Who Really Practices There Skills

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Bishop, May 31, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I for one try to practice one or more of my skills ever day I am on many forms and even meet with groups that talk about end of the world shit hit the fan nuclear winter or I read this or I watched that I can do that but never tried do who all really practices the skills.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a primitive skills instructor, these days I only teach through videos. I don't practice any of the skills, but I don't have a problem performing them when I need to. Then again I have been using these skills for many years. For newbies, they certainly need to practice these skills until they are proficient.
    Keith.

Mr Boots, Teddy and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    There a lot of people that can't but think they can because they watched some one else do it.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Teddy, Blacky and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is probably right Joseph, & I know for a fact that some of those have written survival books, & got them published!!!
    Keith.

Ystranc likes this.
  5. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes a lot if the military survival books has a lot of information that either won't work or is not explained very well

Teddy, Ystranc and Keith H. like this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to do a lot of reviewing in magazines years ago, it seemed to me that many of the survival book authors were simply copying eack other. Obviously they had no personal experience in the skills they were writing about, many did not work & some were downright dangerous. But I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut that if I were to write such a book it would not get published. The publishers are looking for tricky stuff, where as in reality survival skills are really quite basic & simple.
    Keith.

Ystranc and Bishop like this.
  7. Harry Warren

Harry Warren New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    You bring up quite a legitimate point, my friend. I for one am not all that proficient at several survival skills and need to do some practicing. It is definitely important enough to make time to work on these things. Thanks a lot for initiating this idea! I hope others consider this in their preparations.

8. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I don't practice as much as I should. We camp a lot so I practice cleaning fish and cooking over a fire a lot. Along with building a fire, fishing, hunting occasionally, target shooting, etc. There are a lot more I need to practice that I just haven't made the time for... yet.

Teddy likes this.
  9. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I always practice to start a fire using wood friction fire. I can do it best using a bow drill.

Teddy likes this.
  10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I do a lot of trapping and fire making, I don't fish as much as I'd like to but I'm a long way from the coast and the local fishing club wouldn't like my methods. I shoot regularly and we hike and wild camp as often as we can get away.

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We basicly luve these skill since 78 hard work has payed off

12. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I live in the woods and work in the city. Between those two locations I've developed survival skills and practice them on a regular basis.

Fishing,hunting,shelter,water purification and wild edible identification. In the city dealing with the public you learn body language and how to avoid trouble before it starts.

Bishop likes this.
  13. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    Living in the big city, I don't get to shoot nearly as often as I would like. But I do practice when I can. I practice martial science and mountain biking daily/weekly. I am constantly working with my gear and making sure everythjng is ready to rock at a moment's notice. I bug-out some weekends. I think it's important not just to have a bug-out bag, but to actually bug-out from time to time and see how well I do, slowly, calmly, in a no-stress situation. Stealth camping is the goods. I love doing that. I've stealth camped everywhere from apartment complex basement laundry rooms, to rooftops, to backyards, to public parks, to climbing trees and spending the night. Lots of fun. Never had a problem. I'm pretty sneaky when I wanna be!

Keith H. likes this.
  14. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I practice camping and hiking on a daily basis in my work as a wilderness guide. As far as nuclear holocausts, zombies or nazi invasions, not much.

I do stay physically fit and have quite a bit of preps along with the gear and know how that comes with living in the woods.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Blacky

Blacky New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Most skills I use during holidays - there is not so much to train if you know how and what you do (start a fire). But things I do not do very often I need more than one attempt (splicing rope).

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I will practice new skills until I have mastered them & then that is about it. I have been doing this for so long now that I do not have to practice any of the skills I am familiar with. BUT, practice until you have mastered that skill or it may fail you in time of need.
    Keith.

Blacky and omegaman like this.
  17. John Davis

John Davis Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I did not start to 'practice' intentionally. I survived an Earthquake a few years ago when I was back packing across India. Many lives where lost in the Bhuj Earth Quake. Since then I have been practicing all the skills I know. If you want an Ebook on Basic survival skills: You can find it here : https://survivalism.lpages.co/survival-landing-copy/

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Anyone recieved this ebook yet? Is this kosher & not spam? I do not recall having seen an introduction from John Davis.
    Keith.

19. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I claimed it, got it. But it seems a bit spammy. If anyone would like to have a look, pm me your email and Ill forward the e-book to you.

20. jim brown

jim brown Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I myself am blessed I own 10 acres in northern Mich and have 2 friends a retired seal and a marine corp sniper. We are always testing our skills. Both of these men have taught me a lot., , We go out in the winter and have an overnight stay with just or get home bags. We hone our shooting skills; I have 2 of the best teachers. If shtf and I need backup or they needed backup we would be there for each other. JR Brown Chief

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  21. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    As of lately I have been practicing my flint and steel fire making . Actually I find it fun . also have a 16 year old grandson that likes to practice primitive fire skills with me . I made him a tanned deer skin fire starting bag for his stuff and one for me .

22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, well done!
    0623d28fb20624e91bff42a0fdd14bea.jpeg Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. woodchipper518

woodchipper518 Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    I do not practice enough that's the honest answer. But this past weekend I did practice shooting left and right-handed with my full gear on. Never done it before and it was very educational. Much harder to grab reloads. Found my backup pistol configuration was a no-go. Just the extra weight and winter clothing made thing awkward for a while. Best news was that I was able to accommodate and adapt but if I don't train this way every time, I will lose what I learned today.

24. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mate I found the same thing many years ago, I have always enjoyed throwing the tomahawk, for pleasure, hunting & offence & defence. Then one time on a trek I threw my tomahawk for practice at a dead tree. I have always done this when in the woods, it is how I learnt to judge distance, but this time like you I had my pack on, & that made a big difference! So after that I trained with my pack on.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    I make cordage once a week (I give it away to friends! lol), like to use my primitive fire starting skills every single chance i can ("Hey, brother, can i light the bonfire for tonight's bbq party?). AND I am harvesting and wildcrafting herbal medicines all year round, drying some, tincturing some.... as well as other processes! oh yeah, and I ALWAYS have a homebrew going!

Bishop and TMT Tactical like this.