for me to draw my weapon would mostly be the time he needs to wound me. Still, when I need to carry a weapon for some reason I have a Shuriken (Ninja Star) that fits anywhere easily. Easy to hide and deadly It's the perfect stealth weapon. Can also be used close and long range alike.

23. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I live in a fairly safe city so bringing a weapon around would lead to more trouble than not having it. The most confrontation I have had growing up was when a motorcycle accidentally hit me which gave me a few bumps and bruises but luckily no broken bones. I also don't go out late at night and I live at the heart of the city which has a lot of security guards in buildings, patrolling cops, and security cameras. The most fearful experience I had living here was when I had to go out and buy food at 2 in the morning to the shops about 2 minutes from my apartment. Lots of crazy and/or homeless people roaming at night and not enough civilians to keep them behaved. I saw one singing out loud, one going through the garbage, and one just staring at people who walked by. That last one was the scariest of them all. After that I just bought cup noodles or something so if I ever get hungry at night I'll have something to eat.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    know you know why I have food stocks at home! who HAS to go and buy food at 2AM??

25. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I suffer from depression every now and then which makes me sleep for up to 12 hours a day. It also messes with my sleep pattern so sometimes I sleep from 8pm to 7am, sometimes it's 3pm to 1am. It was a hard time and I figure I'd just "go with the flow" of it and eventually I'll get out of that pit. I did, but it also taught me that there are lots of stuff that happen at night that can't happen during the day. During the day, it's just one or two homeless people I see begging. That night, there were at least 5 is a small area. All scattered and making noise. Nope.

26. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    @lonewolf: Someone who doesn't want what they have at home right now haha. Or doesn't wanna cook. 2am Taco Bell always sounds good even though it'll give you indigestion hell.

I carry a couple knives and a credit card sized multitool that has wicked edges. (I wouldn't use that as a weapon unless it's some really stupid situation) Carrying a gun everywhere is a bit overkill for me since everyone else here carries as well. There's more than enough armed citizens to deal with situations as is. Plus my workplace isn't really a type of place you want a firearm around anyhow for safety reasons. (Even if stored in a vehicle, there's lots of break ins too regardless- thugs are getting super bold with stealing legal guns as is.) Besides I'm more comfortable using a knife than I am using a gun- just experience differences between the two is pretty large for me. I can shoot alright but I can wield a knife with far more efficiency and accuracy.

27. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I do not carry any weapons, while my everyday work is non violent the tools that I habitually carry(including a firearm) for legitimate use would make anyone think twice before attacking me.
    The only knives I carry are an old ABL army pen knife, an adapted leatherman or a Swiss Army knife, Non of them are lock knives and the blades are short enough to be legal. None of these knives are intended to be used as weapons.
    My BOBs contain fixed blade clipper style knives and lightweight bearded forest axes, again as tools not weapons. I also regard my rifle as a tool.
    The way I see it is that if I find I need a weapon I have already made a mistake. The U.K. Police are not very keen on members of the public going armed and tend to overreact.
    As far as self defence, you are allowed by UK law to defend yourself using reasonable force. It is a good idea to learn what you can and can't do in the name of self defence, it's not all that complicated and it's good to know your rights.

28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's an idea for your vehicle: If no firearm available, make a short spear that can be readily assembled / disassembled. The spear blade will be a knife with handle shaft left bare with holes. This knife's handle shaft is pushed into the spear shaft and affixed using a mechanism of your invention / choosing. Would be handy to have ability to click in / click out the knife blade from the shaft. I'd recommend a spear shaft of approx 18 inches -- whatever feels best for you. You could affix a knife at both ends of the spear shaft for fighting in two directions.

I've read of numerous occasions wherein looters smashed the windows of cars to assault those inside or to drag-out the passengers so that they could be beaten by the mob.

Must use leather gloves. Blood is initially slick. Wrap handle with the best non-slip tape available. Rioters / felons are going to be trying to wrest this from your hands, so here's a protection idea: Behind the blade(s) and before the hilt(s) affix razor blades to the handle shaft and paint them black so that they cannot be seen. This way, if the felon grabs this weapon, you can jerk back on the handle and sever the tendons in his hands. If you have blades on both ends of the spear shaft, build hilts on either side of the center shaft where you will be holding this weapon, else you will be severing the tendons in your own hand. Remember to wear leather or Kevlar gloves when using such a weapon.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  29. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I'd recommend anyone trying this at home to make the spear shorter rather than longer. Basically, because it's way easier to disarm a longer weapon than a shorter weapon. Confusing at first aye? But come to think of it the longer the distance between the blade and the shaft the more places your opponent has to grab in order to disarm you and vice versa. The short blades are always the deadliest.

Old Geezer likes this.
  30. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I allways have a pistol on me pa a few years ago changed law that we now have the right to defend ourself i allso have a permit good in most states to conceal carry plus i have a federal class 3 to deal and own full auto firearms and i have a deputiy sherrifs id

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    weapons as such aren't something we NEED to carry in the UK, crime rates are fairly low despite what is said in the media, I lived in a city for 43 years and never had any serious trouble, its down to watching what is going on and taking avoiding action if needed, in other words-situational awareness, the people that get into trouble usually are the ones who aren't taking notice.

32. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    We have more trouble with crime in the states where they have the strictest gun control ordinances, and less crime when the criminals know that the home they are breaking into has an owner right there with a gin.
    Sadly, our news channels only works to tell us when some crazy person has shot and killed other people with a weapon (often one that is illegal), and then there is a greater push for more gun control.
    When the shooting was stopped because there was actually an armed person who shot the killer and stopped him from killing a bunch of people, then we seldom hear about that in the mainstream news.
    It makes it seem like in America, people with guns are all crazy people, when the truth is exactly the opposite. Most of us here who own guns, do so responsible, and have them for hunting and for our own protection, whether from a predator like a cougar, or from a human predator.
    When I lived out in the country, I always had my rifle, and usually a knife handy. The knife was basically a tool; because there are a lot of times on a farm that you need to cut something.
    When my kids were growing up, I also taught them how to handle a rifle and how to shoot one; so they also have the ability to defend themself should it become necessary.
    It scares me when I see how vulnerable to criminals are in the countries where owning a weapon is a crime, and to know that we are very close to having those same laws here, in spite of our Constitution, which says we will always have the right to be armed.

33. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow! I have been reading a lot of insightful comments and I am now more informed. I just got to discover a lot of protection weapons that can be used in case of any emergency. I don't have a car now, but I learnt an important tip from old geezer about safety in cars.