Who Has To Plan For Kids?

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by CountryGuy, Oct 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

?

How many of you have children (kids or grandkids under 18) living at home that you have to plan for?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
  1. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    With the discussion on the Lady Bug Out Bag I'm curious as to how many others of you are prepping around having children as an integral part of your plan.

I know many on here are older but I'm curious, for those of you where your kids have left home do you have any insights to share in how you planned when they were still home? I think that could be insightful.

Also, do those grownup kids still follow what you tried to teach and instill into them growing up or have they gone away from being prepared?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We involved our children in our 18th century living history events, which not only included learning the long term wilderness living/survival skills, but also included historical trekking. They had their own equipment & supplies, & these changed to suit as they got older. Their packs & equipment are stored in my study. My grandchildren not so much, but I do have gear here for the older ones to use. The main plan is for the whole family to come home if tshtf.
    b20355800236c773e0686b4c6336e852.jpeg b20355800236c773e0686b4c6336e852.png b20355800236c773e0686b4c6336e852.jpeg
    My three sons when young, all grown up now. But they still have the skills & the equipment.
    Keith.

howler, TMT Tactical and CountryGuy like this.
  3. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    That is so cool Keith. So your boys aren't passing it down to your grandkids? or the grandkids just don't have an interest in learning it?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My youngest son has taught his son some skills, three others are too young, & the two teenage girls sort of come & go in regards to interest. Both were interested in archery & hunting & have their own bows, one learnt flint & steel fire lighting, but both are too busy with studies at present to do much else.
    Keith.

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Country Guy,

Ref 1: n/a

Ref 2: "any insights"; My daughter was actively involved in hurricane preparations as soon as we went "on alert"/"battle stations". She helped with everything except certain fuels (not propane cartridges). She loaded batteries in all flashlights and ran commo checks on the telephones. She folded updated and annotated maps and placed them in truck. Also, she was directly in charge of what I called" cabin fever kit", a combination education/entertainment kit eg a Sony Walkman and more tapes than food, some thin,small books, pamphlets and small historical atlas.

Ref 3: "still follow...?"; Yes. My daughter and son in law and grand kids sleep with socks next to boots. They have multi-tools and field clothes, rubber boots and various size duffels. Their food supplies up in the Swamp is better than here at my shack in the woods. They have cash in case of evacuation.

My overall "insight" is involvement. The civil defense pamphlets didn't work for me and the current stuff is the old stuff with a new agency logo.

FN: Appreciate reply re Explorers.

6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Keith,

Those pictures are fantastic !

7. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm still single and never been married (yet). So no children to worry about (yet)

TMT Tactical likes this.